Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannibalpostman

gun questions

just a few gun questions, not complaints really.

most law enforcement/military shotguns(what few are left in the military) now use the 3 sabot slug cartridges because of the body armor destruction they can produce....why isnt this in doom, wouldnt a heavy ass bullet meant to rip apart kevlar make more sense?

using the sprint-strafe method the rocket launcher actually seems to be fairly more accurate than standing, maybe because the monsters get distracted by your movement, let me know what you see when you try this

why is the shotgun pump still slow...on mine at home i can go through all 5 cartridges within 3 seconds...this guys supposed to be the pride of the marines.

lastly why is the plasma rifle power/usefulness downgraded? it used to rip through hell knights in about 15-20 shots, now the projectiles are slower, they lower visibility and the gun inself isnt as good to strafe with

once again, thoughts, not a rant. let me know what you think

i think they added the chiangun to compensate (cause they already have a machine gun- though its really more like a smg).

the plasma gun is great for shooting down projectiles though (and lost souls).

theres an incredible ammount of ammunition for it as well. they probobly nerfed its power to compensate for the ammount of ammo you find. in comparison, the chaingun is more powerful but you find far less ammunition.

also, the plasma energy rounds are VERY large so its harder to miss with it (seeing as how doom 3 has per pixel hit detection).

I really always wanted to use the plasma gun in the original doom, but usually was too afraid to waste the ammo. In Doom 3, they made it less powerful, but more ammo so that people will actually use it.

Yeah, you can pump the shotgun faster, but dont forget, your arm will get tired after all that. With him having to fight through the entire base, it's like a marathon, you dont sprint in a marathon, or you wont have any energy. Same kinda thing. Long way to go, dont want to use up all your energy in the first 5 minutes

Good observations. Now I get to do a little bit of creative writing here :)

As for the ineffectiveness of shotguns against body armor in D3, I would just guess that the zombies have tougher, futuristic body armor made up of new polymers/alloys.

With the rocket, I think you're right. When strafe running, I can always hit my mark with medium range targets no problem. Reticle doesn't seem to move when strafing.

I agree about the shotgun reload being slow. It's a close quarters weapon, but when you get multiple targets too close to you, the reload is definitely a hinderance. Perhaps the action of the shotgun is really heavy. Blame the vendor Mixom that probably supplied those cheap shotguns to the UAC. I mean the flashlight mount doesn't even work with the standard issue flashlight anyway.

With the Plasma rifle, I think it's less powerful to make it more effective against lost souls and trites. The upside is that they supply more plasma cells now so you're likely to use it against smaller targets now and still have the same high rate of fire as the original plasma rifle. Just be glad they did away with splash damage with the darn thing :)

(I wrote this before reading the replies so I repeat a point or two)

My shotgun owns doom guys, Saiga-12 auto, so why would the pride of the marines fighting a demonic invasion even use a pump shotgun, why not an auto like a saiga-12 or a spas-12?

Raptor said:

My shotgun owns doom guys, Saiga-12 auto, so why would the pride of the marines fighting a demonic invasion even use a pump shotgun, why not an auto like a saiga-12 or a spas-12?

Or why not an 80 round street sweeper with dragon fire rounds!

Point is any gun could be jacked up to high heaven in the game, the shotgun is very effective if used right in the game. It's all balance for the weapons if one was better than the other then no one would use any of the other weapons. Even though I really used shotgun 95% of the time because it was the most effective at all around creature removal vs. ammunitions used. The other guns just dumped to much ammo to quickly on to few targets to be effective to use ALL the time. But if you have noticed shotgun ammunition is all over the place, thus making it a better choice for a workhorse weapon. As far as slow pumping...it seems right to me, it might seem slow when you got something scratch'n your eyes out at close range, but I do my best to not let anyhting get that close...and if they do BOOM right in the face!

raptor, i can answer your question.
there were tests of automatic gas powered shotguns against pumps, and it has been found that automatics jam much more frequently than pumps, and sometimes actually require professional attention to fix. pump shotguns however can be dismantled and re-assembled good as new within 3 minutes in field.

....ok, the history channel really is that addictive.

