Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revenant100

Did Doom Guy have a helmet?

I was just going through certain parts of Doom 3 again and this question ran across my mind. Where does Doom Guy get a helmet in the game? He ran across plenty of them in the original, but now he actually needs them to be on Mars's surface. I assumed he got one when the guard told him to suit up and get a weapon, but he clearly does not have a helmet after he's run across Mars once during the cut scene where he finds the missing scientist, or during the cut scene when he met the first Imp, or when he met the first Pinky, or when he met the first Maggot, or when he met the first Lost Soul, or the first Revenant, or the first Mancubus, or the first Hell Knights, or Vagary, or the Cyberdemon. Uh, anyway I thought he'd have a helmet since in the E3 leak we see him put on his helmet right before the cut scene ends and returns to first person view.

I'm sort of reminded how the HEV suit in Half Life did not have a helmet like the HEV model did in multiplayer, but Gordon didn't need a helmet for oxygen to breath at any time.

Revenant100 said:

I was just going through certain parts of Doom 3 again and this question ran across my mind. Where does Doom Guy get a helmet in the game? He ran across plenty of them in the original, but now he actually needs them to be on Mars's surface. I assumed he got one when the guard told him to suit up and get a weapon, but he clearly does not have a helmet after he's run across Mars once during the cut scene where he finds the missing scientist, or during the cut scene when he met the first Imp, or when he met the first Pinky, or when he met the first Maggot, or when he met the first Lost Soul, or the first Revenant, or the first Mancubus, or the first Hell Knights, or Vagary, or the Cyberdemon. Uh, anyway I thought he'd have a helmet since in the E3 leak we see him put on his helmet right before the cut scene ends and returns to first person view.

I'm sort of reminded how the HEV suit in Half Life did not have a helmet like the HEV model did in multiplayer, but Gordon didn't need a helmet for oxygen to breath at any time.

Maybe its just got a small expaning part that covers the the mouth and then sides back down into the suit.

Kinda like the oxegen masks piliots wear in jets.

Tim Willits has already said it was purely a design decision. Doomguy looks cooler without the helmet, so they didn't include it. Think whatever makes you happy as far as him being able to walk around in the Martian atmosphere, but he isn't wearing headgear.

Edit: Don't ever trust MS Word, only gramma bot.

My guess is that he has a helmet and puts it on when he goes outside.

He keeps it in the same pocket as all his guns.

It could be a cool idea for a mod (yeah I know: make it instead of writing it could be a cool idea) but anyways: The Doomguy could be able to find a helmet in a mod and then be able to breathe on mars surface and get extra armor. Also, this could affect the cut scenes where the Doomgy suddenly wears a helmet as opposed to his head being visible in previous cutscenes bla bla...

Well, you know, all the multiplayer models have helmets.

Also, if anyone feels like complaining about realism, that idea about a mouthpiece to breath in wouldnt work. I mean, your head would explode from depressurization. I would just call it MAGIC.

knives_millions said:

Maybe its just got a small expaning part that covers the the mouth and then sides back down into the suit.

Kinda like the oxegen masks piliots wear in jets.

Na, I know this is really getting too into the realism thing but, if that was true, you'd die everytime you stepped outside because the cold of space would make your head freeze. I'm not kidding, it really would.

Combustable said:

Also, if anyone feels like complaining about realism, that idea about a mouthpiece to breath in wouldnt work. I mean, your head would explode from depressurization. I would just call it MAGIC.

Well I dunno - the martian surface may not be breathable but it isn't a vacuum either. I'm not sure what the pressures are on mars right now; but the game is set in the near future so they could have altered the atmosphere somewhat. After all they are moving towards terraforming the whole thing. So its likely that the pressures are not a problem.

maybe... just maybe... ITS A GOD DAMN GAME! he could have run around in a clown suit and I would not have cared.
You guys are starting to sound like those starwars uber geeks that i hate so damn much.
Its not worth wasting your time thinking about, just play

Yeah that bugged me. The game is otherwise "realistic" in terms of architecture and the marine's anatomy and even basic physics (airlocks etc) but they couldn't even be bothered to do something as simple as have a "helmet" powerup which you grab before heading outside. I mean come on, that's gotta be like thirty minutes of work.