Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KLittle123

Do you think HL2 will have better graphics than Doom 3

I was wandering if anyone knew (even though Half-Life 2 isn't out yet) if Half-life was going to have better graphics than Doom 3 or that Doom 3 has better graphics.

Apples and oranges.

Doom3 has a more cinematic look with lots of saturated colors and shiny surfaces. HL2 seems to be attempting more of a realistic look with light, "dry" colors and overall appearance.

I've been playing CS : Source (which runs on the Half-Life 2 engine) and it's not spectacular, but the graphics are good. I don't think they are better than Doom 3's.

Cyberstorm2 said:

Yes, but how much does CS:Source take advantage of the new engine? Fom what I've seen, the maps are identical.

You're on crack. The maps have been upgraded completely. The layout is the same, but they have really beefed them up in terms of eye-candy.

No, HL2 won't have as good or better graphics than Doom 3. I played the Counter-Strike: Source beta and right now I get 150+ fps. The graphics are about the same as Call of Duty on the highest setting. I know I know, it was just a beta right? Well, still, even in the final product, my fps would drop a little. But from what I've seen, the only thing that will outdue Doom 3 are certain aspects of the physics...mainly the interaction with obejects. Yes, CS Source takes advantage of the engine. Besides, there's no way that Valve wouldn't do it for their #1 best selling mod of HL2. I admit there might be a few extra things in HL2 that won't be in CS:Source, but still....they pretty much take advantage of it. Finally, no, the maps aren't identical....the layout is, but the entire look and feel of the maps are completely different ingame. Basically the onlything identical about the map (de_dust) is the basic floor plan. The objects, architecture, and placing are all different. There are a few new ledges to De_Dust right now. They're hard to find sometimes though :/

BBG said:

You're on crack. The maps have been upgraded completely. The layout is the same, but they have really beefed them up in terms of eye-candy.

I just meant that in all the screenies I've seen, only the textures and models seem upgraded. Aside from that, everything I've seen looks the same.

Mind you, I haven't played the game, nor watched any movies, just seen some screenies.

If you had played CS:Source beta, you'd be "singing a different tune."

You can't always judge a game by the screenshots and videos. It's the gameplay that counts

Simply put, Doom 3 has the atmosphere and cinematic experience down pat. Half Life 2 will capture realism and also, possibly, a sense of cinematic nature too.

You know I hear alot of people saying how Doom 3's physics aren't that good and I really have to disagree. I think there perfect. When you kill something and they die they die just like a real body would (in my imagination). There body goes out and they quit moving and get kinda stiff and you can see there stiffness when they fall to the ground. The bullets don't make there body move a crazy distance just from one bullet (I hate shooting a corpse with my pistol or machinegun and watching the corpse get pushed to the other side of the room.). It's like there bodys actually have weight and friction when you shoot em with bullets. When a rocket hits it makes a huge difference with the impact compared to a bullet. They go flying. Boxes, containers etc all have perfect physics in my opinion since they never keep bouncing forever . I saw a fridge that kept vibrating on the Unreal 3 technology demo video or whatever it was. There's like a narrator talking about how the physics have friction and everything and right when the scene with physics is about to quit you can see the fridge freaking out on its own I started laughing. The only thing and I think this is the thing that make people say that Doom 3's physics suck is that they didn't put physics in every single freaking object (some computers and square things are stuck and can't be moved). They had a perfect physics engine but they didn't show it off like Half life 2 did (On the Half life 2 videos they show off there physics alot and I imagine there physics engine is real good too.). It is pretty pointless to make everything have physics but it's nice to have (overall I think it's the same thing as eye candy.). I doubt Doom 3's gameplay would change if every single object took advantage of the physics engine (the only difference would be the ohhhhhhh ahhhhhhhh wooooowww factor). I don't think they made a mistake at all with the physics engine (DSM made a post somewhere else about the physics not affecting the gameplay and I have to agree 100% with him. I don't think that's gonna make him wan't to have little ones with me though :( to bad...). I'm sure if other companies make games based on Doom 3's engine your gonna see the physics engine being put to better use. The graphics I doubt will be better than Doom 3. I've seen alot of pics that show abunch of what look like boxes with textures on em (like the buildings) which remind me alot of how the original Doom looked more realistc and nice back in the day. I see more shaders and textures being put to use than the polygon count. Even Doom 3 has a fairly low polygon count (I read about it somewhere and you can tell by the imp anyways) but the insane amount of bump mapping makes everything look amazing. Somethings might have alot of polygons like the levels having all the round pipes and curves etc. Overall I can't really say if Half life 2 will look better but I say there's a 90% chance it'll look worse.

