Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S1lent

What was Doom 3's biggest flaw?

About hell...

maybe im wrong but...

Maybe what we call Hell is not Hell. I mean, it's only a mere dimension. Hell is BELOW that huge hole where imps and other nasties come from when cyberdemon battle.

Also, in mars city a slimy thing appear in the base. But that thing doesnt appear in we called HELL.

Could be? Maybe... is Id working on a true Hell? :) I hope.

The slimy things were stuff growing out of hell and onto the base. It wasn't part of mars. But ya. I just found a lot of associations in the game, thats why I came to that conclusion. Besides, if they made it true and made it pitch black, people would most likely complain because it would be too dark, they couldn't see anything, and they wouldn't have a flashlight.

Although, it's kindof funny, what I don't get is. When you go to hell, they take away your flashlight...but when you go back and fight the cyberdemon, you keep all your stuff including your flashlight....what's up with that?

S1lent said:

The slimy things were stuff growing out of hell and onto the base. It wasn't part of mars. But ya. I just found a lot of associations in the game, thats why I came to that conclusion. Besides, if they made it true and made it pitch black, people would most likely complain because it would be too dark, they couldn't see anything, and they wouldn't have a flashlight.

Although, it's kindof funny, what I don't get is. When you go to hell, they take away your flashlight...but when you go back and fight the cyberdemon, you keep all your stuff including your flashlight....what's up with that?

Well, a good guess is that the first time you teleport and the second time you take a magical lift.

Well ya, but you don't lose your stuff when you teleport to different parts of the lab by the same means.

S1lent said:

Well ya, but you don't lose your stuff when you teleport to different parts of the lab by the same means.

Now that's a point.

Well your not actually in Hell when you fight the cyberdemon, but you have a point about using the teleporter. But its just a game and it just makes hell that more of a challenge since your mass weapons collection is gone.

Plus i used the weapons alot more the second time round once i knew i'd just loose em, coz i never used the BFG the first time round coz i wanted to save it for a boss.

On the "fire not giving light" point: I believe that in Paradise Lost, Milton asserted that Hell was a pit of flame that gave no light, and was a place of ultimate darkness. I could be mistaken, though, since it's been a long time since I've read it.

I absolutely love Doom 3, but there are several qualms I have with it:

-Not enough time in Hell. The quest for the Soulcube should have at least been longer and more epic, instead of being a quick jaunt through Hell to get to the Guardian.

-Too many Imps, not enough of some of the other monsters (especially Mancubi, Hell Knights and Vagaries). I got particularly annoyed when Imps started spawning in every other step of the way, and they started becoming more of a hassle than a genuinely threatening enemy.

-I hate excessive gimmick bosses, and the Cyberdemon was disappointing; not visually or viscerally, but the fact that he could only be harmed with the Soulcube took a lot out of it.

-Betruger needed less cheesy, reverbed threatening and more visceral, physical villainy.

Other than that, I really enjoyed and appreciated most of the game's aspects.

Ubik said:

-Not enough time in Hell. The quest for the Soulcube should have at least been longer and more epic, instead of being a quick jaunt through Hell to get to the Guardian.

Moreso than this even, I think I would have actually been more satisfied if the game had the Cyberdemon fight appended on the first Hell level and had ended there. Going back to more labs after such an excellent change of environment was a complete anticlimax, for me.

I was not reffering to Biblical fires of hell, I have no idea about that, if it doesnt give off light ok then. I'm talking about regular joe blow fire but I guess it doesnt appply here, still I think it would have been better to light the place up. Also about losing all your weapons when going to hell, what the hell was up with that. Obviously everyone else who went there kept there stuff. I too saved my big guns for the big guys, went to hell loaded for bear, got there unable to squash a bug. Oh well at least I now know I can go rambo the next time through :)

Yes, according to biblical sciptures, hell would have no light.

BUT....if we're talking about regular fire, than yes, there would be lots of light :)

I just assumed that it was dark because they were going by biblical stuff since there were a lot of relations between some plot points and events. (No, not cyberdemon :D)

Naitguolf said:

About hell...

maybe im wrong but...

Maybe what we call Hell is not Hell. I mean, it's only a mere dimension. Hell is BELOW that huge hole where imps and other nasties come from when cyberdemon battle.

Also, in mars city a slimy thing appear in the base. But that thing doesnt appear in we called mars.

Could be? Maybe... is Id working on a true Hell? :) I hope.

I mean: But that thing doesnt appear in we called HELL.

I liked the game well enough but it seemed to lack a certain something..

Cyberdemon just too easy

Betruger just too (ahem..)old...

Linear gameplay

Too much imps!!!

Where are the zombies(normal and marine)after you go to hell?(dumb question)

Apart from above, I really enjoyed the game.

XXoXX said:

Too much imps!!!

There's no such thing as "too many imps"

It's hell, why would there be marine zombies. Didn you notice the walking souls\corpses? They were everywhere. They were the zombie-like creatures that were burned and scared from head to toe.

XXoXX said:

Sorry, i meant after you went to hell and return to Mars base. Didnt anybody notice that there no normal zombies after the hell level? They are actually the most fun thing to kill ;P.

Ooooo.. the demons ate the zombies. How sad. No wonder I only found skeletons (and dismembered body parts), not corpses or zombies, after the Hell level. Demons from hell do have big appetites in eating zombies. The zombie w/ chaingun/tentacle can still be found though.

S1lent said:

It's hell, why would there be marine zombies. Didn you notice the walking souls\corpses? They were everywhere. They were the zombie-like creatures that were burned and scared from head to toe.

THEY HAD NO WINKY N DINKY!!!

pritch said:

If the brief of the game was to re-capture the feeling of the original Doom then yes they have about 90% failed. That's not bad considering that most 'fps' games don't get even 1% close now.

uh

...other games arent called *DOOM 3*...