Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tgz101

Doom 3 Graphics Corruption w/ 9600 - Please help!

Okay, I'm becoming desperately close to buying a new video card after 3 weeks of messing around, trying to make Doom 3 work. No one else seems to have this problem so I've been shooting in the dark trying to solve my problem.

Everytime I play the game I get massive graphic corruption whenever I enter certain rooms. Not just artifacts or snow but complete texture corruption. It's been frustrating. Here are my specs:

Barton AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (Stock)
ASUS nforce2 A7N8X-X MB
Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9600 Pro w/ 256MB DDR (Stock)
2x512 PC3200 Memory
MAG Innovision 770FS Monitor

Here are most of the things I've tried:

1) Tried 4.8 Cats, 4.9 Beta Cats, and Omega v2.5.58
2) Tried Directx 9.0b AND Directx 9.0c
3) Reseated the video card in the AGP slot
4) Reseated the memory and ran MemTest and MemoryDiag
5) Underclocked the video card to 300MHz core and 175MHz memory
6) Replaced 300W powersupply with 420W power supply
7) Installed side panel fan for possible heat problems
8) Tweaked everything in the config file that I could using tweakguides.com as my reference source
9) Changed voltages for AGP Slot, tried 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7
10) Turned off Fast Write and Write Combining
11) Turned hardware acceleration down 2 notches
12) Turned down AGP Speed from 8x to 4x (Also disabled 8X support in BIOS)
13) Underclocked Athlon XP 3000+ from 2.2GHz to 1.7GHz
14) Set AGP Aperture Size to 64MB
15) Set all OpenGL texture preferences to High Performance
16) Set PC away from any outside electrical interference
17) Checked heatsinks on video card after a few minutes of playing and noticed it was not hot to the touch even after corruption started
18) Re-installed Doom 3
19) Reformated hard drive and clean installed all drivers

Go here for screenshot:
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/40a93261_9177/bc/My+Documents/niceCORRUPTION.jpg?bfHgPJBB4mhiq8SR
Sorry bout the long post.

damn, you've already tried everything I was going to suggest.

Perhaps you just got a dud card. Sucks man.

Man, I thought i was the only one with that problem,

My specs are

Raedon 9600 pro saphire with 256ddr (stock)

and

Pentium 4 2.4ghz hp 800mhz frontside
2 512 sticks at 3200 (400mhz) dual channeled
40Gig hdd (segate)
120Gig SATA (westerndigital)
sound blaster audigy LS

I just cant figure out what to do, and tech support was no help.
The worst part is this problem only occured when i installed Doom 3 which was when i installed my raedon. Looks like it could be the raedons though considering i have pentium with the same problem..

its got me stummped... :-(

Even if you don't have a way to fix it, I'm just glad to know that someone else is having this problem. So hopefully it isn't a bad card altogether, but a bad compatability with the drivers.

The older the version of ATI drivers you use the worse the problem gets, so I think it's more of a software problem. Hopefully a future patch or set of drivers may clear things up.

doom III and ATI, dont seem to be a good mix. however i have no issues with the ATI 9600XT. note, mine is a product from ATI.
note: i dont think there is much of a difference when it comes to built by ATI or powered by ATI. however there is a gonna be different circutry. maybe try a driver from the card's site, unless it happens to be 100% pure ATI driver

Sephiroth said:

doom III and ATI, dont seem to be a good mix. however i have no issues with the ATI 9600XT. note, mine is a product from ATI.
note: i dont think there is much of a difference when it comes to built by ATI or powered by ATI. however there is a gonna be different circutry. maybe try a driver from the card's site, unless it happens to be 100% pure ATI driver

Went to sapphiretech.com to check it out and from what I can see the drivers on their website are just official ATI 4.5 Catalyst drivers. I suppose they might be different, I haven't tried them out yet. I guess it's worth a shot but I've just about given up hope after 3 weeks of hair pulling.

With the DNA 2.8.4.8 drivers I've been able to run it at Medium detail so far, but I haven't played very long at one time yet to see if the problem is going to come back. God I hope not. :-(

Isn't it kind of funny how many different ATI drivers are out there? Is it the same w/ Nvidia or does ATI just suck more than I've been led to believe. ^_^

Its ATI, plane and simple. I thought I’d give ATI a try and now I know I’ll just stick with Nvidia. Lucky for me with my 9600 Pro, I just get a few lock ups. I'd be pretty pissed off if I had graphic corruption.

hi,

What chipset does your motherboard use? I'm betting its the same as mine based on your model number. (VIA)
You need to install the AGP bridge fix. It's a patch for problem with video and AGP graphix cards. That will stop video corruption.

You can get it from your MotherBoard site.

-c