Yeah, i just got kinda sick of the whole "Is HL2 gonna be better than doom 3?" egh, Doom 3 isnt the best game ever made. I love it, but its not the best just because it has the best graphics of any game ever made. It doesnt make it automatically the best. The thing that pissed me off about everyone drooling over doom 3 was basically everyone yelling "GRAPHICS GRAPHICS GRAPHICS" just like with HL2, everyones yelling "PHYSICS PHYSICS PHYSICS" i mean, with people saying that it's source code contains the Grand Unified Theory, which... You know, Eintstein couldn't figure it out, NO one could figure it out, but suddenly some game designers find the holy grail of all physics? Doubtful. In any case, no matter what, true, or not true, better, or worse than doom 3, I think HL2 is going to be at least a good game. I never played HL, so I'm probably going to go out and buy them both, and play them both to see what the big deal is, but I seriously doubt that HL2 is going to be a bigger deal than the second coming of jesus, as everyone makes it out to be.

Rule of thumb: Its... just... a... game...

In my honest opinion, It really doesn't look like HL2 will have better graphics. I mean, sure the new engine (I have CS: Source, as well) has all the effects and such, but they seem way overdone to suit my tastes. Sure, they aren't bad to see - not at all - but this whole HL2 physics issue seems to be going too far. It looks like they just devoted too much time to the physics of orgasming fridges in stead of keeping the texture quality up to the same level.

I liked D3's physics because they were subtle in nature - they flowed into the game, almost so naturally that you'd never notice them or shout out in the middle of the game, "HOLY SHIT!!!1 THE CHAIR FELL DOWN! LOL!!11` SO REALISTIC~"

But I think HL2 will be a decent game, don't get me wrong. Valve, though a little unorthodox in its ways, can make a good game.

Probably not, but it's not important. OMG DOOM3 iS Teh ettARe Gaem BECUZ It lookz bettar lolz

Seriously, what matters to me is how fun the game is. You may or may not notice, but I still play the original Doom, and, well.. it doesn't exactly have the best graphics compared to Doom 3), but amazingly I still find myself playing it.

If Half-Life 2 is as shit boring as the first one was, I'll probably end up selling it like I did the first one.

The two games cannot really be compared. Doom 3 lays weight on very dark and moody laboratory surroundings with nice colorful effects and stuff. HL2 shows us realistic fallout-ish city. I´ve seen videos that showed really awesome effects that were done with the Source engine. Anyone know the video with the rippled rooftop, it has a fantastic wet look on it and the monsters also look amazingly detailed. I think the monster models could very well be on par with Doom 3. 2004 is simply a great year for 3D action gamers. For me, I´m just too busy playing all the great games (Far Cry, Doom 3, HL2, STALKER) to have time to argue about them. I love Doom 3´s atmosphere the most but I can´t wait to play the others.

Intel17 said:

Well Doom 3's engine is more advanced...

Half-Life 2 has an instant mod community upon release (You can apparently convert your levels from HL1 by simply recompiling them in the new editor). Each game will have it's pros and cons. The only real way to get the best deal engine wise is to bite your lip and grab both.

