Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S1lent

Dissapointing Demons

What demon were you most dissapointed in visually? The way it moved, looked, or acted.

Personally I was dissapointed in the Pinky Demon. I mean, why would a demon from hell have cybernetic enhanced legs? Also it has no eyes and is barely pink at all. It's more of a tan or beige. Same situation for the Lost Souls. Why would a lost soul have an engine in the back of their head?

The lost souls really piss me off but I’m not really disappointed in them. Id say the hellknight is my disappointment, they made it look cool and powerful but that really should have stepped back and made it look like the original.

The Imp. It's the most boring monster I've ever seen in a game. I don't like it's grey colouring, and it's physical design is very, very uninspired. I also still hate the Revenant for it's ridiculous appearance (a skeleton with rocket launchers on it's shoulders... right...) and it's shitty sound effects.

Rest of the demons are awesome though.

The Lost souls need to have their horns back. The new Hell Knight sucks ass. All the other demons are cool though, what I thought was the most impressive part was the animation, really good work right there.

I don't see the problem with any of the demons. I mean compare the imp now to the imp in Doom and Doom II. HUGE improvement. The lost souls are different, but really cool and I LOVED how they were introduced. Haven't ran in a hell knight, but to me, from all the screen I have seen, the Mancubus is the only disappointment. I don't like it's face. Other than that, I love it all. Just my opinion.

I think I liked all the Demons. Sure, I like the originals, but these are still very much Doom. In the original Doom I HATED the cacodemon, now it's probably my favorite looking monster.

-E

Did anyone notice that there are only 2 or 3 demons now with horns? Most all of the demons in the originals had horns. I think id software was trying to stay away from the steriotypical "demon" look. Red, tail, pitchfork, horns,etc...

The most impressive demons I've seen are the Guardian and (my personal favorite) the Cyber Demon. That thing is just awesome.

Bad design.. hmm... well, I would have prefered that they used the head that burst through the door (as seen in the TechTV/G4 video) on the mancubus, but other than that it's fine. The Lost Souls are a huge pain in the ass.. but that's less of a design issue as it is a 'my computer lags too much for me to keep up with them when they're gang raping me' issue. The Hell Knight wasn't too bad... it would have been more frightening if I hadn't seen it so much before the game was out, but that goes to show that you should ignore spoilers.

Screw Sabaoth. I'm trying to play Doom, not Quake... there's no need for a half human/half tank thing in the game (IMO). This could easily have been replaced by the Spider Mastermind... or at least an arachnatron. In general, the idea of humans turning into anything aside from zombies is really annoying to me (though I guess that Lost Souls would be an exception given the context).

The Cyberdemon. What the hell... I assume that in the original Doom the name Cyberdemon was given since (at that time) it was the only demon you come across with cybernetic enhancements (though of course this was changed in Doom 2). Given this you would think that, even if this is a retelling, they would design the creature to hold up to it's name. The pinky demon has cybernetics, the Lost Soul has cybernetics, the Mancubus has cybernetics, and Sabaoth... well, screw Sabaoth. So if someone came up to you and (assuming you had no previous knowledge) said "OMFG it's teh Cyberdemon!!!11" what would you assume he was talking about? All of those lesser creatures I mentioned have either more cybernetics, or at least a greater proportion of cybernetics as compared to the actualy Cyberdemon. Seriously... all it is now is a giant red bull with a facemask, a rocket for one of it's hands, and an engine on it's upper back (which seems to have no purpose other that the 'see, it does have cybernetics on it!' claim). And it's body just seems frail when compared to the bulkiness of the original. As for fear factor... it's hard to be afraid of something you can't fight. You completely lose the 'oh shit it's coming this way! gotta reload!' factor of it. All you really have to worry about in that level is blowing the weak-as-hell enemies to, well, hell, until the cube is powerfull enough to use. I'm sure it adds to the plot and all, but it doesn't do much as far as the final confrontation. And Bertrugers involvement in all this (if I understand it correctly)... what the hell... (And on a side note, there's a very distict parallel between the last part of Doom 3 and of RTCW, but I'm sure everyone knows that by now) Anyway, I for one can't wait to see the damage limitation removed from the "Cyberdemon" so we can have some classic style battles with it (or even better, if someone has the talent to do a redesign that didn't suck so badly). But apparently I'm the only one who seems disappointed, so what are the odds of anything happening about it, ya know?

Actually now that I think about it, I could have done without Sabaoth. Even though I never liked the original Spider Mastermind, it would have been better.

-E

Endureth said:

Even though I never liked the original Spider Mastermind, it would have been better.

*Another* spider enemy? We've already got the Vagary, we don't need any more. Even though I did like the original Mastermind design...

EllipsusD said:

But apparently I'm the only one who seems disappointed

I am too, mate. Although I haven't encountered him in the game, in the screenshots his design looks appalling.

They should've had another spider demon of some sort. I think the whole Vagary ordeal wasn't very well executed: you meet the Trites, then you meet mama soon after, and she goes down almost as easy as the babies. Yet you continue to still meet Trites long after. :S

Its pretty hard to group the mastermind in with the other spiders you know, the whole fact that its 2/3 as tall as the cyber daemon witch in doom 3 I believe is measured as a "hellovalot"

If they just gave the vagories strength and abilities to the archvile then the archy fights would be really cool. Plus wed bump off a spider to replace with a mastermind. If you’re really that concerned with spiders anyways.

I was dissapointed with the pinkies and cacodemons. The pinkies were never present later in the game and almost all the situations they were present in they were no real threat. Throw five pinkies at us so we are on the edge of our seats!

Cacodemons look pretty cheesy too, and their fireballs are sooo easy to avoid. They might as well be big flying bullseyes.

I didn't care for the final three boss battles. For only one boss (the unpopular Sabaoth) it was aesthetic, but for all three cases it was the exact opposite of what I would have enjoyed. These bosses suffer the same fate as most Zelda bosses, whereby the primary difficulty is figuring out the weakness. Afterwards, the execution itself is reduced to simple repetition. Once the weakness is figured out, the rest of the battle is perfectly mapped out for you.

It also doesn't help that these were hideously simple bosses. Even some Serious Sam bosses were executed better by changing their patterns IN SOME WAY as the battle wore on.

"Throw five pinkies at us so we are on the edge of our seats!"

heh that would be insane. Isn't there like 10 pinkies all game long?
And by the end of the game there are no zombies either the coolest monster of the game.