Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghoulie

How much memory?

Like a lot of folks, I'm having some trouble with Doom 3 playing really slow and choppy on my machine, and sometimes freezing up during cutscenes. I figure I'm gonna have to buy some more RAM, but how much?

I'd try the tweaks, but honestly I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to that stuff and I'm scared of totally f-in' up the game. I'm not totally computer-illiterate, but I was told once by a teacher of mine that I knew "just enough to be dangerous," which I'm inclined to agree with. So, it looks like hardware is the best thing for me to do here.

So . . . when I go to the store, what should I pick up?

make shure u chek ur computer manual, i went and bought the wrong kind, make sure u get the correct pins, and if it doesnt fit dont force it

i upgraded from 512mb to 1Gb and it made a massive diffirence. All those choppy bits were completely smoothed out. I'd definitely recommend 1Gb ram.

God Mode ON said:

make shure u chek ur computer manual, i went and bought the wrong kind, make sure u get the correct pins, and if it doesnt fit dont force it

If one is that incompetent, one should be DUDE, GETTING A DELL.

The right amount of memory to get is: As fast and as much as your board will support. Always. It's always worth it, too. It's a pre-emptive topping-out, and it'll let you go a little longer without chucking the board for a new one once it's outdated. At this point, you'll be needing to buy stuff like more RAM once software folks start to abuse the power of BTX/PCI Express/etc.