Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SO19

Doom Builder and Win95

I'm currently running Win95 so can't get Doom Builder to run (d'oh). Have been using DCK which is great but a real pain in the butt to have to exit out to DOS to edit, and then back to Windows to test the map. Anyone got any feedback on Doom Builder - is it worth updating my OS?

There are more reasons you should update your Operating System than just Doom Builder, but that would be one good reason.. another good reason is because, well.. Windows 95 is crap.

What I'd do in your place is get another newer computer with Windows XP, and leave Windows 95 on the older one for DOS-based games and whatnot.

You can buy a new computer any day; replacing an old one is not that easy.

Sigh... does anyone ever read?

From the Doom Builder website;

System Requirements
• Windows 98 or newer. (2000 or XP recommended)

MasterOFDeath said:

sbsoftware.com]DeePsea is tons better than DB IMO, and it will run with Win95, provided you have one of I think the service packs or something(it says on the site).

Yeah, and it costs tons more (which greatly decreases its value to occasional mappers!)

Anyway, whoever is still using Win95 should seriously think about upgrading. A lot of new software won't work with it anymore.

CodeImp... no one on the thread seems to imply they don't know that. Looks like you didn't read before posting.

Indeed I hardly read it. I probably got a little aggrevated by the idiot in the other topic saying Doom Builder sucks because his shotgun doesnt appear in game and MasterOFDeath being so excited that Deepsea runs on Windows 95 and Doom Builder cant. These are things that make my hate towards noobs grow. Sorry for the misinterpretation, SO19; I think its worth to upgrade your system to Windows 2000 or XP because, like Graf Zahl mentioned, there isnt much software nowadays that runs on Windows 95. But if your hardware is as ancient as Windows 95, the upgrade may require new hardware as well.

Graf Zahl said:

Yeah, and it costs tons more (which greatly decreases its value to occasional mappers!)

Anyway, whoever is still using Win95 should seriously think about upgrading. A lot of new software won't work with it anymore.

$34 is tons more? meh: each to their own. sure for "occasional" mappers, why should they bother - you could argue that for anything, including good food, lol.

Sure SOME new software won't work with win95. Most software does run on win95, esp the stuff already on his machine. If it didn't he wouldn't be using win95 now would he.

FYI: upgrading to XP "cost tons more" compared to nothing too. Not everyone has the MONEY to upgrade! Although XP is mucho better, just depends on a user's needs same as any other program.

CodeImp said:

Indeed I hardly read it. I probably got a little aggrevated by the idiot in the other topic saying Doom Builder sucks because his shotgun doesnt appear in game

Seriously? Thats classic.

myk said:

You can buy a new computer any day; replacing an old one is not that easy.

well said.
well, actually, you can probably get an old one pretty easy, but getting a reliable old one would be some work.

sgtcrispyII said:

$34 is tons more? meh: each to their own. sure for "occasional" mappers, why should they bother - you could argue that for anything, including good food, lol.

$34 is nothing to quite a few people(especially where I live). Besides, DeePsea is tons better than DB. Doom Builder is annoying, slow, and drives me insane. The only problem I have with deepsea is the fact that it is shareware, but its just a minor annoyance for me. DB gives me tons of problems, and it would help if it didn't have so much Visual Basic*vomits* in it. You won't believe how bad VB screws up my computer. And don't get me started on that crappy Doom Connector. Last time I tried to install it, my computer got seriously screwed up, and I almost had to reformat my HD because of how badly DC screwed my comp up.

Heh you sound as if you were hired by someone to talk all this shit about this and that. All I have to say is; stfu noob.

Hey you morons, keep this DoomBuilder versus Deepsea shit flamefest off the forums. If you've got problems with one or the other, no one's asking you to flame.