Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DR DEATH

Whats the verdict on Multiplayer?

I only jumped online two or three times and found myself bored of the maps and the crappy netcode very fast.. At least it seemed like that. I've always known id to have great quality/FAST multiplayer.. So, I was quite surprised to see doom3 running awesome in single player but ran like crap (very low FPS) in multiplayer. At first I thought it was lag but I'm on BB and it's not my connection.. Kinda weird considering all the good stuff I was hearing about multiplayer previous to the release.. What are your opionions? I'm not really complaining since I bought this as a single player game and it was great but short. I flew through the game.. Probably because I was pretty captivated.

I mad e apost liek this already but basically i think it was lazily made... the 5 maps jsut arent good enough

Weapon balance woudl be really good if they hadnt put the rocket launcher in... i hate that certain weapons show up on ALL levels (like how the Rocket launcher was in EVERY level of quake3)

as it stands you might as well play quake1 with the camping and rocket launcher dominace, but i think it will get better with new maps

Naitguolf said:

meh, quake2 didnt had any map in point release....

yeah but you could play the 20+ SP maps, and they were edited as to make MP fun

Plays basically like a mix between QuakeWorld and Quake II. There are movement attributes from all three Quake games and the weapon balance is about on par with Quake II, I'd guess.

Spawnraping is back in big fashion...

I don't know, it's pretty good, in my opinion. I think most of the weapons could use a little fine tuning (which probably won't happen). If it doesn't, it's fine -- we've got another game to learn and master.

If you're a casual DOOM fan, you're likely not going to want to mess with 1v1 on this game. This is the hardest-core deathmatch since, well, Quake III, to be honest.

Endureth said:

It was fun for a little while but everything still moves 100mph. I'll pass.

-E

It's fast, but not QUITE classic doom fast, and the walking is fairly cloe to standard.

DR DEATH said:

I only jumped online two or three times and found myself bored of the maps and the crappy netcode very fast.. At least it seemed like that. I've always known id to have great quality/FAST multiplayer.. So, I was quite surprised to see doom3 running awesome in single player but ran like crap (very low FPS) in multiplayer. At first I thought it was lag but I'm on BB and it's not my connection.. Kinda weird considering all the good stuff I was hearing about multiplayer previous to the release.. What are your opionions? I'm not really complaining since I bought this as a single player game and it was great but short. I flew through the game.. Probably because I was pretty captivated.

no its your internet that makes it slow

KLittle123 said:

no its your internet that makes it slow

Dude, I seriously doubt it is my Internet. I frequently play XBox live and Unreal 2k4 with no lag at all. I'm on comcast with a 3000/256 connection. I only tried playing online like 2 X and was amazed at how crappy it was running compaired to the Single Player game. In SP I get an AVG of 40FPS and the gameplay is rock solid. I'll try it again sometime next week when I get the chance. Initially, it just seemed like some very bad net-code and gameplay. I know its not what I was expecting for the MP thou. id was always known to make good Multiplayer ali Quake 3 which is still a great online frag fest. Who cares thou, I bought Doom 3 for the SP experience and I must say I was happy and am going thru the game a 2nd time. :) Frag on!!

I dont think it's horrible, but it's not really that interesting either. Maybe it's just the stock MP maps.

I didn't like DM too much (although I never have). 1v1 wasn't bad, but the weapon balance sucked.... overall, I'd rather play Q3.

The netcode was quite horrible as well.

My verdict is that it was added in to stop people bitching that there was no MP. It's supposed to be an SP game... so obviously the MP will be sub-par. But meh. If I wanna play DM, I'll go play a game that was designed for it, you know?

Well, I'm happy to report that I ended up playing about 2hrs of multiplayer this week. I got on some good servers with about 4-5 people and it was actually running MUCH better this time to the point I was enjoying myself. Its still just an after-thought of the SP experience thou. Even when things are running good it just doesn't feel nearly as fast or smooth as Q3.. But thats expected. I'm just glad I got some more enjoyment out of the game in MP. I still loving the SP my 2nd time thru the game.. Still freaks me out pretty good but not near as much as the 1st time thru.

