Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DaBusrider

Cannot run Wolfendoom Artic Wolf episode

Hello everyone. I hope someone here can give me some assistance in a problem I'm having. If my post is in the wrong forum, my apologies, as this is my first post.

I am running WinXP Home & am having trouble getting Wolfendoom Artic Wolf episode to run on my system using Doom Legacy. I have tried running both the latest Windows & DOS versions of Legacy.

DOS just won't run period - all it does is return me to the desktop when running doom3.exe with a "-file" parameter loading the wad file. I've never used Legacy before - I'm assuming that's how it's done, right? I couldn't even get the original doom.wad or doom2.wad files to run either. I'm assuming this is due to WinXP not providing much DOS support, so I tried the Windows version.

However, when setting up the game (Artic Wolf) according to the documentation from the zip file I downloaded from the Wolendoom site, I get the following error:

"R_InitTextures: Missing patch in texture BIGDOOR1E"

I have no trouble running the original Doom wads. I tried loading it on Zdoom 2.0.63a, but that didn't work either. Any help will be appreciated. :)

*Edit* - On a hunch, I tried loading other wads (namely Alien Vendetta, Wolfendoom Original Missions, Hell Revealed 2)that I had using Windows Legacy, to try to pinpoint the problem, and I get the same error as above. Either the wads I used weren't designed for Legacy, or something in the configuration is wrong. *shrug*

I'm having the same problems running any Wolfendoom levels on Doom 95. It says that it can't run the patch (sprites and such). I am able to run other pwads, like The Darkening 2 and Eternal Doom. These wads have new textures, sprites, and music, so I don't know why the Wolfendoom ones won't work.

Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

@GGG:
Don't even bother running any WolfenDoom episodes with Doom95. It won't work because all of them require a Dehacked patch and Doom95 does not support it. Another problem is that they contain new sprites and for that a WAD has to be properly installed to work with Doom95. The best solution is to use a decent source port - e.g. PrBoom or ZDoom.

@DaBusrider:
I strongly recommend to use a different source port than Legacy for Arctic Wolf. I remember an issue with one level that uses a Doom feature that isn't supported by Legacy so you may get stuck on a later level and it has some other minor anomalies.

As for your problem, that looks a little strange.

I tested both

zdoom -file arctic.wad arctlev.wad arctgfx1.wad -deh arctic1.deh

and

legacy -file arctic.wad arctlev.wad arctgfx1.wad -deh arctic1.deh

with the latest version of both engines and it worked fine (except for all the typical annoying problems Legacy exhibits.)

"legacy -file arctic.wad arctlev.wad arctgfx1.wad -deh arctic1.deh"

Thanks so much for your assistance, Graf. Running Artic Wolf using the legacy program itself (that is, legacy.exe) with the appropriate command line runs the game, rather than using the launcher program (launcher.exe). That's where I was getting the error, by using the launcher program. A bug in the file perhaps? Oh well.

I tried Zdoom using the command line you mentioned, & zdoom prompts which which iwad to use, I select Doom 2, since this is what the game was built from, right? However, all that does is load the original Doom maps, even when inputting the "-warp Map 9" command, as the game's documentation states that's where Artic Wolf begins.

I am now at the level called "The Tunnel", and haven't had any problems at all - except when swimming in the water & the SCUBA powerup ended, I couldn't find the command to resurface. Does Legacy support a "swimming" or "flying" option, like Zdoom? Or perhaps there is another way to do this?

I don't mind using legacy, as it seems to work great so far, but Graf mentioned a bug later in the game when using that port & possibly getting stuck; does anyone here know about this? I didn't see the author of the game mention anything about it at his website. If so, can anyone here recommend another source port that will both run the game and run on WinXP just as good?

DaBusrider said:

I tried Zdoom using the command line you mentioned, & zdoom prompts which which iwad to use, I select Doom 2, since this is what the game was built from, right? However, all that does is load the original Doom maps, even when inputting the "-warp Map 9" command, as the game's documentation states that's where Artic Wolf begins.

Either use '-warp 9' or type 'map map09' at the console. Both will start the game where it should. Selecting the skill isn't necessary because this WAD doesn't have any differences between the settings.
"-warp Map 9" is not a valid command.

@Caco-Puff: If you read the thread carefully you will recognize that the LAUNCHER was the problem here!

Here are 4 Screen Shots to help you set up Doom Legacy to play Operation Arctic Wolf for Wolfendoom WAD:

1. http://www.n00bstories.com/image.fetch.php?id=1326724533

2. http://www.n00bstories.com/image.fetch.php?id=1157361282

3. http://www.n00bstories.com/image.fetch.php?id=1130226964

4. http://www.n00bstories.com/image.fetch.php?id=1380250035

I hope that helps. The Bug you mentiond earlyer about getting stuck is: when you reach the 12th level(MAP20) in Arctic Wolf you have to save your game, then quit and reload Legacy with the files arctgfx2.wad and arctic2.deh insted of arctgfx1.wad and arctic1.deh. Then you load your save game from level 12. you have to do this because arctgfx2.wad and arctic2.deh add extra sounds and sprites.

Its all in the Readme file that came with Operation Arctic Wolf.