Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
clokwerk1945

Missing media pak file....cannot connect

If you tried to speed the performance of doom3 by unpaking all the pak file in the base folder then that is your problem! For some reason the multi player game need those files! those are the pak files it is looking for. The only reason I know this is cause I did it myself! I run doom at medium quality w/ poor fram rate bout 30 or 40 FPS at 640 480 I can live w/ that. But not beeing able to play on line can't live w/ that! You will have to reinstall the game.

I didn't unpak them but I did rename a sound file to get rid of the clicking sound, but the file is still there....just a different size since i replaced it with a renamed file....could i just pull the pak file i altered off the disc and replace it??

I think so cause I went in and upated a code line in pak000.pk4 to boost the FPS but I saved the original on my desktop! after I altered the file I couldn't get on line but as soon as I replaced it with the original everythin was OK

I just read the "ATTN: Greatly speed up Doom3 performance ( 1 2 )" in this forum and someone says that any changes of any kind in the pak files will cause the missing pak file error!

This is what was said
"Believe it or not, but I actually read the user license agreement for the first time out of any piece of S/W I ever owned. The reason that it will not allow MP to work is that part of the licensing for MP is to prevent cheating of any kind, ALL mods of anykind, even those to enhance performance is a violation of the licensing, and a void of warranty.

This is from memory and not exact, but it sums up why id won't allow mods in the MP mode."

wow i can understand how they dont want any cheating, but this is kind of ghey, alot of people have complained about the clicking sound file and how annoying it is... I hope ID fixes it in an official patch because I don't want to have to listen to it just to play multiplayer. Oh well, my first real gripe against doom3...