Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S1lent

What was Doom 3's biggest flaw?

You want fearsome? The doomguy's name was originally Flynn. Bow before Flynn, puny mortal!!

Oh yeah and the cyberdemon was originally going to be a plush tribble. Terribly fearsome.

Epistax said:

You want fearsome? The doomguy's name was originally Flynn. Bow before Flynn, puny mortal!!

No it wasn't. Ever since they went away from the Doom Bible outline the character has been nameless. The name Flynn was concocted by those Godawful Doom novels.

JoelMurdoch said:

No it wasn't. Ever since they went away from the Doom Bible outline the character has been nameless. The name Flynn was concocted by those Godawful Doom novels.

I've only read the first novel, but I really liked it. One of the few books I've every enjoyed reading.

1) No female zombies
2) No black zombies
3) Lack of variety of faces on fat/z-sec/pistol/maintence/chainsaw zombies

- Game is easy on Veteran (don not say go play Nightmare)

- Weapon sound sucks (pistol, shotgun, chaingun and plazma)

- Cyberdemon is invulnerable and too slow. (his rocket attack useless, kind easy to avoid it)

- Maggot, wraith and vagary are totally useless enimies ever.(they are very predictable, ultra easy to kill them)

- Imp rather do direct attack to doomguy on the ceiling and wall

- Where did speed attack of revenant go? In E3 2003 trailer there was scene where revenant run and smash doomguy very fast)

- Hellknight can't run? In Xbox trailer there was scene where hellknight rush to doomguy very fast, it was mindblowing)

Mr. Chris said:

1) No female zombies
2) No black zombies

What do you mean not enough variety? There's 5 types of zombies and each zombie type has different skins.

The females turned into Lost Souls. Think about it, you saw the first woman turn into a lost soul, then think about the high pitched screaching the Lost Souls make. It's possible. As for the black zombies, I guess they all died and stayed dead...demons are racist :P

Mr. Chris said:

1) No female zombies
2) No black zombies

I don't know about everyone else, but I tend to find myself a bit too busy running, ducking, strafing, and just generally blowing the fuck out of zombies to even BEGIN to give a shit what race/gender they are. Can you people FOR ONCE just let go of the "politically correct" bullshit and enjoy the game for what it is?

"Whaaa!!! There aren't any Swedish Imps running around! WHAAA!!!"
- politically-correct wannabe SOB

I know, I'm really sick of people always trying to say somethings racist because it doesn't have a black guy or an asian guy or a latino guy. PEOPLE AREN'T AS RACIST AND SEXIST AS YOU MAY THINK! QUIT BLAMING PEOPLE FOR CRAP!

really...why didn't they add the lesbian zombie chicks? that would had been cool to walk around a dark corner with your flashlight, shine it up in a room and see 2 female zombies eating each other....Well...it did have a male zombie eating another male zombie in one area...almost looked like he was getting a Lewinsky.

cloud4me said:

0- Game is easy on Veteran (don not say go play Nightmare)

1- Weapon sound sucks (pistol, shotgun, chaingun and plazma)

2- Cyberdemon is invulnerable and too slow. (his rocket attack useless, kind easy to avoid it)

3- Maggot, wraith and vagary are totally useless enimies ever.(they are very predictable, ultra easy to kill them)

4- Imp rather do direct attack to doomguy on the ceiling and wall

5- Where did speed attack of revenant go? In E3 2003 trailer there was scene where revenant run and smash doomguy very fast)

6- Hellknight can't run? In Xbox trailer there was scene where hellknight rush to doomguy very fast, it was mindblowing)

0- I cannot judge this. Only played Marine.

1- I totally disagree!

2- I think mod makers will change this pretty rapidly. In a smaller arena the cyberdemon will be much harder to kill - just like it´s classic counterpart.

3-The Vagary is great! I don´t understand your objections.

4/5/6-maybe, but I don´t care.

1.Way to linear
2.No fucking secrets
3.Shitty enemy sounds and AI
4.Some very shitty weapon sounds
5.Way to dark all the time
6.Imps way overused and alot of other demons seem to cheesy.
7.Friendlies are not very interactive at all.
8.Shotgun spreads way to much even for such a short barrel.
9.No double barrel shotgun (could of been fit in, after all they do have a fucking gas powered chainsaw for christ sake)
10.Enemies burn away instantly
11.Not enough gibbage when explosives are used
12.Environment isent very manipulative
13.Way to much scripting

Deathmatcher said:

3-The Vagary is great! I don´t understand your objections.

mis typo....I rather exclude vagary..yea she was cool monster :D

Mr. Chris said:

1) No female zombies
2) No black zombies

the implication is that females become lost souls ( hell is sexist )
the black guys got eaten ( hell is racsist not the devs )
woah dude for teh zombbies they have a lot of variety, and each variety seems to have subsets, ie headles half head no mouth etc... I think the zombies got more skins than the others for the fear factor, the demons were not really scary they may have had moments but they where more action oriented. The zombies on the other hand they relied on for the hooror aspect. just my observation.

The lack of variety in npc faces is what got me a little, but I understood why. so I havent knocke'd the game quality down because of it.

2.No fucking secrets

I'm not sure what game you are playing, I found lots of secrets.

My biggest complaint was that the Arche-ville was a pansy.

