Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insertwackynamehere

My counter-opinion to everyone who makes a thread saying why Doom3 sucked

I think Doom3 is one of the best games I ever played. It was more than I looked forward to, and the graphics, layout, architecture, design, and overall fun-ness were great. Maybe there were a couple parts that were slow, but all in all it was fast-paced and fun. My computer could only run the game in Medium and the graphics were still awesome! But they didn't detract from the gameplay, including Multiplayer! In fact I've had more lag on ZDaemon, than in Doom3 deathmatch (though it does lag sometimes). And also, the monsters were well designed and fun, and true to the originals, or original if they weren't from the original doom originally :P The story line was also obviously based around the original Doom. Things like facing 2 hell knights (instead of barons) and then going to hell were oviously references to E1M8 (which also finally explains what happened: the marine goes into hell, but as a mortal not as a soul). Also MP is very fun and I don't think it will get old for a while. I've been playing it for a while (as wacky) and I'm having a lot of fun (and winning a lot too, which is a first for any MP game I've played for less than a week). All in all Doom3 is more than I expected and the few complaints I have are pretty much nothing compared to what's good about it.

Yes, Doom 3 is a great game, there's no denying that. But, like all games, the creators made a few mistakes that most gamers would have wished they hadn't made. Now remember, I like Doom 3, I play it, I think it's a great game but this is what I wish they wouldnt have done to it.

- They left out a lot of the original demons that I would have liked to have seen in this game (Spider mastermind, the smaller spiders, Pain elemental, Baron of hell, etc..) Basically, I just wish there was a bigger variety of demons. Maky it exciting :)

- They also edited some of the demons in ways that were a little less that perfect. For example, the Pinky Demon isn't pink and it has no eyes. It sorta looks like a slug with cyber legs.Like I said before, make it exciting, give a variety. Skin some of the same demons just a little differently. Make different kinds of Pinky demons.

- The cybernetic limbs and enhancements of the demons. Excluding the originals like Spider mastermind, little spiders, and cyber demon. A demon from hell wouldn't have cybernetic enhancements. It's just not what you'd think of a demon.

- The game is too dark. Now I know, it's all for the scare factor of the game. Well, you can have scare factor without making every room in the base pitch black. It takes away from the environment and it really steals the glory from the phenominal engine and graphics. Whats the point of having great graphics if half the time you can never see them? They, IMO, should have made blackouts a special thing. For instance, you walk into a room and all the sudden the lights go out and you hear footsetop and scratching from every side, or a blackout and you see symbols light up on the walls, or even have a strobe effect where you'll see a horrific figure swiftly move across your screen. Fast enough so that you can see it, but you can't hit it. Otherwise, dimming the lights and using the shadows would have done fine.

- Also, I played the Alpha and I got to see some of the stuff that they left out. Now, I know, it's just the alpha but there were a lot of scenes that I think should have been included and that I would have liked to have seen in a hi-res Final. An example is the Pinky Demon bursting out of the wall or the Pinky Demon chowing down on a fat zombie in the bathroom, the end clip with the Hell Knight (which I won't spoil here) or even the scene with the commando zombies looking for Doomguy. A lot of cool stuff was sadly edited out of the game for reasons that I don't know of. Some of these scenes were even in the trailers and screenshots and yet they were cut. As for the sounds, I really don't care. They were cool, I'll admit that, but they really weren't so great that I'd make a big deal out of them.

But, with all of this in mind we need to remember that there are going to be some patches coming not so far down the road. There will be many updates and many changes made to Doom 3. They did it with RTCW and they can do it with D3. And not to mention the entire world of modders out there who see these problems and change them. I mean, the game hasn't been out for a week yet and there are already more than 20 mods! Think of how much there will be in a month! So before you trash talk doom look at the fault and then look at the greatness and the bright future ahead of it.

B4 doom came out i got cold feet(in a sence) and stoped looking foward to it because i figured it'd just be like the orgional and halo2 would own it, I resently rehased my love of doom and pickedit up, Im just past the alpha levels and im playing a level every day or every other day to make the game last to get the maxmium experence, It is the greatest game ever made, honistly.

S1lent said:

And not to mention the entire world of modders out there who see these problems and change them. I mean, the game hasn't been out for a week yet and there are already more than 20 mods! Think of how much there will be in a month! So before you trash talk doom look at the fault and then look at the greatness and the bright future ahead of it.

Thats what ive been saying all along, I pretty much expected the final version of doom 3 to fall short (of my expectations)I baught it anyways so i can grab all the mods that will come out for it.

In all honesty, I fail to see the multitude of problems that everyone seems to be complaining about. Maybe I bought some hyper-intelligent version of the game or something, but I'm frikkin' enjoying this game more than I every had any other game.

Everything seems to be hitting its mark, save a couple odds and ends which really leave your mind after about three seconds. The game is so edgy and immersive, and so diabolic, I can't say no to it.