Doom 3's lighting is more advanced than anything currently avialable, but as for quality of models and architecture, i think they are gonna be roughly the same, though doom 3 might look better because it has much smaller areas, and therefore more polys can be crammed into those areas, whereas HL2 will have big areas so things will have to be more simple. Also HL2 has totally stunning water (from what ive seen in movies), fluids are virtually non-existent in doom 3

Trasher][ said:
Half-Life 2 has an instant mod community upon release (You can apparently convert your levels from HL1 by simply recompiling them in the new editor). Each game will have it's pros and cons. The only real way to get the best deal engine wise is to bite your lip and grab both.

I might have to pick it up, might.

Sure, Doom 3 may win in the eye-candy contest, but as far as gameplay and story, Half-Life 2 will pwnz. I mean, come on, Marc Laidlaw is, once again, writing the story-line for HL2.

I've been a big Doom fan since '92, but I am sure Half-Life 2 will have better gameplay. Even on Veteran difficulty, Doom 3 seemed more like a tech demo than a game.

I think that both engines have their merits. While the Source engine doesn't include (at the moment, I'm just basing this off the CS:S BETA) many advanced graphical features that are almost standard nowadays (normal mapping for example), it is extremely scalable and some of the effects are nicer (I love the way wood actually splinters when it is shot.)

I do think that all of DOOM 3's advanced features, including fully dynamic lighting, make it the winner in the eye candy department, the DOOM 3 engine can't be "scaled back" quite as far as the Source engine can easily.

In the end, it doesn't really matter - gameplay is what really counts.

Mr. T said:

I think that both engines have their merits. While the Source engine doesn't include (at the moment, I'm just basing this off the CS:S BETA) many advanced graphical features that are almost standard nowadays (normal mapping for example), it is extremely scalable and some of the effects are nicer (I love the way wood actually splinters when it is shot.)

I do think that all of DOOM 3's advanced features, including fully dynamic lighting, make it the winner in the eye candy department, the DOOM 3 engine can't be "scaled back" quite as far as the Source engine can easily.

In the end, it doesn't really matter - gameplay is what really counts.

What story? And besides Doom 3 beats Half-Life in the gameplay departmnet for me. I got bored of HL after 30 minutes.

I didn't see much special about those screens, but, I generally try not to base my opinions of a graphics engine from screenshots alone. Because generally you're not looking at a slideshow when playing the game. (Unless you refuse to upgrade your hardware :P)

Probably gonna shock a few people here, but the people saying "DOOM3 HAD REALISTIC LIGHTING THEREFORE ITS INSTANTLY BETTER", are actually wrong. The lighting is only one of the tings that makes Doom3 loo so good. It's a large thing, but It's not the be-all and end-all of "good graphics". A game engine, without unified lighting can still look very realistic through use of many other effects. I know Source uses a lot of these, so we'll just have to see. I personally don't think CS:Source is a particularly good showcase for the Source engine, since a lot of the maps are bland, with a lot of sand coloured textures etc. and not much detail.

AgentSpork said:

What story? And besides Doom 3 beats Half-Life in the gameplay departmnet for me. I got bored of HL after 30 minutes.

Then, like you said, that's just you. I played through Doom 3 on all the difficulties and each time it was getting more boring. In Half-Life, I could play it several times a row, and still not get bored of it. Hell, I don't think I'll ever get bored of Half-Life, which why I can wait to see the original Half-Life redone in the Source engine.

Anyways, I still enjoy Half-Life's gameplay and story over Doom 3's. Therefor, I can infer that Half-Life 2 will do the same.

I like HL better than Doom 3. I expect HL2 to be a great game. But I think Doom 3 and HL2 will both have their merits and it is stupid to be comparing them. I have bought Doom 3, thoroughly enjoyed it and I expect to do the same with HL2.

Btw.. any of you doubting that HL2 will have good graphics should check this video out:
http://gamesdomain.yahoo.com/predownload?g=39001

Is that the 30-minute video from E3? If so, I already have it.

If not, I don't need it anyways, since the 30-minute video pretty much covers most of HL2's graphics, story, and gameplay.