Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BuzWeaver

Gaming Downturn?

Aug. 19, 2004 — Has the computer game industry peaked?

That may seem like an absurd statement. After all, computer games are now a $7 billion industry. New game platforms seem to be appearing almost every month, the magazine racks are filled with gamer magazines, on-line games like CounterStrike are gouging into the Nielsen ratings for young men, and the pinnacle of computer games, Half-Life 2, is just weeks from its (supposed) introduction.

In other words, computer gaming has never been richer, better, or more popular. How dare I say it's all downhill from here?

Because I've been there before. And having been there, I can see certain danger signals that are lost in the general acclaim.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/Business/SiliconInsider/SiliconInsider-1.html

Just ten minutes ago I had the same thought. You can only get so much out of a two-dimensional display and a few speakers before the novelty wears off.

VR helmets are still gay though.

BuzWeaver said:

and the pinnacle of computer games, Half-Life 2, is just weeks from its (supposed) introduction.

Huh ? I don't think HL2 is the pinnacle of computer games, at least not to me. There's always something better that will come out, maybe not in the near future but someday.

Lord FlatHead said:

Just ten minutes ago I had the same thought. You can only get so much out of a two-dimensional display and a few speakers before the novelty wears off.

VR helmets are still gay though.

Two words buddy: NES

I AM A CLOSED-MINDED DOOM ZEALOT WHO THINKS THAT THE ZENITH OF GAMING WAS REACHED FOR ALL TIME ON 10-12-1993!!!1

GTA III & Deus Ex are both excellent post 1998 games in that they actually took the industry forward... there have been several ‘good’ games, though not may original ones.

Mr. NobodX said:

One day, the independant, open source gaming will rule the world.

not with longhorn

Quast said:

not with longhorn

Of course not with Longhorn! That's why God said "Let's there be Linux!" ;p

Mr. NobodX said:

One day, the independant, open source gaming will rule the world.

I hope not.