Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deathmatcher

Has anybody else watched Fatal1ty playing on NBC Giga tonight?

Fatal1ty was guest at NBC Giga Games @ Games Convention Leibzig tonight and they showed a match with Giga reporter Etienne on TV. I´ve never seen Fat playing before and I don´t know how skilled that Etienne is, but IMO the match was pretty lame. It went 5 or so minutes, and Fat only made 2 frags. He would run away quickly as soon as Etienne came up with anything bigger than a machine gun and never showed off a really good fight. He did a pretty poor job dodging Etienne´s rockets and one time he was below 30 % health.
Either Fat seriously decreased his skill in this match to make it appear more exciting or... I dunno. I´d consider myself to be a little above par but I think I had won that match :)

Edit: It was a Doom3 match (The Edge II), that´s why I post this here.

Competitive-level FPSes are never fun for the audience because the players are more concerned with staying alive than fighting. Like you said, they run away a lot, hide and wait for respawns, and only attack when they feel they are in a completely superior position. Sure it helps them win but it's also deathly boring to watch. "Competitive" gaming is only seldom entertaining and should generally be ignored.

he would have owned your ass by the way only a pure amateur would
beleive the guy is an unskilled player. While we are on the subject how would you guys describe your playing styles? Are you a jumper, camper, camp=jump hybrid or what? I would imagine most are jumpers

sniperfrommars1 said:

While we are on the subject how would you guys describe your playing styles? Are you a jumper, camper, camp=jump hybrid or what? I would imagine most are jumpers

What a world we live in where FPS players are broken down into two groups, "campers" and "jumpers"

If that is the case then I'm a camper, since my engine of choice doesn't even let me jump. Not up, at least.

Linguica said:

What a world we live in where FPS players are broken down into two groups, "campers" and "jumpers"

I classify things in FPS deathmatch into four groups.

1.) Things to shoot at.
2.) Things to run away from.
3.) Things to collect.
4.) Walls.

sniperfrommars1 said:

he would have owned your ass by the way only a pure amateur would
beleive the guy is an unskilled player.

Yeah, he probably would. I´d like to know if I could kill him one or two times, before he owned me, though.

Also, I always thought that pro gamers have a superior movement and aiming skills. Well, Fat´s playing style looked pretty much like mine (or that of other "normal" players").

sniperfrommars1 said:

he would have owned your ass

NO SHIT. I'm one of the less skilled players out there. I'm practically cannon fodder to the point where it's self-parody. Course he'd own me. Doesn't stop me from taking the piss out of him, though.

Linguica said:

Competitive-level FPSes are never fun for the audience because the players are more concerned with staying alive than fighting. Like you said, they run away a lot, hide and wait for respawns, and only attack when they feel they are in a completely superior position. Sure it helps them win but it's also deathly boring to watch. "Competitive" gaming is only seldom entertaining and should generally be ignored.

Lately I've seen people hide less and frag more, but yeah that seems to get real boring after a while.

Pure Speculation: Granted, the pros probably do a lot more effort to survive than to start a crossfire...but there is extra strategy that I'm sure the pros have turned into habit.
e.g. variety of weapons and their range---identifying recent entry by open doors---stealing powerups from other players-the mind boggles.

Recently fatality was playing people in UT2K4, and I tried to play him, but he wasn't there when I went. Now I don't know this for a fact, but when I talked to a friend who saw the matches it seemed like the map just kept going and new people would sit down on a new life. Therefore he would have all the weapons and armor in a small map, and when a new player would spawn he would be at an extreme disadvantage.

I've never bothered to watch a "pro" match, but I consider myself competent by most peoples standards, yet I've played DM games of 2k4 where I've been so savagely owned it's just not funny.

Yeah, maybe I actually suck; but I've come to realise that while I may not ever beat a "pro" in a 1v1 deathmatch, I'd probably have more fun losing to said "pro" than they would beating me... if only for my goo-gun mastery pissing them off... "OMGWTFBBQLiekSPAM!1111!" or whatever... ;)

Remember, a well placed grenade, or a blob of green slime, or a random rocket twitch, or maybe just sheer luck, can reduce a "pro" to gibs same as anyone else. Of course, I'm usually just reaching for another beer and laughing...

Watching competitive RTS on the other hand is really fun. Ever seen them play Starcraft? Holy monkey on a stick!

Didn't see it, unfortunately, I like watching progamers progress and especially fat's.

Unfortunately, from what I HAVE seen of him (qcon 04), he really sucked. I'm sitting here in irc, watching the gamecast, cursing at myself over and over and over that I didn't go to the event as he takes a cool $25,000 that, even in the few virgin weeks the game had been out, didn't even deserve. I couldn't believe his dm2 game, I would've had him in the negative frags (although I'm sure he knows of the strategy I would've used by now, the map is already getting played less and less due to the unbelievably lame weapon-deny strategy I came up with).

Now I'm sitting here pissed off at exploits/map issues in doom3 multiplayer, and pondering if I should cancel going to winter CPL (which I am signed up for).

bah. competitive gaming sucks.

Linguica said:

Agreed, I can care less about this uberelitemega Fatality person...

If and when I play FPS deathmatch I'm usually just a balls out go in guns blaze'n person myself, I never rank up high on frag counts though, but I can't get into standing around camping a spawn and waiting for someone to come up, and usually when I do BOOM I die that quick...and jumping around just looks crazy...I remember in Q2 CTF people where jumpers and graplers, it was crazy 1 reason why I quit Q2.

TwiNCannoN said:

(although I'm sure he knows of the strategy I would've used by now, the map is already getting played less and less due to the unbelievably lame weapon-deny strategy I came up with).

bah. competitive gaming sucks.

ROTL, heh i know what your talking about