Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyockell

On Board video memory

Hey well I was messing around with my CMOS bios setup. My on board video memory is set to 64mb and I could put it up to 128mb so what is it you recommend I have 1000 ram if thats the memory its refering to using with the video card.

I think you're talking about your AGP aperture, this little bit might help.

First of all, AGP Aperture memory will not be used until your video card's on-board memory is running low. That means it will usually not impact your gaming performance because developers are trying hard to not exceed the on-board memory limits.
The bigger your video memory, the smaller your Aperture Size could be. However with later games requiring more and more texture memory a good number seems to be 128MB Aperture Size for all cards with 64 MB to 256 MB Video RAM.
Setting the Aperture Size to HUGE values will not increase performance because this merely sets the maximum amount of physical memory that can be used.

think of it basicly as a swap for the video card. but uses system memmory instead of HD memmory.

onboard graphics, like SIS and intel, usally share from RAM. those cards will not run most games. we get this at work alot. infact a woman was upset about a compaq computer she had bought. the add showed all moniots and computers with a D3 screen on them.

Adjusting the AGP shared memory amount s kinda like virtual ram. Real ram is to virtual disk ram as what video ram is to shared motherboard ram. So good sizes for AGP are usually half of what your cards actual memory is. I have a 128mb card and run my AGP aperature at 64, and it runs fine.