Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

is it worth it

i would like to know if winXP is worth the money. I am still useing win98 and it is fine for this computer. If XP is worth it i will put it on the new system i am saving up for, god it is gonna be a monster

I wouldn't know, I'm still on Win98. I also hear that any Windows ME or the like no longer has DOS for its basis, which is why my parents a little reluctant to get it (they haven't yet). Are these facts true? If so, then I'm sticking with Win98 until it becomes fully obsolete.

If you've got a computer which has enough resources to waste on an OS as anything else you'd use, go for it. You lose a lot of the system performance you'd get running Win95B, but on some of the higher-end systems today (like over 1 GHz or over 384MB RAM) you won't really notice a huge difference. And yes it's true there is no DOS support, so a lot of your Doom stuff probably won't run well either, if at all. I know quite a few people I gave Millennium betas to couldn't run them due to WinME or Win2K, as well as older games and I believe the NES emulators don't work either, so beware if you're into older games or DOS-based programs.

WinXP is the best replacement for Win98. So, yes. It is worth the money.

I don't know where you got that from; I never heard anything positive about WinXP.

I never heard anything positive about WinXP.

There's not much positive about Win98 either.

He does have a point. There's not much positive about any version of windows.

He does have a point. There's not much positive about any version of windows.

Windows95B is pretty good.

I guess XP is a bit more stable than 9X, but at the cost of requiring something like 4-12 times the system resources, depending on what options and settings you have enabled.

As a person that likes to use graphical apps, XP's "incredible-tasty-UI"'s nothing more than a waste of DRAM.

I believe the NES emulators don't work either

At least one works just fine - SNES9x. Almost ALL winapi programs will work! Especially true for just the stock apps most people use. Peculiar system utilities are the most likely ones not to work since they rely on "hooks" that vary between the OSs.

at the cost of requiring something like 4-12 times the system resources

More like 2 times the resources. However, WinXP can actually USE all the resources and is not limited by the antiquated 64k resource limits. PLUS it actually frees ALL pgm resources when a pgm crashes. That's a biggie, since those eat into the 64k limit in Win9X.

256mb 133 SDRAM is $29 - so memory is hardly an issue. Some slowdown in some areas, but well worth the tradeoff in stability.

snes9x is shit. It's slow as hell no matter what res or colour setting you use.

Runs like a greased pig (is that good<g>?) on a PIII 1000 w/XP:) Remarkably more fun than the original using a TV (no eye strain at all).

I believe you may be having trouble, nevertheless, "no matter what" should be qualified to whatever system you are using.

i may just go to good old LINUX when i build my next sytem. As for DOS i got my self a copy of DOS 6.22 for good, old, classic FAT16, outdated glory and doomish hell

Ok, right, but from what I've heard, XP is _worse_ than win98. Because XP is like a new version of Windows ME. So, "if win ME was not retarded enough for you, get WinXP!"

I have Win2k Advanced Server (or whatever). It is actually pretty stable. But it hates games.

In fact, each new Windows version seems to hate games more than the previous one; is that so in case of XP?

In fact, each new Windows version seems to hate games more than the previous one; is that so in case of XP?

It's hard to generalize, since a LOT depends on your (video) driver support. I can tell you that all the recent games work fine (made in the last few years for a windows environment).

As always, there's a LOT of misinformation going around. It may cause trouble for users who screw things up or have old hardware with old drivers. If you run newer hardware with supported drivers, everything is great.

So be sure to check for new drivers for whatever you have before you commit to XP. Or buy newer hardware.

I'm mostly talking about the old games. Like doom, for example. Or older stuff.

Blah; I'm not going to get XP anyway; I use Linux :)

I'm mostly talking about the old games. Like doom, for example. Or older stuff.

It runs DOOM.

There's a little mentioned compatibility mode that is pretty awesome. Actually that was also in win2k, but hidden so well that few knew it existed:)

Speaking of misinformation... XP is not a new version of WinME. WinME is the final version of the 9X core, thank Gawd, XP is built from Win2K.

So yeah, it has all the stability of 2K but with a lot of new and pretty features. If nothing else you can load a theme for it that'll make it look just like 98SE/2K so you won't be wasting memory with all those pretty images.