Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Epistax

Comparison of Chain Gun, Plasma Rifle

When I first picked up a chain gun I was delightfully surprised-- I already had a machine gun and I didn't think there would be another. During the next few levels I only found ammo for it perhaps twice until just before hell. Meanwhile the base was practically overflowing with plasma cells. During the brief spurts that I actually used the chain gun I strange notion came into my head: Is this gun better than the plasma rifle?

First off I decided to make a few comparison points. The chain gun is direct fire. The chain gun also has a higher rate of fire. The plasma rifle has a better response time (time to first shot). The plasma ball has a larger collision grid. The plasma balls also obstruct your view briefly. The chain gun holds slightly more per "clip" (60 vs 50).

Now these are all well and good but then I must ask-- which is stronger? I only have anecdotal evidence here which I can't remember exactly but it seems to me that I'm able to kill any (non-boss) with a single chain gun ammo belt, however I remember reloading the plasma rifle when it came to hell knights and mancubus. This could just mean I miss a lot with the plasma rifle and I would not be surprised. Also perhaps I am aiming at more vital areas when using the chain gun whereas when I use the plasma rifle I just go for generic body shots.

I'd like to see if people have anything to add to this. The only conclusion I can come up with at the moment is that the plasma rifle has always been there for me but the chain gun ammo is quite scarce, however once in use the chain gun, frankly, feels better.

I prefer Chaingun in MP, because the plasma gun can suck if there's lag. However I also noticed the lack of chaingun ammo which dissapointed me, but I never thought it might be better. However looking back on it, the only reason why a game is stingy with ammo is because it's too powerful.

I ended up using the Plasma gun a lot more than the chain gun just because of the hit ratio issue and availible ammo. But the plasma gun seems to be less effective agaist some foes. I used the machine gun and rocket launcher for some of the farther off enemys. Chain guns spread pattern just wastes ammo for distant targets.

Overall I think the chaingun is more powerful than the plasma gun. And there is a lot of ammo for it, just have to keep your eye out for it. Just not as much as a plasma cells, that's true.

When it comes to to taking down a big baddie fast, I opt for the chaingun over the plasma gun.

It really depends if the enemy is going to respond with projectiles of his own, like the revenent, for shooting down projectiles, plasma rules. Also versus lost souls, I'd take the plasma gun anyday.

it only takes 1-2 hits from the plasma to kill a lost soul

a also, the plasma gun has a slow projectile speed. its not 'instant' projectile speed like the slug throwers. and the smoke trail the energy round leaves behind can seriously impair vision. if you're shooting at something med range ro long range, dont shoot in long bursts either. if they enemy dodges to one side or the other you wont be able to tell because you cant see through the plasma projectile (or its smoke trail).

personally i like the chaingun more, it rips through everything- there just isnt a huge ammount of ammo for it. in fact, id say next to the BFG, it has the least ammount of ammo in the game. maybe a wee bit more for the rocket... but i dont know. seeing as how the rocket does a LOT of damage in 1 shot, the ammo ballance would be different. i maxed out on rocket ammo and i never maxed out on chaingun ammo. once you come back from hell you start finding a lot more chain gun ammo though.

*edit* the 'machine gun' that the z-sec guys carry is really more of a sub machine gun, like an mp5. something that isnt large and is easily weilded in a cramped environment like the UAC base. the chaingun is something like the UAC varient of a SAW (squad automatic weapon)- like an m249 or the older m60

The chaingun is probably my favorite weapon. The feel of it rocks, and I think versus fleshy targets, like..not lost souls, it's the weapon to use. Next time I play through doom 3 I am going to find an infinite ammo cheat and just run through rambo style with the chaingun! (I did not cheat first time I beat it--it's pretty damn easy)

Even though the plasma rifle is more accurate. I found myself using the chaingun because I found it to be the most usefull and the more powerful of the two. I used it to kill the guardian (no problem) and all the Hell Knights I ran into (also, no problem). The plasma rifle seems weak though.

I killed the Gaurdian with 2 hit of the BFG and 2 more rockets he fell right over i was a little surprized concidering the amount of time i had already tryed to kill him.

The plasma is better for taking out certian enemies, the chaingun others. Using plasma on Cacodemons means you will miss all over, while the chaingun will eat them right up. Using plasma on a revenant means it will never hit you with it's missles, even up close.

Also I agree about the chaingun having more power - I am able to take out a Hell Knight with just one Ammo belt while it takes a whole lot more plasma and firing time. I found using the chaingun on the tentacle commandos was a great way to take them down fast.