Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
007craft

how to play with more than 4 max players (no tools required)

I just want to host a regular server (not dedicated) What do I do to host more then 4 players? my connection can probably do 8

You would need a very beefy machine to support that many players, and while some games you may be able to host up to 8, this is a different animal all together. It is possible with some tinkering but it's also buggy. The servers that support this many that I've seen sport an [id] tag, so that could mean they have something they're working on right now.

ahh.. NVM. I figured it out... its

put

seta "si_maxPlayers" "8"

in your doom3/base/autoexec.cfg file.

works now for me. I was able to select 8 players. (However I never tried hosting more then 4 so Im not sure if it will let me or if im only changing the number to 8.)

Alright you clicked this for a guide on how to play with more than 4 max players so here is your guide.

METHOD ONE - AUTOEXEC.CFG

Open up your Doom3 folder C:\Program Files\Doom 3

or in my case, E:\Program Files\Doom 3

Now go into the folder called base. If you see a file called autoexec.cfg then double click it and choose to open it with Notepad. If you do not see this file goto Start - Run and put into the box:

notepad "C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base\autoexec.cfg"

The quotation marks are important. You must put them in. It will ask you if you want to create the file autoexec.cfg. Pick Yes and you will have a blank notepad file (or if you opened the file from the folder your previous contents)

In this Notepad window add the following line:

set si_maxPlayers "10"

Replace 10 with your deseried max players.

METHOD TWO - CONSOLE

Go into Doom and in the Main Menu press CTRL+ALT+(the key under escape). This will bring down the console. Type in the following line:

set si_maxPlayers "10"

Replace 10 with your deseried max players. Restart Doom 3 and then goto Multiplayer - Create Server.

METHOD THREE - SHORTCUT
Make a shortcut to Doom3.exe
Right click it and choose properties.
Where it says Target modify it to say this:

"C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +set si_maxPlayers "10"

Once again change the path to Doom3.exe and the 10 to whatever max players you want

METHOD FOUR - BAT FILE
Goto Start - Run and put into the box:

notepad "C:\Program Files\Doom 3\Max Player Hack.bat"

Click "Yes" to create the file and put this in the notepad window:

@ECHO OFF
start /HIGH Doom3.exe +set si_maxPlayers "10"

Change the 10 to whatever max players you want. You may optionally remove the /HIGH which gives the process high priorty (More of your Memory + CPU go towards Doom3 while it's running for improved performance)

You may make a shortcut to this bat file or like me just go into the folder and double click to play.

I think that the maximum number you can get the max players to is 32. Anything higher is crazy anyway.

I figured this out in no time at all since I like to look at cfg's and tweak them. I hope this helps you guys out.

This isn´t really a multiplayer related question, but: Which sorts of commands belong into the autoexec.cfg and which into doomconfig.cfg ?

its even simpler than that. if you wish to run a dedicated server, edit the server details (name ect...) in your doomconfig.cfg to your liking. then, make yourself a batch file with this in it:

Doom3.exe +set net_serverdedicated 1 +exec DoomConfig.cfg +set si_maxPlayers 8 +set logFileName qconsole.log +set logfile 1

place the batch file in the same location as doom3.exe.

this file executess doom3.exe, starts a dedicated internet server, uses settings from doomconfig.cfg, sets the max players to 8(this number can be anything from 2-256, but i wouldnt recomend doing more than 8, unless your on one hella fat pipe and your rig is bleeding edge or better), sets a log file name, turns on logging.

be warned though: the doom 3 dedicated server is a SERIOUS CPU hog! even when the server is empty, it will use 100% of your remaining cpu resources! this is beleived to be a bug, and will hopfully be fixed with the first patch.

Deathmatcher said:

This isn´t really a multiplayer related question, but: Which sorts of commands belong into the autoexec.cfg and which into doomconfig.cfg ?

doomconfig.cfg can be overwritten by the game, autoexec.cfg can't.

If you want to add stuff add it to the autoexec.cfg.

If you go into console and type:
writedoomconfig then you have overwritten any customizations to doomconfig.cfg but the autoexec.cfg remains untouched.

It isn't a mod that lets you play 32 players it's a program. This is how to do it with a vanilla install and no additional programs/modifications. Third Method added to first post now.

I'm sure id locked it to 4 for a reason.. My guess would be that since every surface/poly casts light.. just imagine how much information would need to be sent to relate proper lighting information as well as movement in multiplayer.. it's grossly complex, and i can't see standard broadband over the internet supporting this kind of complexity, and actually being playable, for quite a while...

Despite popular befleif, it works fine with 8 players, although its a little slow if alll are in the smae place at once

teh maps arent really designed for 16 players though (theyre not really designed that well PERIOD but thats anohter story), 8 is ok.

Don't bother with the video I linked you to. The guy playing is really crap at it.