Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jomero

Question about the Ending (obviously contains spoilers)

Ok, so I beat Cybey last night (though I am a little upset I can't just take him down with conventional weapons. I miss my old Cyberdemon shotgun battles).

But my question is, what happened to Betruger? I know we see his face at the end. But what does it mean? Did he get EATEN by that demon dragon? Did he turn INTO that demon dragon? Is he MERGED with that demon dragon? It doesn't seem very clear.

I would prefer it to be the first one, him being eaten by it. That's the way hell should operate. If you fail the legions of hell, even once, you're toast. I dunno.

Thoughts?

-Jomero

I didn't know exactly what that was either... although i thought that last part was VERY movie like\quality

My Possibilities:

1) He was a demon in disguise all along
2) He became a demon
3) He ate to many milk duds

what do you guys think?

I think it was meant to symbolize that he is now stuck in hell as his price for being an evil mofo. Maybe they should have been more clear by like showing him getting reamed from behind by Satan, but ehhh, this did fine =).

What i really wanna know, is... Does Doomguy get an attitude after all this? I mean, if I was doomguy... Well, according to the game, you kinda are... But anyway, if I was doomguy, by the end of it all, after killing hundreds of demons, i'd be getting kinda cocky. And after it all, does he go back to Earth and use it as a pickup line? I'd think that "savior of the human race" would be a turn on.

Heh well the doom guy from doom 1 would be one cocky asshole by that point I think the doom 3 doom guy would just be happy to be alive after all that.

I dunno, if I was the Doomguy I think I would be pretty fucking insane after all that. Ya know, fighting all those demons, going to hell, seeing the slaughtered corpses of everyone around you, knowing that all the people who helped you along died in the process... Time for some therapy, ya know?

Anyway, something I noticed was the Bertrugers voice became deeper and more demon-like as the game progressed, up until the point where you face the Cyberdemon. It's almost like he became the Cyberdemon. I truly hope I'm just mistaken about that, though... IMO it would suck ass if that were the case.

I was particularly dissapointed by the fact that Doom Guy was the only survivor of the whole ordeal. You meet many scientists and maitanence techs who somehow survived through the whole time, and in the end not one of them is alive. Since id hired a writer for this, I was hoping for something other than "You are the hero and you killed Hell and everyone else is dead, The End". Swann surviving would have been a surprise (As if anyone had survived too), but in the end it seemed like a waste of all the story elements in between. Especially since the ending made it seem like Doom Guy was the total savior and hero of the game, when in fact he would not have succeeded if it weren't for the minor characters' help. There's so much depth into the non-characters parts of the story (The PDA's), yet all the main characters (Aside from Doom Guy) seemed very cliche in contrast. Wow, the evil sarge who didn't like you from the beginning and seemed devious throughout the whole game turned out to be a bad guy! Although Swann was somewhat fleshed out (But not his stereotypical gung-ho bodyguard, which I assume was intentional to keep him mysterious), Betruger himself was a very flat character. For the main antagonist of the game, I couldn't say much about him since you only meet him once in the game, and then continues to taunt you later, but that's not much. I was impressed by that one pc in the game that a journal (Both audio and text) of the subjects who went through the portal. Imagine if you could have come across Betruger's computer, which I doubt he would hang around once he became the demon leader or whatever. That one guy who helps you start the teleporter to get onto the other side of the room gives you his pda and a video disc, and he mentions that Betruger changed once he went through the portal. Imagine being able to go through Betruger's pc and read his e-mails and his records, slowly becoming more entranced with the portal and the artifacts, until it became an obsession, until he was completely taken over by the signs once he understood what they meant. That would have added a whole nother dimension to him, and perhaps even make him a more sinister nemesis.

But I guess that's just me. :P

The only thing that makes me wonder if he really was eaten by the demon or not was that Betruger's face almost smiles right before it's swallowed. Unless being eaten by a demon is enjoyable to the insane man. *shrug*

And I agree that finding Betruger's logs before and after the portal would be awesome.

I think his head is the gargoyle daemons tongue. If they make a sequel they really should leave betrueger out of it. Or at least bump him down from the spot of "main antagonist."