Let everyone else mong up the forums with trashtalk. Doom 3 lives on.

Some people will like it, some won't. This is the same with every other game. It's not gonna please everyone.

Whats the logic behinde comming on our boards and trying to tell us how bad they "Think" it sucked then?

There is no logic in that, that’s why no one is “comming" on our boards and trying to tell us how bad they think it sucks.

There's a difference between arguing about Doom3's "faults" that are the result of a design decision... and discussing general faults with the game. For the most part... people just complain about stylistic or design choices, and if you don't like it... tough, you have to deal with it. However... if you want to actually discuss design flaws that are unintentional... then I see merit in that.

I grow tired of "Waaa I can't use the flashlight and a gun at the same time" or "It's too dark". These aren't accidents or design problems... that is exactly how it was supposed to be. If you don't like those aspects, then you're playing the wrong game.

If you want to argue real criticism, like the nuicance of having to listen too long vocal logs to get a code, or bland monster design sometimes... that's genuine criticism.

Or the fact that bashing doom3 for any minute reason seems to be on everyone's agenda. I can't help but notice the new forum additions being the most vocal about it. Someone care to enlighten me as to why this is so?

Its no suprise that there are plenty of critics. Every game that is hailed by the media is always picked apart by assholes, no matter what genre or whatever.

Just some dorks that have nothing else to do or bitch about. I say if you don't like the game, then don't play it.

I personally find the game very gratifying and enjoy playing it immensly.

I dunno. Personally I think there is more reason to criticise potentially bad and concious gameplay decisions made by id (like the problems some people have with the no gun and flashlight situation), than some of the smaller pet peeves some people seem to have with with the game (like oh my god the pistol sound sucks ! ! ! ! or oh my god the new mancubus is soo bland ! ! !).

I know what I think has a more drastic and long-lasting effect on the way the game as a whole plays.

Neither “wobbo” or myself count as "new additions."
(wobbo was just the first person that came to mind)

Oh and by the way it doesn’t matter who’s new and who isn't, it matters if these "people" have even actually played the game yet.

Well maby something wrong with my cd, theres not a single flaw and everything is perfect...?

Part of the reason that many people, including myslf, pick apart the game so much is because we've awaited it for so long. If this were just some other no-name game, I know I wouldnt invest much energy into disecting every little bit about it. But because I've been waiting four years for doom3 to be in my hands, my expectations were impossibly high. And I will comb through every detail with care to see everything there is to see. Naturally, Im going to find many things I dont like. It would be impossible for me not to.

Of course, I've also found many things I do like. And I think anyone who puts an extreme amount of effort into finding things to complain about will also find things to praise.

After playing as many games as I have, that are more then worth picking apart (ratchet and clank going commando has such terrible glitches you cant get more then half way through it, because your ship [witch takes you to the next level] will not appear most of the time) So when a game that exceeds every expectation comes along I tend to love it.

No one gives a damn about your squirrel game ok pal.

Secondly "So when a game that exceeds every expectation comes along I tend to love it." Doom 3 has not exceeded all of its expectations; it met its expectations and BARLEY at that.

"Well *maby* something wrong with my cd, theres not a single flaw and everything is perfect...?"

Your text reminds me of Sylvester Stallone's dialogue in the rocky movies. If you want to go into more detail about doom 3s “flaws” as you call them then you could try reading my thread, the one you posted in 3 times, for some reason or another.

First of all, none of you guys are adressing the major problems, if you want to counter the arguments of the so-called "dorks" and/or "assholes," you could at least pay attention to what they are.

Nobodys saying the game is *bad* per se, Im glad i bought it, and im still playing it and having fun; nonetheless i think its obvious that the flaws should have some attention paid to them, if only AT LEAST to let future level designers know what Id is doign wrong in the originals

the two main problems as I and LOTS of other people in reviews and other messageboards can be summed up liek this

1.Linearity - The levels literally reward NO exploration, except for once this whole game Ive only been given one choice of paths. There are secrets, but usually just in corners or under things. The levels feel like movie sets more than real places. Its actually even more linear than halflife, where at least in that game you could run away or try to outsmart something by moving around. In this game all the events and monsters wait for you

2. Repetitiveness- the same monsters, with the same attacks, over and over again... The game is rarely ever really scary, it constantly has creatures jump out at you, everything is scripted

Just MO, and rememebr i still think it is and is going to be a great game, dont get me wrong.

It would be very hard not to make doom 3 linear without big open spaces, witch isn't what the mars base was designed for.

It would have been painfully easy for ID to make some "unliniar" levels in hell. Say were you start in a big open area and you see a group of small buildings in the distance and in each building there’s a piece of a puzzle or key and you have to say go to 3 out of 5 of them in order to proceed to deeper levels of hell or get back to mars.