The original Arche-ville in Doom 2 was great. He was actually challenging. He was fast as hell, he could blast you from anywhere. You saw the flames at your feet and just thought "ah crap!" And he revived every dead body he came across.

The new arche-ville is too slow, he doesn't revive dead bodies (since they disappear) but he summons a couple of imps or something. His fire attack is too easy to dodge, and he can't hit you from anywhere. He has to be pretty close.

He's also too easy to kill.

The arche-ville was my favorite enemy in Doom 2, and he just wasn't that impressive to me.

I pretty much loved the rest of the game.

Rusk said:

I'm not sure what game you are playing, I found lots of secrets.

My biggest complaint was that the Arche-ville was a pansy.

The original Arche-ville in Doom 2 was great. He was actually challenging. He was fast as hell, he could blast you from anywhere. You saw the flames at your feet and just thought "ah crap!" And he revived every dead body he came across.

The new arche-ville is too slow, he doesn't revive dead bodies (since they disappear) but he summons a couple of imps or something. His fire attack is too easy to dodge, and he can't hit you from anywhere. He has to be pretty close.

He's also too easy to kill.

The arche-ville was my favorite enemy in Doom 2, and he just wasn't that impressive to me.

I pretty much loved the rest of the game.

Yea the Arch-vile was pretty much a big summoning creature imp with a different skin wasn't it. Sometimes he would summon a commando which sort of sucked

Only commenting based on whawt I have seen and heard from certain people and the official guide:

1. lack of a proper closure at the end of the game
2. left out Doom 2 in D3, which I think it'd be a bad idea to put it out as a mission pack because even it was made, it would probably have the same storyline as the original Doom 2, personally I prefer id to integrate them together so they could've made the storyline more flexible for adding new ideas, along the way it could extend the length of the game and make the "purpose" of Doom 2 worthwhile.
3. same complaint has been mentioned before as everyone has long ago - needed more new ideas on monster/character designing and it's very disappointing that they ditched Baron and Spider Mastermind
4. repetitive environments
5. lack of consistency in graphics; I notice that some parts of the levels shown in screens are rather underdetailed than the rest of the techy areas. Suprisingly, for character models out of all screenshots I've seen so far, only this can truly match how Carmack described pores and crevices can be seen in game back at the Macworld demo in 2000.

edit: That d3 screen beats the screen of Gordon of HL2, which I presume it's a work of photoshop, by miles.

FAR too easy on Marine, and possibly on Veteran (I haven't played all the way through that skill level yet. NM is just unfair, which is as it should be, but it's not what I would want for a casual gaming experience.) It didn't really seem that scary until near the end since for the most part I never felt I was in any danger as the enemy attacks were really wimpy (Revenant rockets only doing 10 dmg, WTF?) I mean, the enemies seem fearsome until you notice that they just don't hurt you very much. I'm sure the game would be much scarier if the enemies were as strong as they looked.

Kojak_Man said:

FAR too easy on Marine, and possibly on Veteran (I haven't played all the way through that skill level yet. NM is just unfair, which is as it should be, but it's not what I would want for a casual gaming experience.) It didn't really seem that scary until near the end since for the most part I never felt I was in any danger as the enemy attacks were really wimpy (Revenant rockets only doing 10 dmg, WTF?) I mean, the enemies seem fearsome until you notice that they just don't hurt you very much. I'm sure the game would be much scarier if the enemies were as strong as they looked.

for me the only noticeable differance was the imps. All other differances where minor at best.

S1lent said:

What do you mean not enough variety? There's 5 types of zombies and each zombie type has different skins.

The females turned into Lost Souls. Think about it, you saw the first woman turn into a lost soul, then think about the high pitched screaching the Lost Souls make. It's possible. As for the black zombies, I guess they all died and stayed dead...demons are racist :P

That would explain the tenticle nazi helmet zombies.

999cop said:

1. lack of a proper closure at the end of the game

That kind of closure sucks, IMO. I hate when a story ends with all questions answered. What's there to think about then?

Deathmatcher said:
Hey, I would love to see that drawing. Can you give a link? I didn´t find it with google.

Evidently the shotgun.
If they had made it effective (read: capable of one-shot-killing an imp) at medium-to-short range instead of only at "right-in-your-face" range, it'd have been perfectly all right if not perfect.

The chaingunner is a close second - he had the potential to be great and far more entertaining to fight, instead they managed to make him far more annoying than the Doom 2 version ever was.

One thing is that they retained his ability to fire repeatedly at the player, but I could live with that. Making him so übertolerant to pain that not even the chaingun or plasma rifle can interrupt his attack, however, is unforgivable imo.

Shaviro said:

That kind of closure sucks, IMO. I hate when a story ends with all questions answered. What's there to think about then?

That depends what id really wants. With an unclear conclusion left in the end makes people wonder if id will ever make another Doom, which is most unlikely that id has stated that they are too busy working on another project anyways. However, what I'm realy disappointed about the ending is that it's rather underdetailed from what I've read.

Mr. Chris said:

1) No female zombies

Do you have any idea how distracted the Marsec guys and engineers would be with all sorts of women running around? Look how they were scrambling over each other just to get closer to Theresa.

myk said:

Awesome! That´s exactly what I`ve been having in mind for years now. I hope that someone will eventually make this creature but on today´s machines this creature (+ fitting arena) would run extremely slow!