Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

What the heck is an armor shard?

Now, I know that it boosts the armor value. But what the hell is an armor shard good for in real life? An armor is put around the torso, a helmet can be put on top of the head. But where would you put an armor shard in real life?

In the future, armor is covered in Velcro. Every time you pick up one of those shards, just slap it on the armor.

You don't put it anywhere. It just disappears, and the variable which holds the amount of armour you have gets increased.

Yes, it's a game.

Ichor said:

In the future, armor is covered in Velcro. Every time you pick up one of those shards, just slap it on the armor.

Hey that actually doesn't sound like a bad explaination...

you kind of patch up eventual holes in your armor with these little chunks ?

"shard" is a strange word for that tho.

Ichor said:

What if a marine wants to take a rest and sits on a chair that the velcro sticks too?

Simple. Only plastic or leather chairs are on the Mars base. Of course, Hell has only wool chairs.

I always just assumed that the armor shards were just canisters of some hardoning material that youd sprey in cracks and dents. Even if it does clearly look like an armor shard.

Black Hand said:

I always just assumed that the armor shards were just canisters of some hardoning material that youd sprey in cracks and dents. Even if it does clearly look like an armor shard.

Hey, that´s the best and most reasonable answer so far. Actually that´s the answer, I was looking for, I think. It would explain the look of the shards.

It would be reasonable to believe that a suit of armor could be made of shingles of some sort. One would simply need to replace those shingles that were damaged with, say, an armor shard.

Of course the doomguy's armor doesnt look like it's made that way.

Hmm, maybe the armor shard is a ready-to-use package containing a small amount of armor metal and nanomachines that restructure the armor metal to patch up holes and such?

Then again, there's no duct tape on Mars.

HWGuy said:

Hmm, maybe the armor shard is a ready-to-use package containing a small amount of armor metal and nanomachines that restructure the armor metal to patch up holes and such?

Then again, there's no duct tape on Mars.

Hmmm... Nice theory...

No matter what the shards are by now my armour would be looking pretty shitty after all that spraying/laser-stapling/nano-gluing/replacing-armour-in-nonexistent-pocketses. My preciousssssssssss . . .

I think that on the mars base, scientists got so bored, they decided to stick AI chips inside random chunks of metal for the hell of it. But they found out later that their AI created mentally unstable/suicidal chunks of metal. So the've been developing a nasty habit of jumping head first into machinery, which helps explain why there were so many accidents in the mars base and equipment failures. So what really happens is you just take the armor shards with you, and they just yell out "I cant take it anymore!" before they leap head first in front of whatever fireballs, bullets, and such flying at you.

HWGuy said:

...Then again, there's no duct tape on Mars.

That's the most absurd statement I've ever read my boy. Don't you know that duct tape makes the world go 'round? How can they construct a base without duct tape. I've actually never met a marine who didn't have a roll of duct tape with him somewhere. You should see what a marine can do with a Kabar and roll of duct tape. :)

And in the following image, Doomguy demonstrates the correct application of Armor Shards:

Ha!!! Post-It TM style. Yesh!!!!

Good one, Namco. I think that HWguy's statement holds water with this game since the weapons didn't have lights attached to them. I guess it's just a gribe of ours that has gotten out of hand.

Duck type is what holds the world together... Any paintball player, motorcycle driver or construction worker could tell you this.

And for the armor shards, those are small packs of ammo that fit inside kevlar pockets, that way you get a lighter protection that can be replaced.

I believe they are using some new type of shards for the vehicles in Irak, something that goes inside a pocket in the doors and hoods of the trucks.

I'm wondering why the armour shards all have little red lights on them, after attaching enough you'd look like a mobile blackpool (through a red filter)

But if you have no armor and you pick up just a shard then where would it go? Up your arse? It's the last place you'd get hit by a demon, until your dead and they have their way with your corpse.

Ok, how bout this? How in the hell does Doomguy walk around in an area without atmosphere? They say the suit has a small air supply, but I don't see a freaking space helmet or hoses or anything.

Namco said:

Ok, how bout this? How in the hell does Doomguy walk around in an area without atmosphere? They say the suit has a small air supply, but I don't see a freaking space helmet or hoses or anything.

How do monsters from Hell invade a station on Mars? It's a freaking video game!