Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endureth

Making an .avi

Okay, so I made a small map, and made a demo of it. Then in the console I typed 'avidemo demo000' which played the demo back very slowly while it took a screenshot every frame. Now I have a bunch of TGA files.

Where is my .avi?

Did I miss a step?

-E

I guess you have to combine the TGAs together into an avi. Something like Virtualdub ought to let you do this. I dunno what to do about the sound though, did it output a wav too or something?

Woah, that sucks, Might google something for it? But isnt it going to be a MASSIVE file size sence each screenie is 1mb?

that kicks major ass,
if you can tell us steps to make it ,
i wanna make my own
please

Yeah, it would be great if you could share the steps and info on how you did that.

I can never seem to get the avi demo command to work right. It always closes my game and goes to the menu. Any help on creating clips of my own would be appreciated.

I'm trying to learn the editor as well, but its the first one I'm ever learning to use. Creating and Compressing demos would be great. Is there any way to keep the sound in it?

The next time I make one, I'll try to remember to write a short tutorial on how to do it. But I don't want to write anything until I figure out how to get the sound working. That way it's complete.

-E

Its a lot like i did for making a Coll Of Duty music vid and since I've got nothing better to do...

1st you need to record a demo, in the console type “recorddemo” or “recorddemo name” and to stop “stoprecord” i think

2nd ok, to make the tgas type “avidemo name” now go grab a soda or check the mail or jazzersize for awhile and when you get back you'll find in your demo folder is another folder named whatever your demo was named. Inside there are a load of tgas, google for a program called pjBmp2Avi.zip that'll turn the tga into an avi

3rd unzip pjBmp2Avi.zip in with the tgas, check the little circle for TGA and change the frame rate from 15 to 30, click Create and then select a compression codex if you wish and hit ok.

A few notes of interest, demos can play back at funny speeds tho i haven't seen if that affects the avi or not, demos dont play sound and while avidemo makes a wav file its empty, also ID's demo1.demo is about 70 mb

i use a program called GameCam which records wonderfully high quality 640x480 vids of doom3 without a significant hit in performance. I recorded the 1:10 minute demo1 to a file of 15mb in size, tho it also records the little hiccups my system has when an imp spawns in... if you register you can record sound (and in WMA as well as AVI) unless your unlucky like me and it defaults to aux and not “what you hear” but that will be fixed very soon.

Hope this helps

EDIT: the GameCam front page has a low and high quality video of Doom3 to show off what it can do... its free to try and use as long as you wish without sound and only in AVI so, WHY NOT?

EDIT here is a 5mb vid i made then clipped and reencoded in Windows Movie Maker... Imp's Firelight

HackNeyed said:

3rd unzip pjBmp2Avi.zip in with the tgas, check the little circle for TGA and change the frame rate from 15 to 30, click Create and then select a compression codex if you wish and hit ok.

A few notes of interest, demos can play back at funny speeds tho i haven't seen if that affects the avi or not, demos dont play sound and while avidemo makes a wav file its empty, also ID's demo1.demo is about 70 mb

Don't just pick a framerate of 15-30, use the framerate the game was playing at when you recorded the demo. The easiest way to find out what the framerate should be is to type "timedemo demo000" to see what framerate your demo actually runs at. Then use that number.

-E

Oh well thats an idea, tho i didnt mean anywhere between 15 and 30, i mean pjBmp2Avi has 15 as default and i set it to 30 and got a smooth video from demo1

BTW for Coll Of Duty (and Quake 3 games) is once the demo is rolling type in the console CL_avidemo ## and whatever number you put is how many fps it takes FULL screenshots, they got really big so i set it to 24 pix/second for smoothness and some space saving.. dont know if you can change that in Doom3 tho.

But from my experience with CoD is that, well i donno how to explain it, the game slows a LOT as it takes pic after pic, it slows as much as it needs to take 24 pix for every second of play... for a 3 minute demo it took my game 10 minutes to play thru and capture all the pix and when i put them together again at 24fps it was perfect.

I think the game will make sure it takes 30 fps no mater, like the movie Toy Story, dosn't mater if it takes them a day to render each 24 sequential frames for each second of a minute's worth of film, cause once played back at 24 fps that minute of flim is smooth as my ex's icy heart lol

at least thats my understanding of it.. i could be way off