Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
QuipFrok

DoomBuilder Problems

QuipFrok said:

Config needs lotsa work....did I mention that?

Specifically in what ways? If you leave it at 'it needs work' then the chances of what you want being done are slim. If you point out in what areas you have problems with, then maybe someone will do something about it. Also it's open source for a reason.

I myself see nothing wrong with how the configuration is. The IWAD file having a need to be in the same folder as ZDoom is not DB's fault, but ZDoom's.
The issue with your map 'compiling' (building the nodes) could be the nodebuilder doesn't support the map format you have chosen. ZDoom builds nodes internally, so even if you don't build the nodes, it has a good chance of still running in ZDoom.

I could be wrong about any of this though, as being wrong is all I seem to do in life.

chopkinsca said:

The IWAD file having a need to be in the same folder as ZDoom is not DB's fault, but ZDoom's.

I don't have the IWADs in the same folder as zdoom.exe :) You can open the zdoom-insertnamehere.ini in the ZDoom folder and add a path the the IWADs in the
IWADSearch.Directories section.

Bloodshedder said:

As long as the author knows what he's talking about and is helpful, why does it matter WHO wrote the manual?

The manual file isn't connected to the program. IOW, a file like that is not the same as a help file you can call up instantly from a program. It takes a lot more work to do a useful help system.

My comment isn't and never was about whether someone knows what they are talking about. It's about how polished a product is.

CodeImp said:

sgtcrispyII, read plz;..same ole stuff as before...

What QuipFrok said about being arrogant is the impression you gave me again.

Both WA and DS have very good help systems. Both more streamlined than johns file when it comes to using it as a help system directly from the programs. john's explaining all the buttons is sort of a waste of space and time don't you think? And I believe both authors did it all by themself! That's sort of an ego-centered argument though isn't it? 3D mode was a good idea, although I tend to like the DS risen3d look quite a bit better.

chopkinsca said:

Specifically in what ways? If you leave it at 'it needs work' then the chances of what you want being done are slim. If you point out in what areas you have problems with, then maybe someone will do something about it. Also it's open source for a reason.

I myself see nothing wrong with how the configuration is. The IWAD file having a need to be in the same folder as ZDoom is not DB's fault, but ZDoom's.
The issue with your map 'compiling' (building the nodes) could be the nodebuilder doesn't support the map format you have chosen. ZDoom builds nodes internally, so even if you don't build the nodes, it has a good chance of still running in ZDoom.

I could be wrong about any of this though, as being wrong is all I seem to do in life.

That's a good point. DB should find the games. DCK did so it can't be that hard. Lots of programs scan for other programs. It would be a good feature.

The node builder config is crazy. I can setup for say, Doom.exe, doom.wad and any of the node builders and the map won't compile.

If I use zdoom it works. Is it cause zdoom builds the nodes as you say? I dunno.

QuipFrok

QuipFrok said:

It maybe that. Ten years ago I was using DCK and DoomCad. They weren't near as buggy as DB....

In the case of DoomCAD: Wrong! Nothing has ever troubled me as much as DoomCAD! It is a wonder that I ever managed to release a map built with that editor! It had a crappy nodebuilder that took hours to compile a map and it would randomly crash for no reason leaving the last work lost forever! It did not have a fraction of the features DB has. Not that it was not possible to make a good map with it, it is just that DB makes it about 4 times faster and a helluva lot less painful!

sgtcrispyII said:

What QuipFrok said about being arrogant is the impression you gave me again.

Both WA and DS have very good help systems. Both more streamlined than johns file when it comes to using it as a help system directly from the programs. john's explaining all the buttons is sort of a waste of space and time don't you think? And I believe both authors did it all by themself! That's sort of an ego-centered argument though isn't it?

And don't forget: Both authors want MONEY for their editors. That makes a huge difference

3D mode was a good idea, although I tend to like the DS risen3d look quite a bit better.

Considering that DS just uses a fully featured game engine for its purpose that is not surprising, don't you think?

sgtcrispyII said:

My comment isn't and never was about whether someone knows what they are talking about.