PS -- mp is improved now that the first patch is out (beta). I'll have to read over the list of changes again, because I don't remember reading any netcode improvements but the game seems to play somewhat less jerky now, for some reason.

Not to mentioned they've started adding some of those things that were for some WEIRD reason left out, like chat bubbles (to cut down on type-kills), player join messages, and a connection interrupted symbol. These help out too, and make the mp experience less esoteric.

In the future, I'm sure tons of stuff will be improved, added, etc.

And hopefully demo recording will be fixed. Heh.

I havent intalled the patch yet, but apparently the rocket launcher has some more splash damage against its firer, making it less overpoewered

As it stands the rocket launcher is like the railgun in quake 2 and 3... WAY too powerfule

I have a pretty fast cable connection (I forget exactly how fast... but fast enough to get 50-100ms pings usually) and multiplayer has been ok. My fps drops significantly when there are a lot of people around, but not to the point where it's unplayable.

My major qualms with multiplayer are not with the game itself, but rather other people playing the game... I don't know if it's just me, but most of my opponents have been way more newbish than any I've any encountered in any other game. So far I've been accused of being a bot countless times (the most memorable would be on August 3rd, the day the game came out... someone was already accusing me of cheating), have had my armor repeatedly depleted by people who don't know what "Team Deathmatch" means, have been randomly kicked for no reason (one time I asked a guy why he called a vote on me and he said "because your name has color in it") and have sat around on servers for 20+ minutes before getting frustrated and leaving because people don't know that kills don't count during the warmup and they have to actually press F3 to start playing.

And just to challenge myself, I try not to use the rocket launcher. I pick it up just to keep others from using it on me, but I usually stick to the good ol' shotgun or plasma gun when I want to work on my aim.

That is probably attributed to the hype the game has gotten, and that everybody knows it's the best looking thing released to date. Give it a while, and a good deal of those types will move on.

Im having the excact same problem DameinC is having, and im really not that good of a DM player. Anyhow, i think the cause of the problem is the way the game is presented. id put very little work into how DM looks, and thus people are gonna get confused about things like team deathmatch or warmup etc

but yeha the cheating thing just proves how genuine that complaint is in the first place... lol thre are not fonna be cheats on the 4th day the games been out!

Mogul said:

That is probably attributed to the hype the game has gotten, and that everybody knows it's the best looking thing released to date. Give it a while, and a good deal of those types will move on.

Counterstrike is still like that years later

Well, my whole view on MP has changed since I started this thread. I haven't patched the game (someone mentioned a patch?) but all the sudden it is running WAY better. The last two nights I was really starting to enjoy the MP and a couple of the Maps. It's turning out to add a lot of value to this already great game!! Can't wait for Quake 4 now.. Screw HL2 since they don't know what the hell they are doing over at Valve!!
Also, the servers I've been on were sub 100ms pings so I'm sure that helped.

DR DEATH said:

Well, my whole view on MP has changed since I started this thread. I haven't patched the game (someone mentioned a patch?) but all the sudden it is running WAY better. The last two nights I was really starting to enjoy the MP and a couple of the Maps. It's turning out to add a lot of value to this already great game!! Can't wait for Quake 4 now.. Screw HL2 since they don't know what the hell they are doing over at Valve!!
Also, the servers I've been on were sub 100ms pings so I'm sure that helped.

Damn! how much is id paying you?

*currently unemployed*

Wobbo said:

Damn! how much is id paying you?

*currently unemployed*

LOL.. 2 Funny.. Well, its part of a buyout on my Soul. See, I sold my Soul to the devil for that last doughnut (Homer Style) and it just so happens to be that id is a subsidiary of Satans great Evil Empire.. Go figure..

I enjoyed my brief multiplayer attempts at D3. Then again I wiped the floor, so...