Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

Doom3 editing lingo

Since I haven't edited anything more advanced than Q1, I'm out of the loop for modern editing terms. Brushes, polyobjects, etc are a mystery to me and I find the hardest challenge of getting started with editing is my ignorance regarding the terminology. Questions directed here or even in-editing could be averted or asked more easily if I knew some of the jargon. I'd be grateful if anyone would reply and define any and all terms for editing Doom3. Think of it as Doom3 editing 101.

When you drag out a red box, you're creating a brush. The faces of a brush can be textured.. so they're the floors, walls, etc..

You can also create a brush to hollow out sections of other brushes (subtract) or select other brushes.

Also, poly-objects aren't exactly modern.. They were used in hexen, and people currently use them in their ZDoom maps often.

http://zdoom.org/zdkb/zdoom1.html

Unless of course there is a similar term in more modern mapping, in which case, I have no clue.

I believe a tesselated simple patch is just a patch mesh that is being made up of triangles instead of quads.. you could probably make rougher surfaces quicker this way.

A bezier curve(named after the guy who discovered the technique) is simply a curve defined by a set of control points, (in this case, the vertices in radiant). You position these vertices to "smoothen" the curve..

Imagine the dynamics of making a curve without this method.. you would need to specify a ton of vertices to make it look curvy, and it would take a long time to actually get the curve to look like an arc, such as those found in vector programs.

Hope that helps.

That does help :)

So a patch mesh just kindof spreads vertices all over the face of a brush?

a patch mesh is a 2 dimensional object.. it's not a block like most brushes.. it can only be seen from one side... however, when extruded, it will look entirely 3d from that one particular side.