Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bogeybum

Can you make monsters fight each other?

My favourite bit of I & II was getting one monster to hit another, then watching the two of them fight it out. Especially the flying tomato things.

Can you do this in III?

I just looked up IIRC, it's "If I recall correctly" right?

Does that mean you're not sure?

I'm clutching at straws here, the monster in-fighting thing really pumped my nads. It would be a huge step backward if ID have dropped it.

Darkhaven said:

No, IIRC, it's not possible. Sorry.

I got into a room with a Revanant and a couple of imps. The revenant moved between me and the imps and when the imp hit him with a fireball, the revanant started attacking the imp. Of course the imp totally ignored the revanant, so it was pretty useless as I had to take the imp down quickly before he killed me. But the monsters do fight each other, to some degree.

The caco was attacking me, and then was shot by a security guy. It left biting me to kill the security guys and came back to finish me off. Very cool scene.

Godshatter said:

i saw a revenant wail on a commando gunner. he boxed the shit outa him.

LoL

yeha it does happen, sadly, its hard to notice because all the monsters are triggered and scripted to come out, they dont get to roam around like Doom I and II, so you can rarely lead them anywhere

when it does happen its cool though

And of course the Security bots will shot at anything that noves that isn't you.

Just don't get in their way...

I had one yesterday where an imp fireballed a hell knight and the HN toasted the imp. Would have made a great screenie but I missed it!

I want one of those security bots for my house...It'd be great for clearing out parties....uuuhh...'cept for the mess. ;^)

Earlier in Recycling 1, an imp in the background's fireball hit the one attacking me, which killed it since I already shot it.

The monsters in Doom 3 can apparently be killed by one another's projectiles, regardless of who/what they are. They will not fight eachother, if one monster hits another, the monster that was hit will attack, while the other continues to attack you. I haven't found a way to make two monsters attack eachother, as opposed to only one fighting and one trying to kill me.

You could probably script for them to fight, though.

Somewhere in the DEF files or something else, it might be possible to make that work.

OT: I found a monster_zombie_female DEF file but most of the file is placeholders with fat zombie and other parts commented out.

Wonder why id dropped the monster infighting thing until it's rare to see it? I enjoyed pitting monsters against each other in Doom 2..

From what I heard you can asign a "team" key to each monster, meaning monsters within the same team donĀ“t fight each other. To get a more varied combat experience with the possibility of monster infighting, someone can write a mod that puts all the monsters in a level into different teams.

XXoXX said:

Wonder why id dropped the monster infighting thing until it's rare to see it? I enjoyed pitting monsters against each other in Doom 2..

I hope there is somewhere in the SCRIPT files that can enable this..or else a mod needed for the classic-doom infighting.

Just another one to add to the catalogue:

I had just finished the level where you get the communication data from the last marine from Bravo Coy. The next level starts in an air lock and there is a short run across the surface with a caco or two attacking you. Just for giggles to see what would happen, I put on god mode and let a caco follow me into the air lock on the far side. When the airlock opened to let me into the next part of the base, a zombie was firing his machine gun and hit the caco. The caco broke off attacking me and flew over to the zombie and killed him.

Points to note:

I don't know if the zombie ever tried to hit the caco after getting hurt by it (he took 2 or 3 hits to go down).

At no point did I do any damage to the caco, which may be relevant.