Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raptor

20 doom³ mods, any of em really a map and gun mod?

They arent mods unless they have new guns and new maps, so is there any real mods out yet?

Uh would you classify my flamethrower mod as a real mod? No maps but not sure why it needs new maps besides current maps don't have spawn points for the weapon (anyone who installs it should be able to place flamethrower weapons on maps though).

If you are looking for a mod with a lot of changes it takes time. Every single game that has been easily moddable took decent time before mods imparted major changes on to the original game.

Leme get something straight, I consider what you made to be a "weapon" mod, cause it adds 1 part of new gameplay (I dont know if theres other things you added in it, if you have added something else then im sorry), something that lets say has a new gun and a new map would be a Complete mod, something with a few maps and such i would consider a map pack. To be more acurate, Im looking for Map packs and such, I saw the most resent new (Real) map E1M1 and i must say its damn impressive to have something like that so soon, Im not dissing anyone, so dont take offence. I thought that someone had made a few mods b4 the game released, also were can i see a list of the 20+ so far, i cant seam to find anything like that.

Sorry if i offened you, Keep up your work.

Jon said:

anything which 'modifies' the game is a mod in my book.

Fair enough.

Don't expect any big mods for a month or two, and don;t expect any uber-good maps until the Quake mappers figure out the new Radient's quirks.

Raptor said:

Leme get something straight, I consider what you made to be a "weapon" mod, cause it adds 1 part of new gameplay (I dont know if theres other things you added in it, if you have added something else then im sorry), something that lets say has a new gun and a new map would be a Complete mod, something with a few maps and such i would consider a map pack.
Sorry if i offened you, Keep up your work.

Hehe okay, I was just curious on your definations. I agree with you its a weapon mod but you were making it sound like the only thing that is a real mod is if it has both maps and weapons. I call that a partial conversion myself (and total conversion with massive changes). Good maps are ********ly(why is d-e-f-i-n-a-t-e censored?) going to take time to come out and so far there isn't much to do with modding currently besides making new weapons and some various modifications to AI characters. Hopefully with the SDK release we get the source code to the gamex86.dll (because I feel like making a pinball, pong, pacman (hmmm that would be interesting PacMan with guns to shoot the zombies as you run around), or some other completely different game inside of Doom 3).

I'd like to point out the abbreviation "MOD".

--------------------------------------------
MOD = Modification

Modification:

1. The act of modifying or the condition of being modified.
2. A result of modifying.
3. A small alteration, adjustment, or limitation.

Modify:

1. To change in form or character; alter.
--------------------------------------------

It doesn't have to be a total conversion to be a mod.

In fact, the term came into common use in order to distinguish between minor and major changes. IMO, we should coin the term "major conversion" for mods that are major but not total.

This could be a good terminological learning experience.

lol

MOD = Modification
- Small alteration: Changes small parts of the games (weapon, skin, etc..)
- Major alteration: Changes most, but not all of the game. (Complete sound change, new arsenal skins, etc...)
- Total conversion: Changes every aspect of the game (new weapon, player, and enemy skins. Includes new maps or different looks etc..)

These are the 3 catagories that mods fall under. Learn them well.