Do YOU even know what you're talking about!

All that other crap those two said

OMFG! IT'S ATTACK OF THE FREAKIN DUMBASS NEWBS!!!!!11111ONEONEONEoneoneone

Dear n00bs-if Doom Builder is too hard for You and as You said-others (DCK, DoomCAD) are better-use them! Sheesh...

Quipfrok:

DB Should find games

Xcuse, but don't You know where You have Your games installed? Do You know a search function exists in most OS's?
What I do believe is that You are now finding and requesting the most stupidiest thing DB doesn't have to make You look right. If You don't like it, leave it and stop poisoning lives with stupid problems and requests (doesn't find games..., I guess Your next problem will be that it doesn't have graphics and lump manager!)

Graf Zahl said:

And don't forget: Both authors want MONEY for their editors. That makes a huge difference

So you admit both have a better integrated help system. Strange that you appear to mention money at every opportunity. Same answer as for upgrading to XP. It all has to do with the use somebody might have for a more polished product. Balls.

Considering that DS just uses a fully featured game engine for its purpose that is not surprising, don't you think?

Thanks for conceeding that point, that's all I meant. How DS achieves it is again a totally different topic.

Nmn said:

Dear n00bs-if Doom Builder is too hard for You and as You said-others (DCK, DoomCAD) are better-use them! Sheesh...

Xcuse, but don't You know where You have Your games installed? Do You know a search function exists in most OS's?
What I do believe is that You are now finding and requesting the most stupidiest thing DB doesn't have to make You look right. If You don't like it, leave it and stop poisoning lives with stupid problems and requests (doesn't find games..., I guess Your next problem will be that it doesn't have graphics and lump manager!)

Hey nmn,

you're not reading the posts or if you are you're ignoring what's in them. you're the fng.

QuipFrok

sgtcrispyII said:

Thanks for conceeding that point, that's all I meant. How DS achieves it is again a totally different topic.

So it's ok for DS to use an external engine, written by someone else for the 3d mode, but DB fails it because it has an external help file, written by someone else?

QuipFrok said:

Stuff

I read most of your posts and I believe I should have ignored them. Ever since You came to doomworld You started moaning about DoomBuilder with dumbest reasons.
It might not hurt to learn to spell too. Did You know it was not Codeimp who made the nodebuilders? If I can't configure them, or they don't work because I HAVE MULTIPLE BUGS LIKE UNCLOSED SECTORS in my map let's blaim the editor, right?
Cyber-Menace called You a n00b. I believe that was not an offense-it was a fact.

boris said:

So it's ok for DS to use an external engine, written by someone else for the 3d mode, but DB fails it because it has an external help file, written by someone else?

What? These are 2 completely different subjects bud.

Seems I need to explain everything here. Let's see. One subject is about making it easy for a user to find topics from the editor and the other is about 3D editing.

The first (help system) doesn't exist in DB and the 2nd exists in both using different methods. Sortoflike using external DLL's for sound and *******. How the 2nd is done is completely transparent to the user. Not having a help system is a PIA to the user.

Don't speak for all users everywhere, it seems to me the majority of people who use have no problems at all, it's just a few people that have a few problems and think that means there's a real flaw with the utility. Perhaps the flaw lies elsewhere? It's much easier to sit back and say "do this for me!", when maybe what you should be doing is helping yourself. :)

Rellik said:

Don't speak for all users everywhere, it seems to me the majority of people who use have no problems at all, it's just a few people that have a few problems and think that means there's a real flaw with the utility. Perhaps the flaw lies elsewhere? It's much easier to sit back and say "do this for me!", when maybe what you should be doing is helping yourself. :)

And the majority of folk are doing one thing that works for them with the editor. It may look full of features but they are implemented poorly. How many people are doing Doom? and just Doom? using one aspect that works? The majority I'd say. But that would need a poll

Nmn said:

I read most of your posts and I believe I should have ignored them.

The only thing your're right about FNG.

I'll close this before it really turns nasty.

QuipFrok: Drop the attitude and quit insulting people.