Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KLittle123

After beating the game.

Well in the interviews, ID is doing a new project but you know they aren't stupid. I mean Doom is their baby. Doom revolutionalized FPS and gaming. They will make a new one, may be a while, but they will.

Gee, I'm sorry. It was just that you can't spell or even know half of the names of the characters/monsters from the Doom series. I just assumed you were a newb because of this, a simple correction would have done fine, no need to get all pissed off and throw a tantrum. Anyways, I'm not a newb either.

DSM said that they are working on an intellectual property now. Does that mean we'll see something like the Myst series?

No offense, but don't you think it would insult anybody when you are jealous of something they worked hard for and bought with their hard earned money? Comments like that, whether you assumed me a noob or not, aren't needed. On my spelling and such, I suck at spelling and when I type my hands go faster than my mind alot, so mistakes are abound. I usually edit a post a few times. Anyway back to the conversation.

What is DSM? (maybe a stupid question)

I was disappointed that you didn't get to kick Betruger's ass after he's been annoying you all game with like "Your soul moves closer to me!" and all that I'm gonna get ya shit while I'm trying to run from frickn' Imps, Trites, Mancubi, etc., all while hoping my laptop doesn't crash, which it seems to have quit doing since I upgraded my graphics drivers last night.

sandmanfvr said:

Well in the interviews, ID is doing a new project but you know they aren't stupid. I mean Doom is their baby. Doom revolutionalized FPS and gaming. They will make a new one, may be a while, but they will.

You're right, they aren't stupid - that's why they know when to stop. If they kept milking the franchise on and on, they'd end up slowly killing it.

Three major games (not counting unofficial add-ons such as Final Doom) is already quite a lot. Let's keep it at that although an expansion/one or more mission packs would do nicely. The beauty of Id's games is typically that their storylines leaves a lot for fans to expand on in mods and the like that's why there's no need for them to further expand on their universes themselves - they let the fans do it.
We'll probably get a continuation of the story in an add-on, but we'll most likely also get plenty of story material to expand on ourselves.
Oh and if you look at my nick, a certain of your above questions not quoted in this post is answered ;-)

I was disappointed that you didn't get to kick Betruger's ass after he's been annoying you all game with like "Your soul moves closer to me!" and all that I'm gonna get ya shit while I'm trying to run from frickn' Imps, Trites, Mancubi, etc., all while hoping my laptop doesn't crash, which it seems to have quit doing since I upgraded my graphics drivers last night.

Heh, I'm satisfied that he got eaten by the Maledict - serves him right :-D

All nit-picks aside, I liked Doom 3. The gameplay is great, it is definitely something I would play again (a few times). The only REAL complaints I have about it is this.

1. The ending wasn't very good. It was definitely a rushed job that they definitely could have worked on.

2. The CyberDemon was definitely a disapointing demon. It was much harder to kill in the original Dooms. Once again..something the work on.

3. It should and could have been a much longer game. I felt that it was definitely too short. Sure, 27(28,29?) levels might seem like a lot to some, but they go by pretty quickly. Remember, Doom II only had 32 levels I believe... But still, something like Doom 3 definitely should have been longer.

dsm said:

Heh well, the soul cube did say they were the only way to defeat "Hell's mightiest warrior".

I've been chucking bfg shots at it for nothing? O_o Should have just let the soul cube do its work then in the first two or three attempts.

Otherwise, yes i have beaten doom 3. Imo it could have gone on for just a little longer, deeper into hell, with a another final boss that is more of a climatic showdown than the cybie fight was.

S1lent said:
1. The ending wasn't very good. It was definitely a rushed job that they definitely could have worked on.

Then what do you consider a good ending?

I thought it was a nice, satisfying ending. You get a cool cyberdemon death, you see the marines arrive and talk about how the base is all fucked up and then it ends in a slightly vague way that leaves you wondering if Hell is really done for or if it'll come back (plus, you get to see Betruger's body and soul swallowed by the Maledict, bwahahaha!) - some might hate a vague ending that leaves a number of questions, but I think it's really cool.
Leaves a shitload of story for mod developers to tamper with and inspires the imagination.