I agree with everything Revenant said they should have shown a clip of the marines helping individual survivors out of their hiding places, picture a scene were the two marines pull some guy out of a crevice in a "wall panel" the two marines flash a light in the guys face who instinctively squints and raises his hand to cover his eyes. Just a cinematic moment that will remind players of the "human tragedy" of the game. I'll just assume that he was the first survivor and they found a few others later.

On another note, why is the doom guy’s face and armor completely clean when the rines come for him? Maybe I saw it wrong but he looked like he hadn't been in any combat whatsoever.

i dont think he was eaten, i think betruggers head is part of the demon, like attached to its tongue or something (like the extendable jaws the Aliens had).

Nope he was eaten. Noclip outside of the last battle and look around. You can find the places where the cutscenes took place (Bertruger being eaten, and the Marines ariving into the base). If you look at it you an tell he's being eaten. Of course they just took his head and stuck it into the mouth of the dragon, they didn't have his whole model there, but you can tell he's beeing swallowed. Plus when the dragon flies back at you and "hits" the screen it's not in his mouth anymore. I think Bertruger was burning in hell for his sins, like anyone that evil would.

I would like to know if anyone got a different ending fromt he uplink point. I just beat doom3 today, but I had made the choice of sending the transmission for reinforcements. I wonder what would have happened if I aborted...

Anyways. I wanted to see that some heros made it out alive besides the doom guy. I think it would have been better if the minor characters made it out to greet with the doom guy once again. They would also have been witnesses to how the doom guy saved the world. I mean, honestly, do you think anyone is going to believe him? Considering that all of the monsters have disappeared and that the PDA information that you have is kidna sketchy and that the whole facility looks like a nuke went off, do you think they'd actually belive it all?

I would like to add as well that the tablet idea was pure gold. Seeing the classic marine on the tablet fighting off the hordes of demons was sheer genius. It makes you think that you are that guy reincarnated to save the human race once more. The soul cube idea was genius as well. Although I do wish I could have fought the cybie with normal weapons. =/

All in all, the game was spectacular. The ending should have been different, but that's about all I can really put against it. To me, the whole game felt like a fucked up version of zelda, which really rocked! I'd like to think of doom3 now as zelda, but with a more futuristic approach. Yeah I know...it sounds dumb... =/

Great Game!

I havent finished the game yet BUt even though I usually expect other survivors in fps games now a days. In Doom 3 I expected and wanted the sole survivor. When we go to earth ( wether it be doom 4 or a doom 3 expansion ( hopefully an expansion ) I do expect some survivors and rescues.

ACtaully i think its pretty clear that they wanted a scary ending where betruger lives, and he was smiling - i think hes part of the demon

I agree totally whith what revanant said, the writer didnt do a terrible job at all, but he could have worked on some of the characters

aeroripper said:

I didn't know exactly what that was either... although i thought that last part was VERY movie like\quality

My Possibilities:

2) He became a demon
3) He ate to many milk duds

what do you guys think?

i vote for....
`cause he was always white eyed, sorta mysterious in the cinematic, or stoned outta his mind, but that makes sense, that he was or an extension of father or maledict,
in doom 4 if there is one or a xpac, we should finnaly be able to fight maledict, from doom2 u only got to shoot rockets at his headhole i wanna kick his ass with my bfg dammit!!!

no one thinks of the countless marines that died at the portal killing alot but in the end all dieing horrible gruesome deaths from hellknights and cacademons.......
......shwweet

the official Prima game guide says: "has anyone seen Betruger" asks another soldier. Cut to hell, where you see Dr. Betruger's head at the end of a demon's tongue. The demon roarsand flies at the camera, and the credits roll. Congratulation!" He was meant to be eaten. Dr.was sort of possessed by hell. But he was not a demon.

aw go ahead and ruin it.... lol, i still think he was a part of maledict or maybe there will be an expansion where !SM! YAY!! was controlling him the whole time mwahahah that would rock hard

-=[God-Mode-ON]=- said:

i vote for....
`cause he was always white eyed, sorta mysterious in the cinematic, or stoned outta his mind, but that makes sense, that he was or an extension of father or maledict,
in doom 4 if there is one or a xpac, we should finnaly be able to fight maledict, from doom2 u only got to shoot rockets at his headhole i wanna kick his ass with my bfg dammit!!!

no one thinks of the countless marines that died at the portal killing alot but in the end all dieing horrible gruesome deaths from hellknights and cacademons.......
......shwweet

But do you really think a normal human possesed by hell could possibly control all of the minions. If you look when he first announces thats hes the big bad guy on the video screen you can see a pinky right behind him. Meaning he had contorl and apprently control of hell itself.

