Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alan

Help for a newb please

Hi, I'm new here.

Anyway, I was wondering how to run Doom wads. I just downloaded a bunch thinking they would be awesome.

I have Doom95. When I load it up, the startup/configuration screen pops up. I select "Doom 2" for the Doom 2 wads, then in the wads list I select the .wad I wish to play. Then I click, "Play Now."

The Doom startup messages will start scrolling by, and then I get an error message with a bunch of numbers and the whole program closes out.

I would love to know how to play these mods. I also have zdoom, and would like to know how to play mods in that, also.

One more favor to ask of you guys. I want to learn how to play a network game in Zdoom.

Note: I realize that everything comes with a ReadMe of some sort, but I have found that none of them tell me how to do these things I am requesting help for.

Please help, I will be greatly appreciative.

Goto Start->Run...

Then type:

zdoom -file thisistehwad.wad

Where, obviously, the name of the wadfile replaces "thisistehwad".

Also, I don't wanna scare you away or anything, but, as many (including myself) have said many times in the past to other forum members...

DON'T FUCKING USE DOOM95! IT IS TOTAL BULLSHIT!!!

Hrm. Doom95. Darkhaven is right, Doom95 is the crap of the crap. It's never updated and doesn't have most of the neat features other ports have. Well, chances are you downloaded a wad that needs a special port. If you don't know if it needs one or not just look in the .txt file that came with it. As for the ports themselves:

JDoom/JHeretic/JHexen/Doomsday: http://www.doomsdayhq.com/ ; Amazing looking OpenGL port of Doom to the windows. Has support for 3d models in the md2 model format and a few extra features no other port has, but unfortuneatly are rarely used. If you have an OpenGL compatible card and a pretty fast comp, you can run levels that run with doom2.exe and have them looking supre spiffy.

Zdoom: http://www.zdoom.org/ ; The creme de la creme of Doom ports. Has compatibilty with doom2.exe, boom.exe, (very limited at this moment)strife.exe, heretic, hexen, and zdoom levels. It's also open source, if you are that kind of guy. If you are wondering why you should use this over all others is the amazing stability and support for many different doom-engine games, as well as editing features that can make some amazing maps that feel almost modern. When you get zdoom, you should check out RTC 3057 Hub 1. Be careful, there is low ammo, just enough to not miss to many times.

PrBoom: http://prboom.sf.net/ ; This is a straight up port of TeamTNT's amazing Boom engine(well, that and a few MBF features), which was the first port to be widely used and recognized. Really, there's not much use for this since zdoom runs boom maps perfect, but the stable(2.2.4 or something like that) is really oldsk00lish, so if you're looking for something really similar to doom.exe but for windows, prboom is your man.

Legacy: http://legacy.newdoom.com/ ; Legacy is not neccessarily a bad port, but it crashes sometimes. The reason you want to check out legacy is not for support for old engines, but for legacy-specific maps that extend the doom engine to have room over room that is excecuted most excellently. This is worth a look.

Zdaemon: http://www.zdaemon.org/ ; I'm sure you've always wanted to blast people online in doom, but do to some older tcp/ip style multiplayer code, you never really could do that to well. To fix that is Zdaemon. Zdaemon is one of two internet specific ports optimised for the best online experiance. Since it's based off of the Zdoom 1.23 source, any wads that can run with that run with this. Supports up to 16 player deathmatch and capture the flag, and 4 player coop. Be sure to have a speedy connection, though, or lag awaits you on the dwango5 battlefield.

Skulltag: http://www.skulltag.com/ ; This one is a bit like Zdaemon due to the fact that it is also based off of Zdoom 1.23, has 16 player dm/ctf, and is mainly for online play, but it's a totally different experiance for the most part. Included within the engine are a bunch of new weapons and power-ups that can help you kill your opponents faster or with style. Once again, though, skulltag has lag if your connection sucks.

Out of the two internet ones, it doesn't really matter which you choose, because you can have both, which I wholeheartedly suggest. As for the single player ones, the same goes. Now for a few utilities to increase the awesomeness of your dooming experiance, check these two things out, both made by CodeImp. They are available at http://www.codeimp.com/

Doom Connector: Hate that ingame skulltag server browser? Want to see all of the internet games up at once? Grab this baby and you'll be ready to kick ass in doom. Even has a chat client, so you can talk to other doomers while you look for somewhere to play.

Doom Builder: Tired of those doom2 maps? Can't seem to find a good new map to play? Why not just MAKE one? With Doom Builder, you can do just that! Supports Regular Doom and Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen, Doomsday, Boom, Legacy, Zdoom, Zdaemon, and Skulltag map formats.

