Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cht666cht

bad performance with 9600XT and Athlon64 3200+?

Hi, I'm running Doom 3 with this an ATI 9600XT 256 MB, Athlon 64 3200+ and 512 MB RAM. The maximum framerate I achieve is 30 fps the second time I execute 'timedemo demo1', with medium quality and 640x480. If I increase the resolution to 800x600 the framerate drops to 24 more or less.
I've been reading lots of forums and people with similar configurations are playing at 1024x768 with better framerates. Does anybody knows which can be the problem? I have latest drivers, and have decompressed the pk4 files.

thanks

i had an ati 9700 pro.. i was experiencing below decent framerates in med quality 800x600 and nothing but non-stop crashes no matter what i did... I bought a gf 6800 gt and i can now run the game flawless in 1280x1024x32 ultra settings on my amd 2500+, 1024 megs ram.

Make sure you have the latest drivers, or try the catalyst 4.9's (teamradeon.com). Then, try the trick posted today on doomworld.com's main page (it's a link to a message board).

...any luck?

Additionaly, ever heard of omegadrivers.net? Head over there, and give those drivers a try. They usually increase either framerates/visual quality slightly, plus they include utilities for overclocking your card (dangerous if you're a newb).

What kind of fps do you get during gameplay, would you guesstimate?

AND LASTLY (I swear), try going to the advanced options and turning off shadows. They don't really affect gameplay that much, and you could get a decent fps boost.

Hello, I've formated and installed latest drivers of the motherboard and the omega ATI drivers. Now the timedemo gives me 40 fps in 640x480 high and 30 fps in 800x600 high, this is a good increase in performance. I've to test the gameplay with fraps because I think the timedemo is not very precise.
Disabling shadows increases a lot the framerate but.. it's Doom 3, I want shadows, hehe!! I'll try the trick you say on beyond3d.

Somebody wants to compare results in a athlon64 3200+, 512 mb ram, ATI 9600XT??

I've tried the tweak from Humus. Last results in timedemo:

800x600 Medium 40 fps
800x600 High 34 fps
1024x768 Medium 25 fps

Always with AA off and VSync off

Well... it's time to start playing :D

Any chance you have AA and/or Anisotropic Filtering enabled in your drivers? I had these enabled on my system at first and got crappy performance, turned them off and works great at med quality at 1024x768. I'm running a GF FX 5900 on an athlon xp 2200 cpu.

ukfluke said:

i have amd 2500+/ 9800 pro/ 1gb ram = 37.5fps timedemo (1024x768 high)

hmm, I think having a 9800 and 1 GB RAM is needed to play at 1024x768 with a decent framerate

KLittle123 said:

Its cause your using an ATI card, geeze. There was your mistake.

ah, i dont think so. i am running an ATI 9600XT 128MB and get 31.5 on 10x7 med, 43.5 on 8x6 on high. i think maybe his problem is hes running AA or Vsync, both not needed

I have a Pentium IV 2.26 GHz, 512 MB PC2100, and a Radeon 9600 XT 256 MB.

I get 26.7 fps on the first timedemo run and 31.6 on the second timedemo run. I am running at 800x600 on high.

cht666cht said:

HELLBOy, Have you 1 GB RAM ? Could you try the timedemo with 512 MB to see how it affects performance?

no i have 512MB but its running in dual channel so i dont know how much that helps. no way for me to test. if i pull 1 stick it will be 256 single. sorry . seems like maybe you have left over drivers that need to be cleaned with ati cleaner or some bugs bogging down you windows. only other thing i can think of is maybe you have it running in pci and not agp. you shoud pull atleast 35FPS 8x6 on high. oh ya try turning off fast writes in the ATI control panel and make sure you AGP apature is set to 128 in your MOBO bios. and what broken arrow said. make sure you set to application prefferance in ATI control panel.

Try going to http://www.tweakguides.com . Read the one about doom3,i boosted my time demo fps from 33.5 to 39.9 using the guide and that ATI trick posted by humus. I also installed those beta catalyst 4.9 drivers. I ran it on 640x480, medium, no vsync, 4xaa with about 30-70 fps. You should run on High settings since you have a 256 card.
specs:
p4 2.66ghz
radeon 9800 128mb
512 ram