So why would his own minions eat him?

I think Betreuger was that demon. If he was being punished, I'd think they'd do something more severe than swallowing him whole like Mr. Fantastic. We'll find out when the expansion comes out.

It seems a pretty safe assumption that Betruger was actually a demon in disguise all along. Consider the fact that "Betruger" is German for "deceiver" (although technically it's Betrüger, or Betrueger, changing the proper pronunciation some), implying that Betruger's intent and methodology were deceptive all along, hiding some larger and more sinister goal behind his actions. Also consider the plot point that the demons had occupied Earth before, and were eager to take it again; therefore, that would give them not only sufficient motivation for a sneak attack on Earth, but the possible foresight and knowledge of human affairs to do so. A sufficiently powerful and intelligent demon would no doubt be able to "project" a human image onto the human plane of existence, or at least occupy a human body, and direct circumstances towards a condition most accomodating to a demonic invasion.

Betruger's face being at the end of the demon's tongue could mean a number of things (there's a symbolic connotation of the demon "speaking through" Betruger), but most likely it was just meant to convey the fact: "HEY! BETRUGER WAS A DEMON ALL ALONG!"

There's also the off-chance that Betruger was indeed human, and had made a deal with Hell that, upon his failure, earned him some real estate in the doubtlessly foul regions of a demon's maw. But it seems more likely that, if that were the case, we'd see Betruger burning in a lake of fire or being physically eaten by the gargoyle instead.

I was kinda hoping that Betruger would be more of a Faustian character - that is, an actual human with more personality than just plain villainy, who gets his comeuppance later - but I suppose that'd be too much complexity for a FPS plot. :)

I *DON'T* think Betruger was a demon all along. Scientists say that once Betruger went through the portal he came back "different."

I think he was half posessed, half seduced by the dark side. I think the reason why demons weren't attacking him is because Betruger was needed by the lord(s) of Hell. The lord(s) of hell needed Betruger because he was the person who was going to open the portal(s) to get them from Hell to Earth/Mars. He was probably promised power for doing all of that, and the lord(s) probably told the minions to obey Betruger.

You see that sort of thing all the time in movies and in tv shows. A guy is seduced by power, gains control over the lackeys, thinks he's really in charge, screws up, and then the big bosses get rid of him once he's no longer useful. That's how I see what happened with Betruger.

nah, Betruger was a tool. He thought he was in control, but he was only being used by the demons. I mean, they basically just saw him as the most easily corruptable human coming through the portal, so they taught him all that satanic voodoo he does, with turning people into zombies, and let him loose to give them an opening to run amok. He had power there, so he could shut down, and basically fuck with all the defenses, giving the demons an open door to invite them in. But in the ending, its like he outlived his usefulness. He thought he had power but he didnt, especially after doomguy ruined his plans. So the demons dragged him back to hell. They didnt need him anymore after all, so he gets the same treatment as all the other victims.

Yeah, it's an interesting cutscene and the whole point was to get you thinking "ok...what's happened to him"

Having said that, I think he was dragon feed because he failed to let the hordes of hell through. His research and the investigations on mars led them to portal technology and the ancient ruins. The Minions of hell realised that after all this time they had a new opening. Bertruger goes in and gets corrupted, he comes out and slowly UAC becomes a suitable entrance they can use. Unfortunately for hell, you arrive and manage to fight off the horde and close the portal. Betruger fails and gets thrown into the very hell he just had control of.

If they do an expansion, I'd like to see it set on the fleet that just rescued Doomguy. They investigate the base, close it up and probably shut it down and leave mars, and the UAC cover it up. On the way home though, a new gateway opens and engulfs each ship one by one. (Event Horizon-ish) and possibly a side story to explain the fate of Betruger or see him try and escape. Oh and that dragon was bad-ass, I wanna see that as an enemy :D

This is assuming they even do an expansion.