Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gammy

Doom3 keeps freezing on me...i have the specs for sure

ok so doom 3 should work on my computer without a doubt. 3.4 ghz, 1 gig of ram dual highway, 128 ati 9700. i have directx 9.0c, and my latest video drivers. The game will run fine till i get to one certain point in the game and then it freezes. Mind you i am running the game on medium graphics on 800 x 600. I couldn't tell you what the problem is. If anyone has any help for me that would be fantastic. THanks a ton

Yea dude same here, i have a 2.1 GHz ATI 9700 pro..same specs as you no idea what the problem is.

Doom 3 used to crash on me a lot. I have a P4 2.8Ghz w/ HT, 512 Ram, ATI Radeon 9800.

What seemed to fix it for me was the ATI 4.9 Beta Catalyst drivers. Havent had it crash yet. (And Ive been playing a lot)

Hmm, im having the same problem, barton 3200+ 512mg ddr-3200, radeon 9700 pro 128, it seems to be a problem with the radeon cards :( ill try the new drivers

To be quite honest its most likely our ATI Cards. When I got my last system I thought I'd give ATI a try, I'm not very impressed so I'll go back to Nvidia when the new cards come out.

I had a similar problem with both Doom 3 and Call of Duty.

I have an ATI Radeon 9600XT. I've read similar problems with 9800s as well.

In both Doom 3 and Call of Duty, I could play on lower settings just fine, on higher settings it would freeze and crash after several minutes. I knew my machine was fast enough, everything ran perfectly smooth up until the crash, then it would freeze.

Here is how I fixed it:
1) first of all make sure you have the latest drivers from ATI.
2) go to "Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced Settings"
3) under the "ATI VPU Recover" tab, make sure that feature is disabled. Uncheck the "Enable VPU Recover" box
4) go to the "Troubleshoot" tab
5) move the slider ONE TICK down from "Full" this really won't change performance, don't worry
6) go to the "ATI SMARTGART(tm)" tab.
7) disable Fast Write

After doing all this, I was able to play both Call of Duty and Doom 3 on much higher settings without any freezing problems at all.

I now run Doom 3 on "High" quality really smoothly and I can play hours at a time with no freezing/crashing issues at all.

Hope that helps.