Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

Demon: metal legs dissolve

I noticed that the demon´s metal legs do dissolve with the rest of its body. One of the last promo videos showed the opposite. Did id Software do some last minute changes on that or what?

I think some folks assumed they didn't dissolve since the camera turned away from the pinky before the dissolve effect got to the legs.

Shadowfox said:

I think some folks assumed they didn't dissolve since the camera turned away from the pinky before the dissolve effect got to the legs.

Oh, ok. I remember a thread where people were saluting the great idea of letting the metal legs stay, as they belong to this world, not into the demon´s dimension :-)

Ya. I didn't really like the idea of the demons having cybernetic adjustments and enhancements. I mean, for demons like the Cyber Demon, Spider Mastermind, and Revenant, you just can't help it. But for demons like the Lost Souls and the Pinky Demons was a little much. I mean, when you think "demon" do you really think of a half-robot-half-monster type creature?

On the other hand if the pinky was any less mechanical you might as well call him a stegosaurus. I agree on completely on the lost souls though.

Not only that, but just like the alpha YEARS AGO id didnt fix the fact that the game makes the same bullet and hit sounds regardless of where it happens on the body... flesh or metal.
Yet, the sounds even in the alpha had separate folders for "flesh" "metal" and "wood" like quake3

I can't believe that they delayed the game for a full year and this is the profit of that. Geh what was the game like back in 2003!?

S1lent said:

I mean, when you think "demon" do you really think of a half-robot-half-monster type creature?

Yes, I do actually. Considering it's hell and anything could come out.

S1lent said:

Ya. I didn't really like the idea of the demons having cybernetic adjustments and enhancements. I mean, for demons like the Cyber Demon, Spider Mastermind, and Revenant, you just can't help it. But for demons like the Lost Souls and the Pinky Demons was a little much. I mean, when you think "demon" do you really think of a half-robot-half-monster type creature?

If you critizize that, you would actually have to do it regarding the original Doom as well. For me, the demon´s modifications is ok. In the original Doom, Int-Hell-igence modified creatures like the cyberdemon and Spider mastermind already. For Doom3, it decided to provide some cyber modifications for the hellspawn that was previously unscathed.

As for the new lost soul: The Cyber implants are only visible on concept arts. I´m too busy shooting them and they´re way too fast, I only see the flaming faces, no cyber implants.

Hell isnt just a biblical concept. The only thing I'd definitely expect to come out of hell is "Violent and nasty" or "Pathologically cruel and manipulative"

Besides, you could just go with the notion that the Hellspawn are a kind of entity that transforms to reflect their surroundings and the machinations of their victims. Hellspawn circa 1900 might have been steam powered you know ;)

The only thing in hell right now is just demonic souls without bodies. So if the cyber demon is in hell how'd he get a body?

Exactly. Its just a physical manifestation of the demon, what does it matter what form it takes?

Who really cares. It doesn't take away from the game, and you wouldn't know if it would add to it. The game is great.

I just think that the Pinky Demon and the Lost Souls would look better without cybernetic enhancements is all.

Eh, I like the new design concepts. Id's already done the whole "goat legs and horns" bit. They wanted to do something different. I applaud them for trying new artistic ideas.

I like the fact it has metal legs. I don't really like the rest of it-- It almost looks like something you could keep as a pet if it weren't 200 lbs of muscle. It kinda reminds me of a pug on creatine.
Edit: Oh yeah, with robotic legs. :P

hell knights now look like fireborns from turok 2....did anyone else here like the idea of the old 'mr. t with goat legs and horns' look and think it'd be completely awesome on d3?

the metal legs didn't disolve on the pinky in that video. they even fell down. and I heard that the idea behind that is they go back to hell but the metal stays as it was originally a part of this world. but then why is the cyberdemon, Well a cyberdemon? if he's in hell? AAARG!?

S1lent said:

I mean, when you think "demon" do you really think of a half-robot-half-monster type creature?

Cybernetically enhanced demons fit very well into the view of "ahrimanic" demons. There are two opposing kinds of evil, which can be summarized under the name of Ahriman and Lucifer. Ahriman seeks to build up a bone-hard, mechanized empire, he´s the absolute technoid control freak. Lucifer is the opposite, supporting chaos and extasy.
So a bulky, brutal demon with cybernetic parts has Ahriman written all over it, when you look at it from that direction.

Raptor said:

So if the cyber demon is in hell how'd he get a body?

There exist a connection between Hell and the Mars base. The reality of Hell is able to flow into the Mars Base, warping the base as is seen in the game after you return from Hell.

So, if Hell's reality can warp and mutate the base, wouldn't it make sense to assume that the demons can warp their own manifestation - their body if you will - with the base's technology?

The Cyberdemon doesn't need to go to the base, because it's able to suck the tech essence from the base and augment its own body with it.

Oh and about different sounds from hitting metal and flesh etc. : does it really matter? If you must complain about the game, there are other things that make more sense to complain about, such as the shotgun's inefficiency and the overuse of cabinet codes.

Frankly, I don't understand why the logs had to be audio - would've been better, nicer and overall easier (to get the damn codes) if they used plain text. Plus, it wouldn't have taken up so much space.

If you think of demons as creatures "augmented" with terrifying features adopted from the world around us, then there's an old style of demons with bat-like wings, tail, claws, horns, hooves, etc., all features from the animal world that we would've identified with more in the past than presently.

We also have a relationship with technology in our world. Why shouldn't demons adopt these highly recognizable features as well?

Black Hand said:

On the other hand if the pinky was any less mechanical you might as well call him a stegosaurus. I agree on completely on the lost souls though.

to make it more compatible with older cpus maybe?

Deathmatcher said:

If you critizize that, you would actually have to do it regarding the original Doom as well. For me, the demon´s modifications is ok. In the original Doom, Int-Hell-igence modified creatures like the cyberdemon and Spider mastermind already. For Doom3, it decided to provide some cyber modifications for the hellspawn that was previously unscathed.

As for the new lost soul: The Cyber implants are only visible on concept arts. I´m too busy shooting them and they´re way too fast, I only see the flaming faces, no cyber implants.

cheking the movie "EVENT HORIZON" would give you a better view of HELL :P

CharlesLagsALOT said:

cheking the movie "EVENT HORIZON" would give you a better view of HELL :P

I watched this movie twice and I like the presentation of hell alot. But Doom shows us another variation of hell and this also caters to my taste.