I believe that just about sums it up. Oh wait, need how to RUN some of the wads. The best way is to use the parameters. While in Windows, press windows key+r, then find the port you are using. To use wads on most all ports, just type -file and then the wadfile name. note that it's best to keep all of your wad files in the same folder as you ports so that if finds it. if it uses a DEH patch, use the -deh parameter as well.

lerner said:

Zdoom: ... Has compatibilty with doom2.exe, boom.exe

I'd just like to point out that if you have in mind that all behaviour in Zdoom can be made to match that in doom2.exe, then this is not true. If you want compatibility with doom2.exe, then Eternity and Prboom are your main options.

Also, the comments in the above post about stability are not absolute - the relative stability of the various ports varies from system to system. Try several and see what works best for you.

Hi, I'm new here to and had a question about the mods/tc's for Doom and the programs to run them on. I mainly want to play the Wolfendoom tc's because I am a big Wolfenstien 3D fan.

I can't figure out how to use the programs like Zdoom and PrBoom. I am runing windows xp, and I don't understand how to use the command lines in command prompt, so what I did was set the .wad files to open under Zdoom. By doing this thought I think it doesn't load all the files right, so in some of the Wolfendoom games bones lieing on the floor are unpass able and some of the levels have no exit switshes or teleporters.

Can any one help me?

You need to launch the .DEH files togehter with the WADs.
It's usually done with the -wad parameter or with the -deh parameter
Try both of those parameters and see if anything changes.
As far as i can remember, several of the WolfenDoom TCs require the use of more than one .DEH file. So before you play, you must read the readme.txts carefully to know what .DEHs you need to use and when you need to use them.
I hope this helps you out.

Right-click the executable's icon (I'd suggest Eternity in this particular case) and create a shortcut, then right-click the short cut and go to the Shortcut tab, there you will see the "command line" where it says Target. It just says the name of the file plus its location, such as:

C:\Doom\Eternity.exe

You put a space after that, and then the necessary commands. For example for Die, Führer, die you would have:

c:\doom\Eternity.exe -file die.wad -deh die.deh

You don't really need the extensions in that case, but some engines use them (Doom 95, etc.) When you're done you hit OK, and the use the shortcut to play.

For specific commands check the post I linked above, but also the text file for the engine you're using.

Wow, thanx myk that realy helped. Its just all the read me files and stuff were confuseing the crap out of me.

Now just to get every thing straight, for each wolfendoom(or any other doom tc) mod I want to play I just create a shortcut of the program I am useing(Eterity, ZDoom, PrBoom) and in the Target command line type: C:\Doom\(Eterity.exe, ZDoom.exe, PrBoom.exe) -file 'name of wad file'.wad -deh 'name of deh file'.deh.

one last question: how do I play the wads windowed and in 640x480 Resalotion?

Now, I really don't want to complain, but I think that the one computer skill everyone should learn is how to use dos params.

You don't have to make a shortcut each time, you can use a batch file or the run window/command prompt. Personnaly, I like the command prompt, because it's got the nice dos-ish interface.

RickTaylor13 said:
for each wolfendoom(or any other doom tc) mod I want to play I just create a shortcut of the program I am useing(Eterity, ZDoom, PrBoom) and in the Target command line type: C:\Doom\(Eterity.exe, ZDoom.exe, PrBoom.exe) -file 'name of wad file'.wad -deh 'name of deh file'.deh.

Yes, that would work. Or you could resort to the same shortcut modifying it again each time as necessary by right-clicking it.

one last question: how do I play the wads windowed and in 640x480 Resalotion?

You can set that using the ingame menus... options, then setup, and video options, where you can set the video mode.

lerner said:

Skulltag: http://www.skulltag.com/ ; This one is a bit like Zdaemon due to the fact that it is also based off of Zdoom 1.23, has 16 player dm/ctf, and is mainly for online play, but it's a totally different experiance for the most part. Included within the engine are a bunch of new weapons and power-ups that can help you kill your opponents faster or with style. Once again, though, skulltag has lag if your connection sucks.

Actually, Skulltag is based off of ZDoom 2.0.60 (meaning it has a uncapped framerate, as well as a bunch of other new features over 1.23), supports up to 32 players, and has multiple settings for your connection type to optimize it for whatever way you connect to the Internet. So, if you have 56k, you can configure Skulltag to be optimized for your connection, so you'll get a much better performance.