Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

I finally played Doom3 !

I finally got Doom3 today, I live in Europe, so it took a while. It´s good that the torment of reading about the American´s impressions without having played myself has finally ended. So I would like to post my own first impressions about the game.

***The following does not contain real spoilers IMO, but to be on the save side you may decide not to read it anyway, if you haven´t played the game***

So far, I am in the Alpha labs somewhere, played for roughly 5 hours. The engine is really awesome! I´m running it on 1280x1024/high quality/4x AA. There are a few effects (like swirling smoke and normal mapping that I was already familiar with from Far Cry, so it wasn´t thaat breathtaking anymore, yet it looks awesome. Actually Crytech did a very good job with bringing the Cry Engine up to par with Doom3.)

Darkness: I had read and seen so much about the game but I didn´t realize that it was THAT dark until I played it. The game is the darkest game I have ever seen! I like it though, to not be misunderstood. Of course I played in darkness and with surround sound. This brings me to another point that has been discussed in the forums a lot, lately: the sounds. Many people were complaining about poor sounds, compared to the alpha. I didn´t play the latter so I cannot say anything about it, but I think the sounds of the final game are great! Especially the environmental sounds of hammering machinery and stuff. Weapons and monsters also sound cool, although I miss one or two "original sounding sounds". One thing was a litte annoying, they are using one genuine Q3A sound for picking up a med pack. But I got used to it.

PDA is a great invention that adds a lot of depth to the game, that other fps lack! I spent hours reading emails and watching videos, sometimes I would find a cabinet code some levels after the one that the cabinet was supposed to be in, though.

One last note about the skill levels. I´m a litte disappointed that id decided to make up new names for the skill levels. I would have loved to choose between I´m too young to die, hurt me plenty and UV. At least, nightmare is in. ;)

That´s about it, so far. I am very pleased with the game to this state and am looking forward to continueing.

Well, i've never been a Doom fan, except for the old Nintendo version which I would play for countless hour's with my brother. The thing is, I stopped playing ever since I got my Panasonic 3D0 which lasted about three days. However after watching the video's and what i've seen, i'm hooked. I will be purchasing this game really soon. As soon as I get payed (i'm only fourteen). But... I hope to god my computer can run this.. as i'm like a little below the ram, but above average on all the other stuff.

Deathmatcher said:

I finally got Doom3 today, I live in Europe, so it took a while. It´s good that the torment of reading about the American´s impressions without having played myself has finally ended. So I would like to post my own first impressions about the game.

Wait, you live in Europe and you got the game now?
/Checks date
It's Aug 09 today, wasn't Doom 3 supposed to be out on Aug 13 and not before?
Did you warez it or did you get a retail copy?

No, I bought the US Version as an import. It is very common here that some retailers order US versions of games to supply their customers before the release of the localized version. And I did not want to wait, paid 59 EUR (~ 70 $) for it.