Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CacoMarine

Rate Vile Flesh

32-level add-on with new music and new Dehacked patch. Available from the idgames database.

on the scale of 4-10, how'd ya rate?

I'd go for 8.

Nice piece of work all in all, but maybe a bit too detailed in places and maybe the soncentrartion on earlier maps have affected the author's ability to superbly complete the later maps. Somehow map30 just left me with nothing really being achieved. But great work nevertheless.

Wow! I just discover the idgames database has a rating system. Awesome isn't it?
Seriously, stop making dumb threads.
k-thx-by

I know the idgames database has a rating system, but since most of those are left with no comments and only with ratings with 10 or more people already voted, it's a bit hard to tell what is one individual's opinion. Besides, lately the idgames rating place has been ambushed by poor troublemakers whose inane comments will delight no seroius Doomer.

I admit, this topic was a bit out of boredom, but since I find this WAD quite good, and the fact that the reply system on idgames is rather limited to enable many views, I'd like to hear more closely how you felt when you guys played Vile Flesh...what was the best/worsts in it, the best/worst map, how did you take the ending, etc...

I consider it one of the top five megawads of all time. My review was here.

Map30 in megawads tend not to be very large or ambitious, presumably since the fact that monsters can telefrag the player places quite a restriction on things.

It's a shame that there are some maps with compatibility issues though - although no real Boom features are used, it needs a Boom-compatible port since certain things don't trigger correctly otherwise. Ideally, it should have needed purely a limit-extending port.

Nmn: there's nothing wrong with starting threads discussing individual wads in this forum.

I think it's okay, if not a bit tough at times. I haven't played all the way through it, so my opinion officialy Does Not Matter(tm).

On the other hand.. You've got a point there. Some good wads are actually 2-or 3 stars rated and idiots all over.
But You admit Yourself this thready was made out of boredom :), plus there is so many threads discussing favourite wads and stuff that another one doesn't seem useful. Not so much favourites-but "please rate" :>
I never played Vile Flesh, hence I cannot express myself. However, due to insane printing I will find time to download and I will drop by a comment to the box. Be sure to check out the newstuff too.. hehe

I gave Vile Flesh a thorough playing back when it was on my HD (before I formatted) and maybe it's just me, but I wasn't really all that impressed. I'm not sure why, it just didn't really appeal to me all that much. The map design was, to me, pretty dull and boring at points, and the gameplay wasn't much better.
Overall, I'd give it a 6.5/10. It's certainly not bad, and it must've taken G-Man quite a while to do some of VF's maps, but it was (to me) rather bland and I got quite tired of it after the 5th or 6th level. However, I continued playing it and found it was just more of the same. All in all, it's a very good effort, but the blah map design on some levels, along with some rather questionable texture/flat choices, just sort of turned me off. I guess you'd say that this megawad is not really my cup of tea. However, if you're starved for (another) 1 man 32 map megawad, then download this. It'll kill some time if nothing else.
Once more I'd like to state that you might find this 'review' completely off, but again I'd like to reiterate that this is my opinion, and that yes, I guess I am jaded.

7/10, a little worse than rebirth.wad but a little better than rw.wad imho.

I didn't care for this megawad at first, but later on the levels got much better, like around map16 I think. The 'hell' maps so far have been cool, and I enjoy the original music muchly. I think I very close to the end, and will be playing it again. 8/10

Vile Flesh - 4.5 out of 5

CONS

- Author wasn't going for detail here but the maps weren't entirely bland. They got larger, but not too complicated, as the game progressed.

- Although ammo and health was aplenty, armor was very scarce.

- Secrets VERY difficult to find on some Maps. This got annoying after awhile.

- Final Boss was a bit easy.

PROS 

- It's very cool only one author did all of this! Rock on Gynn! Great wad for 1994!

- Game play was VERY fun. Not a slaughterfest by any means, but challenging on UV. You can beat the game without dying. I wouldn't recommend anything easier than HMP.

- Plenty of ammo, except Plasma Rifle/BFG9000 cells, which isn't entirely bad considering Cyber Demons weren't everywhere; plenty of health packs.

- I DID like the idea that Map 26 warranted VERY few Shotgun shells - and I mean I only found 16 total (a 'bundle' of SSG and two [4 pack] shells - including secrets) in this large map, with no Sergeants. So get used to the Chaingun & Rocket Launcher on this level - ammo for the Chaingun was aplenty!

- The puzzles were clever. Good monster placement.

- Music was awesome!

All and all a very good Megawad. Well worth downloading and playing. Has definite replay value.    ~ dylux

Edited by dylux

Vile Flesh has aged quite well. I think there's a renaissance going on with megawads that have old school elements. "Bland" might be how these elements were described several decades ago. Hopefully it gets more play in the future. Based on reading historical threads from ~20 years ago, it appears this wad was passed over for taking a traditional (*cough* old school) Doom approach. I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

I'm glad to see this wad on 'Top 25 Missed Cacoawards' list.

https://www.doomworld.com/25years/top-25-missed-cacowards/