Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iDiablo

No liquids? No Swimming?

Relica Religia said:

Fire doesn't stay lit for very long underwater.

Magnesium burns under water.

I would have liked to have seen swimming in game. After all the engine can do it. The place is a huge Reactor so a busted coolant tank would be possible. Be neat to swim. Could be a mission to swim to point a to point b to switch to emergency water supply so the reactors don't go meltdown.

There HAS TO BE support for water in the engine, how can ID make a multi-million dollar engine and sell it to game companies without water support???

It can the alpha did have some early water design. Not fishished but it had the resourses. It felt just like noclip was on.

And I did see a lot of blood dripping down a wall. Got all squishy and nice under my feet. Smelled like iron though. Oh in the game....

Kidding I shouldnt make post like that but I did see some blood dripping now a wall in one of the delta labs. A lot of blood I mean not just what wee saw through out the game.

I would have liked to have seen swimming in game. After all the engine can do it. The place is a huge Reactor so a busted coolant tank would be possible. Be neat to swim. Could be a mission to swim to point a to point b to switch to emergency water supply so the reactors don't go meltdown.

That’s a pretty cool scenario, I was thinking of something really basic like the water traps in Vietnamese tunnels, you swim down under and up and when you surface some imp whacks you.

That would have been kick ass as well. Since its mars they could have also had a water purification plant as well. I'm sure we will see water in Quake 4, no way around it.

come on they can seperate molecules and make resources from red mars earth, molecular fuel storage.

and they still use water as a coolant for some 50's retro nuclear power core! don't think so

it's like 2145, I don't think a giant room of water used as coolant would exist, other parts of the game state they run many things on there special fuel/plasma cells etc.

look elsewhere dammit, the fact that ten people already had the stupid coolant room idea, makes it obvious that.

A: it's been in games before

B: it's a shit idea for shotgun slingin demon killing horror fest let the blood run free kinda game that Doom is

Anyone complaining about lack of lava has OBVIOUSLY not been to Hell or beyond in the game. Trust me there's plenty of lava. :)

Technician said:

That would have been kick ass as well. Since its mars they could have also had a water purification plant as well. I'm sure we will see water in Quake 4, no way around it.

uggg they are going to do a q4. Too bad I was hopeing for a few years Doom stuff. Maybe q4 will step up to the plate. But I am all ready sour to it so we will see.

does anyone think iD can make something truley original?

I started the religion that worships DOOM as the greatest game of all time but!,....

60% of DOOM was "borrowed" from the Alien(s) universe, the rest from random horror movies and religious text.

Quake is just one big fucked up storyline changed to suit how the game was changing during development

Doom 3 - does the same as DOOM but uses countless other games and movies for "ideas" (or whatever)

Wolfenstein - based loosely around WW2 and many supposed Nazi occult dealings.

Commander Keen - iD's most original concept, except he looks stright off a 50's cereal box and was no doubt borrowed from leagues of cartoons witnesed by the carmack's at a young age :)

So if you ask me there's only one logical conclusion for iD.

COMMANDER KEEN REMAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aL BeasTie said:

So if you ask me there's only one logical conclusion for iD.

COMMANDER KEEN REMAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

exept we know that ID is creating new material. possibly another franchise for them to make 4 sequals from. actually i'm looking forward to it.

you know, aside from the fact that a Xenomorph would look at home in most of Doom 3's settings, it is hard to see any logical connection between Doom and Aliens

"Commander Keen - iD's most original concept, except he looks stright off a 50's cereal box and was no doubt borrowed from leagues of cartoons witnesed by the carmack's at a young age :)"

Get the facts. Carmack didn't even care for Keen, just some thing to run on his new scroll engine. Tom Hall was the brain child of the whole series. Other then some concept I don't see much of "aliens" in doom at all. And for Doom 3 it is almost impossible not to some how move in on another games or movies traits. I suggest you play with an open mind.

It would be hard for id to make another type game. Already sci-fi, war and middel age has ben done buy them.