Thats why there is the spas-12, Its fully auto, if it jams, you jump pump it to clear the round. just like the Spas-15 too, and the spas-15 uses mags.

As for the doomguy being the "pride of the marines", he's not. He's just some dude who happens to be a total badass.

And yeah, I pretty much didn't use *anything* but soulcube, shotgun, chainsaw, and occasionally machinegun throughout the entire game unless I had no other option. Mostly shotgun. The shotgun is unbelievably powerful in Doom 3. Unfortunately, like most video game shotguns, it has *no* choke and apparently a 2-inch barrel. Haven't game developers ever *fired* shotguns before?

I haven't found the shotgun ammo everyone else has. To be more exact it seems I find shotgun ammo in about the same amounts as plasma (one cell to one box of shells). Sure the shotgun ammo is far more efficient, but I constantly switch weapons because of low ammo.

Never mind all of this crap. How 'bout the fact that the beavertooth chainsaw starts on the first pull! My 36" Stihl has to be primed, and it's a bitch to start sometimes. I have to put it down, put my knee on it, and pull it until I pass out. It also drinks gas like a crazy drunk. Where are the gas cans of mixed fuel for the saw???...and once you hit a rock or something harder than wood guess what? Your chain is dull. Aside from cutting leaves you're not going to get through wood unless you sharpen it again or put on a new chain.

COBALT said:

Never mind all of this crap. How 'bout the fact that the beavertooth chainsaw starts on the first pull! ...

LOL, really good points on the chainsaw. I didn't think about that man! LOL

i have posted a forum earlier of a small rant on chainsaws... for one, the blade would dull from cutting bones made of calcium (and possibly iron from the pinkys) which is much more dense than wood. also, it woudlnt be able to expel the meat the chain pulls in because muscle cells dont tear uniformly like plant cells do. overall, chainsaw ideas good, practicality in reality, low.

Uh no.. ug come on guys let's not go there...

Fine. you want to be there? Ok here you go:

How come when you reload your weapons you never lose any ammo when all you do is remove the current clip/cell/etc and throw the old one on the ground? You never bother to mix and match your ammo holders such that you can reload full. You should have a whole bunch of half full cells and clips lying around.
How come the weapons never jam, given the wear and tear of constant use and such a harsh environment? For that matter why does every grenade act exactly how it should?
How come the monsters drop so little ammo even though they obviously hold so much?
How can you hold so much ammo and weapons? Don't rockets weigh at least 2 lbs each?
How come when you pick up new armor you can just stick it on your existing armor and it makes it better?
Why can't you take the armor off of the dead zombies? It's not even hurt if you shoot them in the head.
Why can't I use two pistols at the same time? Or for that matter, machine guns or even shotguns? I saw this movie...
Why doesn't the chaingun/plasma rifle overheat?
Where's my burrito?

Edit: Oh yeah, don't you dare respond seriously to anything in this message.

Epistax said:

Uh no.. ug come on guys let's not go there...

Fine. you want to be there? Ok here you go:

How come when you reload your weapons you never lose any ammo when all you do is remove the current clip/cell/etc and throw the old one on the ground? You never bother to mix and match your ammo holders such that you can reload full. You should have a whole bunch of half full cells and clips lying around.
How come the weapons never jam, given the wear and tear of constant use and such a harsh environment? For that matter why does every grenade act exactly how it should?
How come the monsters drop so little ammo even though they obviously hold so much?
How can you hold so much ammo and weapons? Don't rockets weigh at least 2 lbs each?
How come when you pick up new armor you can just stick it on your existing armor and it makes it better?
Why can't you take the armor off of the dead zombies? It's not even hurt if you shoot them in the head.
Why can't I use two pistols at the same time? Or for that matter, machine guns or even shotguns? I saw this movie...
Why doesn't the chaingun/plasma rifle overheat?
Where's my burrito?

Edit: Oh yeah, don't you dare respond seriously to anything in this message.

LOL ! :)

Namco said:

LOL ! :)

I'm not sure if anyone thought to put it in the FAQ, but such posts are discouraged here as a WASTE OF SPACE.

Ultraviolet said:

I'm not sure if anyone thought to put it in the FAQ, but such posts are discouraged here as a WASTE OF SPACE.

Thanks