Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

Do you think Carmack will retire soon?

Nah, he's gonna work at id software until he dies...

Come on, what do you think, seriously.

If you mean anytime soon though, I doubt it.

Yeah, Carmack said there´s one more engine in him. But does this mean AT LEAST one more engine or AT MOST one more engine?
Also, I´d like to know whether this engine is already the updated doom 3 engine for the very next game or if he was refering to a brand new engine for the game AFTER the next game.

Maybe Carmack`ll leave id Software in a couple of years. I mean, he has millions of dollars and he recently became father, so he may want to spend more time with his familiy soon. I wonder if there could ever be a worthy successor for Carmack. There are a buch of good graphics programers out there, but Carmack´s engines have a unique look and feel to them and I think he has a strong influence in the gameplay of id´s games. I hope he will continue to program for id for many years to come. Maybe he could do it from a
"home office", playing with his son with one hand, and coding with the other.

He said at least.

In a recent interview with Todd Hollenshead he said that was a misquote and that "at least 1 engine" isnt counting the next game.
He also said that Johns approach to the game business is no different than 10 years ago :)

Remember that Carmack and Co. were starting an RPG (seriously) called Quest several years ago, then spontaneously switched to DooM³, so he may still be around for that game if it doesn't get cancelled.
As for Quake 4 he looks like he'll help with that one since it's a single player game instead of QIII.
It should be noted that I'm getting this info from "Masters of Doom" by David Kushner.

There was some talk recently, that some companies had been kind of "hired" by id to create the games, that were cancelled by them: Trinity (they made Q3A instead) and Quest (Doom3 came instead).
Well, it looks like both might have been cancelled - again!