Wobbo said:

1.Linearity - The levels literally reward NO exploration, except for once this whole game Ive only been given one choice of paths. There are secrets, but usually just in corners or under things. The levels feel like movie sets more than real places. Its actually even more linear than halflife, where at least in that game you could run away or try to outsmart something by moving around. In this game all the events and monsters wait for you

2. Repetitiveness- the same monsters, with the same attacks, over and over again... The game is rarely ever really scary, it constantly has creatures jump out at you, everything is scripted

Just MO, and rememebr i still think it is and is going to be a great game, dont get me wrong.

It's DOOM, dude. What did you expect?

Doom 1 and even more so Doom 2 were not as linear plus killing the monsters was actually very fun and congratulatory as apposed to doom 3 were when you kill something your only sense of gratification is that you haven’t slipped away into a trauma induced coma, yet.

Well doom 1 was pretty "linear" but it covers it up by not having a "mission objective" that drags you from point "a" to point "b" to point "c" back to point "a" then to point "d."

Obviously both styles have their own merits but ID never made it clear just exactly how linear this game was.

Black Hand said:

Doom 1 and even more so Doom 2 were not as linear

You don't seriously mean that do you? Doom 3 is linear, yes, but it has more to offer than just hunting 3 color coded key cards...

Dittohead said:

You don't seriously mean that do you? Doom 3 is linear, yes, but it has more to offer than just hunting 3 color coded key cards...

Load up the any of the levels in doom1 or 2 besides the first ones, and tell me they were as rigid and straightforward as doom3

in fact very few old school games were like this, not duke nukem 3d, not even quake... its a wonder why this is called "old-school" gameplay

It's one sweet-ass game, that's for sure. However, I have to agree somewhat with some of the comments--aside from the truly groundbreaking visuals and effects (I spent a half hour punching a can around the room and punching hanging lights), I realize that there really is nothing different or new here gameplay-wise.

Not that this is an entirely bad thing; I suppose I expected Carmack to try some interesting new things, like including large outdoor vistas with vehicles. I know, I know, "this isn't Battlefied 'x'" and "it's not what Mars is supposed to BE"; well, there is an outside there, right? I'm not saying it should be just like that, but that's one of many possibilities. It's just what people expect nowadays, I'd wager, given the kinds of games that are successful right now. Surely the mod community will be able to do something different with it.

I'm not complaining. The faults in the game are small and easy to deal with. I'm just pointing out things which I felt could have been changed for the better. It's really not a big deal. And like I said before, you can always mod it.

Yea there is really very little reason why they couldn't have created a scenario were doom guy gets a say 15 minute supply of oxygen and your supposed to ride some haloish jeep from one facility to another all the while shooting various creatures that pop out at you.

Hell the physics engine of say a rocket hitting the jeep alone would be nice. But the workers at Id decided that Satan’s red tail would pull them all down to hell if they ever changed the general pace of the game. Even for short durations.

How about this, instead of ranting on a forum about a game you don't like. Sell it. Get rid of it and sell it to a gamer who would appreciate it.

There's really no sense in posting a thread and multiple replies, saying how you hate a game, when you can just as easily sell it.

So really, either wait for the mods, quit playing Doom 3, sell it, or please stop telling us how sucky you think Doom 3 is because it's not really influencing anyone.

I never at any point said that Doom 3 was "sucky" I said that there’s “sucky” things about it, There is a substantial difference, try measuring it some time.

On the flipside every time someone starts talking about "how perfect" the game is I have every right to post a conflicting opinion,(Moderators have made this clear) and if the person who loves doom 3 so much has to stoop down into the proverbial sewer in order to attack my position you can expect me to jump right down in after them.

If you think that doom 3 is the greatest game on the planet that’s great I have no problem with that, and I won’t even try to convince you otherwise, but when you hijack someone else’s thread so you can make a hopelessly pathetic attempt to argue and then quickly degrade into endless name calling then screw you, your telling the wrong person to leave.

I don’t recall hijacking anyone’s threads and dragging them to the ground, unless it’s a direct challenge to my opinion, or me, like this one. I go into threads that are already “negatively oriented” with doom 3 and discuss in there.

“And I’m saying that for some people its a plus and for other people its a minus.”

I don’t post many times saying how I hate a Doom 3, I post once usually referencing someone ELSE who’s posted something illogical or agreeable. If you and a group of others elongate the inevitable processes of me steam rolling over you with sheer logic and fact then I guess you’re pretty much screwed and should give up arguing with me.

Personally this thread was pretty much dead it was over a page down and out of sight. Out of “people” to argue with or compatriots to agree with. If you wanted to restart the general “thrust against the infidelic doom haters” Then your going to have to make more substantial posts then an enlarged version of “shut up” witch is really all you or anyone else within your general party has come up with recently.