Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

I´m through - my 2 cents about Doom 3

Well it´s just some minutes ago that I beat Mr. Cyberdemon. Oh my god, this was an awesome final level. The actual fight was rather easy and of course it was almost perfectly clear what had to be done but I LOVED the tension that was built up before you actually get to see the demon. It was already roaring and it gave me the creeps like I hadn´t felt since the first zombie attacked me some days ago.

But I didn´t want to talk about the ending but rather about the whole game experience. I loved that id built all of the original weapons arsenal and most of the monsters back in. I personally would have glued some horns on the demon´s and Hell Knight´s head but they too turned out awesome, nevertheless. When Doom3 was announced, I wasn´t sure if they´d put much of the original content in. But we have the Chainsaw, Plasma Rifle, Berserk Pack, BFG, Mancubus and so on...
I missed the Spider Mastermind/Arachnotron a bit - the Spider could have taken the place of the guardian - but at least Mr. Cybie is in.

The only big critcism: The monster sounds, while being cool on their own, mostly do not resemble their original counterparts too much. I missed the uhuhuuhu of the arch vile, the hissing of the Cacos and some more. id could have given the game a good deal of more originality, simply by creating sounds that are closer to the originals.

But that´s a minor detail. All in all: Doom3 is a great sequel with both, lots of original flair and a whole bunch of new great ideas. And it was so surprisingly long! It took me 6 nights to complete, only needed 4 days for Quake2. Thank you John - that was awesome! :D

Deathmatcher said:Thank you John - that was awesome! :D [/B]

You uh, do know that at least an equal portion (if not more) of the actual game was down to other id team members, don't you?

Deathmatcher said:
All in all: Doom3 is a great sequel with both,

Why do (some) people call this remake that? It isn't even a sequel in the Quake sense, where the engine base was the same... being aware of this, the id guys even went so far as to try to make the 3 inconspicuous, different and modern (small, placed where an exponential value goes, and using the arabic numeral as opposed to the roman one.)

To be honest: I regard Doom3 to be a true sequel to Doom/Doom2. I don´t care that Doom3 pretends that the first games never happened. I pretend that it plays in the same universe and in some odd spiritual supernatural way, the marine is the same guy that was once on the phobos/deimos bases and also on earth. Maybe he was this great ancient hero in his former life. Look at the stone tablett... :)

Doom was great, but there was some room for improvement and compromises made. For example, the original imp sounds were just public domain samples of camel grunts. I've heard them in movies, tv shows and commercials for years. Even some of the door noises too. I'm sure that if id had the resources back then they would have recorded every sample themselves, but they didn't. I'm sure they didn't reuse sounds from the original Doom because they wren't 100% with them in the first place.