I'm not even referring to DOOM3,

UAC - originally was referenced as "The Company" or "The Corporation"
I really cant remember the details. they directly took this from the movie Alien, where the company has a name visible on some freights, but is only referenced as "The Company"

apart from that it was mainly the actual universe, the use of SPACE MARINES etc. all borrowed from Alien(s) and not the new DOOM3 look even more like it with the look of marines and the new environment.

even the damn machine gun is taken from Alien, others may see it as the "HALO" gun, which copied the design from - ALIENS.

the use of shotgun and chainsaw were taken from the EVIL DEAD series.
chaingun - coz was in wolf3d

I stand by what I said, I wish I could remember where I recently found a site discussing this as fact, what's that site that has info for like basically all movies, games, tv shows etc? it's the definiteive source, I just cant remember name of site.

Also check out - http://www.ua-corp.com/
not as interesting now doom 3 is out, I liked the old look

Just because something looks similar, doesn't mean they copied it!

If two things have the same thing, it doesn't mean it was copied. Otherwise, the entire world would be one big lawsuit and one big game of "I thought of it first!"

yo Tech settle down mate!

It was a joke, the fact Carmack hates keen was what I was making lite of.

you DUD!

but seriously ALIENS meets DEMONS in HELL was kinda what they always had in mind - the original DOOM was made in a time where such things were unheard of in a computer game. Back then this was a totally original idea and no one else would ever of made it.

imagine a buch of 20somethings making a game w/ nothing but WHAT THEY THINK IS COOL - that's why DOOM was made.

I am an immense DOOM fan, I think DOOM3 is the greatest game made in years, if not ever. Why? because it's DOOM I like DOOM and it's a game made about DOOM.

I guess I need more sleep before attempting long posts, but all I was getting to was that they've made the influences more obvious this time. I believe Carmack still went and made the DOOM he always wanted to make, despite what anyone would think and depite if gamers thought it was like other stuff etc. why?
coz every FPS has borrowed from DOOM, they set the trend, so naturally DOOM would feel a bit more old fashioned in some ways, but look totally fresh.

So no I'm not bashing the game, I'm being open minded the whole way, and I don't believe that Keen will be their next game :)

No doubt they will combine a few types of gameplay and storyline for the next game, as they did with there other games.

Maybe a jump away completely from FPS's, but I reckon they won't come up with a 90% new concept or anything. I say they'll try and make a game that utilizes all the capabilities in the DOOM3 engine, that DOOM itself diddn't utilise.

basically a big technology demo to show the engine off more, but w/ a serious franchise w/ a large universe around. Perhaps close to the sci-fi genre, but more likely a fantasy/D+D game as many have suggested.

sorry Tech I know my DOOM facts, I stupidly assume people will get me.
if only there was a way to type sarcastically, everyone would get along more :)

aL BeasTie said:

even the damn machine gun is taken from Alien, others may see it as the "HALO" gun, which copied the design from - ALIENS

wtf, are you on crack!? neither Doom 3's machine gun nor Halo's Assualt Rifle look anything like a Pulse Rifle. they don't even sound similiar. if anything, Doom 3's machine gun looks like a futuristic version of a P-90

isnt that like saying Doom isnt origional because It has a shotgun in it? This is getting silly :D I think expectations may have simply been higher than ID could reasonably live up to.

The makers of Doom and Doom 3 are heavily heavily influenced by other things, that tends to happen when your a human, besides Carmack and Romero have openly admitted to loving zombie flics and aliens movies. Its not breaking news.

and no no were all on crack, that’s why we care so much about seemingly insignificant things.

The DooM 3 machine gun is a P90 knockoff,Not a knockoff of the Halo Assault Rifle which looks nothing like the Pulse Rife in Alien.

omg guys don't take things so seriously, I referred to Halo to be mean :)

come on, nearly every semi futuristic fps has a gun like that now, originally that gun is exactly what they wanted, something along the lines of the gun from aliens. naturally they arn't going to replicate it, that is stealing...

DOOM will always be one of the few original games, becuase they invented the goddamn market place, if not just w/ Doom but Wolf3d.

anything that was achieved after DOOM, was no doubt thought of and possibly attempted to be done by iD during the making of DOOM. No doubt the DOOM engine was intended to have bigger things, but iD decided to keep the engine to themselves and no other game were really developed on it (ok Chex....;) )