Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RamboBones

Running slow on Fx 5700

I've had doom 3 for a while, well as long as anyones had it, and I'm finding my frame rate very odd. When I look on benchmark scores such as http://techreport.com/etc/2004q3/doom3-midlow/index.x?pg=3 I see geforce 4's getting double the fps I'm getting on the same settings. For instance when running at medium quality 640x480 with all settings default I get 26 fps on the first timedemo runthrough, and then 32 on the second. On the first runthrough it would appear that doom 3 doesn't load all the data before starting so it loads it ad-hoc. I'm running a AMD 3000+ at 2 ghz, 1gb DDR 400 kingston ram. As far as I can tell my speed is severly video card limited, however I'll be benchmarking my cpu and memory to see if that might be causing a slow down. My video card as I mentioned is a FX 5700 is non ultra with 256 mb of ram.

I am of course running the latest nvidia drivers.

So two main questions. Is my gameplay going slow because of my cpu/mem or my video card? And how do I make doom 3 load everying it needs at the start of the level instead of part way throug?

I'm rather skeptical about those results as they are MUCH faster than any other I've seen. They also use a custom demo, have Vsync turned off, and probably have several other tweaks enabled for their results. The results they report do seem high compared to what I get with my system (25 fps/800x600 High Quality on timedemo demo1, 2.8Ghz P4 w/HT, 1GB PC3200, and a Geforce 5700 256MB) and compared to other benchmarks I've seen. (In reality, my frame rate using com_showFPS 1, is usually from 30-60 Fps and drops to about 18-20 Fps at a minimum during the most graphically intensive areas.)

I would check the HardOp article (do a news archive search) as the results there seem more realistic (with my system at least) and is the result of actual gameplay and not a demo.

EDIT: After reading even more, I really would not trust anything from that site, they seem to consider 22Fps unplayable (it is very playable, it just won't look as smooth, 15 Fps is where I would draw the line on playability.) They also seem to think a card is only capable of a certain setting if it stays in the 40 Fps range.

A geforce 5700 plain isn't really that good. I'd day you get a 5700U or higher.

I have a 2400+ and a 5700 atm and it doesn't run too bad.