3. It should and could have been a much longer game. I felt that it was definitely too short. Sure, 27(28,29?) levels might seem like a lot to some, but they go by pretty quickly. Remember, Doom II only had 32 levels I believe... But still, something like Doom 3 definitely should have been longer.

I spent five days beating it. True, I didn't play all day during this time, but it's still a pretty long time to spend on a game by the normal FPS standards.

When I first played Doom 1, I made it to level 5 (Phobos lab) in three hours. If I had been allowed to keep playing, I would have beaten E1 in, say, four-five hours - that's not even *one* day. I would probably have spent around three days beating the original game if I had the game running on my own computer (instead of just trying it out on my older brother's computer).

The conclusion is that Doom 3 is actually a far longer game than Doom 1, but people have become so damn skilled at playing FPSs these days that they are able to make it through a comparatively tough game in no time.
I'm tired of people thinking with their asses and expecting game designers to perform miracles instead of doing the smart thing and lowering their expectations to take reality into consideration so that they won't become too disappointed.

And why do people expect long games anyway? I prefer to be able to beat my games within a reasonable amount of time (within a week - tops). You know you CAN go back and play the game over again after you've beat it.

I can't take people serious when they complain about the game being too short - quit rushing through it.

dsm said:

Then what do you consider a good ending?

A good ending? One that has closure. YOu go from watching the cyberdemon die, then jump to seeing marines walking down a hall and finding you, then you jump again BACK to hell and see Betruger's head in a demon. << Definitely a very rushed ending. Too simple, not very creative.

I spent five days beating it. True, I didn't play all day during this time, but it's still a pretty long time to spend on a game by the normal FPS standards.

Lol, uh, no it's not the normal standards.

When I first played Doom 1, I made it to level 5 (Phobos lab) in three hours. If I had been allowed to keep playing, I would have beaten E1 in, say, four-five hours - that's not even *one* day. I would probably have spent around three days beating the original game if I had the game running on my own computer (instead of just trying it out on my older brother's computer).

The conclusion is that Doom 3 is actually a far longer game than Doom 1, but people have become so damn skilled at playing FPSs these days that they are able to make it through a comparatively tough game in no time.
I'm tired of people thinking with their asses and expecting game designers to perform miracles instead of doing the smart thing and lowering their expectations to take reality into consideration so that they won't become too disappointed.

I didn't say it was longer than Doom 1...I said it wasn't long enough...27, 28 levels?... Also, I don't think I have my expectations too high for a game that's been in the works for 4 years. They either should have made the game longer or made the levels longer. I beat the game (without rushing) in about 2 - 3 days.

Like I said, those were the only 3 things that I didn't care for...I never said that I was "dissapointed" with Doom 3 itself...you put WAY too many words in people's mouth and take things way out of proportion.

And why do people expect long games anyway? I prefer to be able to beat my games within a reasonable amount of time (within a week - tops). You know you CAN go back and play the game over again after you've beat it.

I can't take people serious when they complain about the game being too short - quit rushing through it.

What fun is a game if you keep beating it over and over again because it's either too short or too easy? It gets boring...How do you rush through a game that you've never played before anyways? You don't know where anything is... That was the problem with Halo, it was too short...it got boring. People started to only play it now for the multi-player...and let's face it, Doom 3's multiplayer future isn't going to beat a lot of games.

dsm said:

You know you CAN go back and play the game over again after you've beat it.

you act as if theres actually things to do and explore in the doom3 environment... its an extremely basic shooter, and would be the excact same experience if replayed,, just without any of the surprise factor. Sometimes I wonder if im playing the same game as some people, really...

It took me two weeks to beat doom3, and i think it was short. It would take me the same amount of time NOW to play through the original doom games even though i already know the levels by heart!

I could only play the game in short bursts because the actualy gameplay was the excact same thing over and over, and it was only scary if you could get yourself to forget that they used the EXACT same imp-jumping-out-at-you trick the last time you played.
When i pay 55$ for a game, it should be at least 30 QUALITY hours of gameplay.