Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
imdoomed

Try my level?

I have a set of 11 levels I made years ago with Waded and now that I found Doom Builder I decided to go back and fix textures and generally improve them. My only problem is testing them, my friends that play Doom, my wife, and I have played them so many times we all know them inside and out. Of course they say they like the levels, but would they really tell me if they didn't like them? I'm in the middle of overhauling all the levels and would like to know if my maps are something that anyone else would like to play. If anyone would like to try the first map please email me or post a reply.

Thanks

I started making it about 5 years ago and took about 2 weeks then stopped because of the frustration of waded crashes. Then about 2 weeks ago I updated it for zdoom use (widening the lava pit so you can't jump it, aligning textures etc...)

Okay, well it does have a nice clasic feel, which I like in most levels. Also gameplay is right on most of the way, battles are fun and not overwhelming and the ammo balance is very well done, I was never full of any ammo type. There may be a little too much health on skill3, but this is the first level so I guess that's forgivable.

Layout is good, not confusing, could use a little more detail on the outer walls to give a more natural look to the use of rock textures, and the texture alignment still needs work.
You said you updated it but I still see many bad alignments. Some textures are ugly in their context too, like the STARTAN2 covered building. The BROWN96 building might look better with a brick texture, and some detail like pillars or and overhang or something to break up the straight lines.

Overall, despite a little more cosmetic work this is a cool level.

I sent you a copy also ravage. Send some comments my way when your done.

And thanks for the feedback Use3D. I'm not a great color coordinator and your comments should help me pick better textures. As far a misalignments go, I keep looking it over and can't find them. Any in perticular that bugged you?

Thanks again.

Mostly x-offsets, like the STARTAN building. The x offsets on the stairs leading to the door are bad, the doorframes are off, and the window looking out doesn't have offsets at all from the inside. Another texture thing I noticed, using a lighted ceiling tile over an entire room is kinda yucky too, like the 'library/computer' area in the main building.

I'll gladly take a look at it as well, if you'd like. Just send it to the email address in my profile.

I sent Xaser and Darkhaven copies. Potgiessers I can't find your email in your profile.
Thanks again Use3D. Didn't notice the door/stairs thing before. And that ceiling will probably get changed.

Any comments from anyone else I sent the level to?
Use3D I did go back and fix some of those things you mentioned earlier. I've been working on map 3 and didn't want to get out of the groove until I was happy with that level. :-)

Cool, I'd like to see more when they're done, if I can spare the time :P

Hey Use3D since you were the only one who gave me feedback before, I sent you a copy of maps 1-5. Let me know what you think if you get a chance. Also anyone else who really wants to evaluate the maps and reply with constructive criticizm, leave your email and I'll send it to you too.

Thanks.

Sorry, but apparently I never got the attachments. I recieved the eMail, however. Can you please try sending it all again?

I just sent you a copy Darkhaven.
Oh yea, I'm still trying to decide if map 5 is too hard and logically layed out.

I sent you a copy liberation. Let me know what you think.

Oh yea and thanks to everyone whos been emailing me with comments.

imdoomed said:

Hey Use3D since you were the only one who gave me feedback before, I sent you a copy of maps 1-5. Let me know what you think if you get a chance. Also anyone else who really wants to evaluate the maps and reply with constructive criticizm, leave your email and I'll send it to you too.

Thanks.

I got them but haven't played yet, give me some time and thanks for sharing.