Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
GGG

I can't seem to upload a wad into the "newstuff"

I've looked at everything, and read all the threads on this, but to no avail.

This is as far as I got:

I got to ftp://archives.3dgamers.com/pub/idgames/
then I went to /incoming and all I saw was the folder "holding" and, inside that, an empty folder.
How do I upload my wad here? It's in zip format with a txt file.
I tried logging in as user:anonymous and my email as the password, but it said no anonymous users were allowed, contradictory to the faq.

I tried doing it through the DOS prompt, but after I typed in username:anonymous and it said "okay, need your password", it wouldn't let me type. I literally type but nothing shows up, and if I press ENTER, the login failed.

I really want to upload my wad, but I can't seem to figure out how.

Any help please?

I have read the faq through and through, and it doesn't answer my questions. There is no "Upload file" button anywhere. The faq doesn't tell me how to actually upload. It just says where. I know where. I want to know how! There's no tab under file/edit/tools/etc. that says "upload file", and I sure as hell don't have an "upload" button on my keyboard!

Who here has actually uploaded a wad to the doom archives? What did you do to upload it?

EDIT: I managed to log in. So now what do I do? Do I copy and paste the zip wad file and txt file from my harddrive and paste it in the /incoming folder next to the /holding folder?

Well, that's what I did. I copied it into that folder and it seems to work. Is this the proper way to do it? Anyone?

I think so, at least if IE has FTP uploading support. You might want to look into getting a real FTP client like FileZilla, BulletProof FTP, or CuteFTP. Also be sure to include a proper text file based on UPLTEMP.txt.

The Command prompt (DOS prompt) method works fine for me. When it asked for your username, did you type "username:anonymous" rather than just "anonymous"? That might explain the problem.

Anyway, what was your upload called? It's quite easy to check whether the upload succeeded.

Grazza said:

The Command prompt (DOS prompt) method works fine for me. When it asked for your username, did you type "username:anonymous" rather than just "anonymous"? That might explain the problem.

Anyway, what was your upload called? It's quite easy to check whether the upload succeeded.

Yeah, I typed username:anonymous exactly. It said something like "Okay, now we need you password" and I couldn't type a thing. Weird.

I think I got it to upload though the other way.

GGG said:

Weird.

There's no mystery really. You were effectively trying to log in as someone with the username "username:anonymous", so it wanted a specific password for that (non-existent) user.

Grazza said:

There's no mystery really. You were effectively trying to log in as someone with the username "username:anonymous", so it wanted a specific password for that (non-existent) user.

Well stomp on frogs and shove a crowbar up my nose!