Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DocLathropBrown

Need technical help with Batman Doom

Yeah, I downloaded Batman Doom, reading that with the .deh fix, it'd run on ZDoom. I have ZDoom v. 1.23, and to get Batman Doom to start, I have to manually load up the Batman wad. There's no .bat file to activate instead, and I think that might be where the problem stems from. Tons of things in the game are glitchy. Enemies will transform into other enemies, same with background objects, random things all over the place like hand icons on the ground, (The hand sprites that represent, well, the player's hands) and even Batman's hand sprites transforming.

What do I do to fix it? Yes, I already have the .deh fix, but it did nothing. Once again, I have to drag the batman wad onto the ZDoom icon to get it to start.

Sounds like you're not using the WAD and the DEH at the same time.

windows key r, c:\doom2\zdoom -file batman.wad batman.deh or whatever

You're only dragging n' dropping the wad? That may be the problem then...select both the .wad and the .deh and drag / drop 'em both in at the same time.

edit: damn, nevermind.

Linguica, what you said may do it. I'm not the biggest Doom freak though so I need you to walk me through and tell me how to input the key combo you described.

A .bat file will activate the .wad and the .deh though, right? It does for Ghostbusters Doom for me, so is there any way I can make a .bat file for Batman Doom myself? It came with vanilla.bat, unfortunately, it wouldn't ever do anything.

I have Windows XP Professional if that makes a difference. But Doom2 and GBDoom both work. And I don't have the actual Doom2. Just ZDoom and a Doom 2 wad file.

Go into notepad, type:

zdoom.exe -file batmandoom.wad -deh batmandoom.deh

(or whatever they are called), then save it to your doom file, but change the extension from .txt to .bat. Also you can click on the ghostbusters doom one and go to 'edit' and change the relevant file names in that (if scuba made his that way, sometimes people put lots of useless stuff in thier bat files like tons of @ signs and 'echo' this and '%1 %2' that, which dont seem to do anything)

Dude, it works now! I owe you. :)

One problem still remains: the menu screen. The heading for "Player setup" is still in the original Doom2 font, nstead of the Batman Doom font. Any way to fix that? :P

They never made a "Player Setup" icon for Batman Doom since it was made before Zdoom so it will still be Doom 2 font.

I figured that, so I was only kidding. :-P

But now I did find a real error. The game won't let me pick up Blue keys. the first time I picked one up, it gave me a weapon! As a result, I can't get through blue doors without cheating.

Any thoughts?

zdoom assigns pickup item effects in a way that is not backward compatible with old mods like Batman DOOM which rely HEAVILY upon the pickup effect being associated with the sprite.

I intend to support extended pickup effects with EDF in Eternity eventually, but I will not be removing the sprite-associated pickup system either, for some pretty obvious reasons.

PrBoom does actually have some DeHackEd issues (bugs)... so there could be problems given Batman DOOM's extensive modifications. I'm assuming Eternity (or even Doom Legacy) should do the job fine, though.

Hmmm. The weapon that the blue key gives me is the multi-batarangr firing glove, and when I find that item in the game, it gives me the blue key! Unfortunately, it's not always in the levels.

But that's not why I'm posing again. I wanna know if anyone else has encountered this when playing: in the levels with the Joker as the boss, can you guys successfully end the level? Because once I defeat him both times, he disappears and there's nothing to end the level. No switchs or anything. He doesn't even 'die'. The cathedral (level 25) and Arkham Asylum 2 (level 27) are the ones with the Joker. It's very odd. Hmmmm.......