Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

How long did it take to beat the game?

I'm looking for two estimated figures from people:

1) How many real-life hours were spent in front of the game until completion?

2) About what percent of the above time was "wasted" on deaths, reloads and re-attempts? 20% wasted time? 50%? 75%?

Thanks.

1) Hard to say since it was spread out over sevral days. But it's very long. At least 12 hours for me. Probably much longer.

2) Less than 1%. I found the game a bit too easy. Most of my deaths were due to my own mistakes like wakling under a crusher or missing a jump.

Probably took me a good 20 hours? I'm not sure.

I played on Normal and I didn't die that much so maybe 5% at most.

I'd say the same as Ling, 20ish hours, 5% wasted time. On the Normal skill setting. It's a lot longer on nightmare, with a fair amount more 'wasted' time.

Linguica said:

Probably took me a good 20 hours? I'm not sure.

I played on Normal and I didn't die that much so maybe 5% at most.

Are you just taking the 20 hours from that PCGamer article that said it takes 20 hours. I'd have to say that it was less than that.

AndrewB said:

1) How many real-life hours were spent in front of the game until completion?

2) About what percent of the above time was "wasted" on deaths, reloads and re-attempts? 20% wasted time? 50%? 75%?

1. It really was about 17-20 hours, kinda longer than i expected but it still could have stood to be longer.

2. Only about 3%, it was sorta easy, i played on Veteran thinking that the game woudl be hard.

however, about 5% of the game was wasted on the fact that i got stuck and had to look around a room for five minutes ot figure out what the excact path i was supposed to take was

#1.) 16 hours 31 minutse (Yes, I time myself)

#2.) About 5% of that time was loading, re-loading quick saves, etc.

I played it in the evenings over 5 days.(including having to install XP twice)
first half on marine, second half on veteran.
way too easy, guardian was the only boss I died at (because I was too stupid to know what to do immediately) and most situations where you die, since the game is so linear and episodic, you can just reload and win on a second play.
about 15-20 hours. little time wasted re-playing.
fun game, but unlike DOOM, it has very few parts you look forward to playing again.

Opulent said:

I played it in the evenings over 5 days.(including having to install XP twice)
first half on marine, second half on veteran.
way too easy, guardian was the only boss I died at (because I was too stupid to know what to do immediately) and most situations where you die, since the game is so linear and episodic, you can just reload and win on a second play.
about 15-20 hours. little time wasted re-playing.
fun game, but unlike DOOM, it has very few parts you look forward to playing again.

Wow aren't you so awesome. Only died on the guardian. You bragger-person thing...j/k

SupremeGeneral said:

2 weeks, (i was on vac. one of them)

2%, 0% after i learned there was a god mode ;)

Oh yeah, must be so hard to beat the game on God mode, right?

KLittle123 said:

Wow aren't you so awesome. Only died on the guardian. You bragger-person thing...j/k

Although I'd hope I'm better than their target player, I certainly wasn't bragging. The game is just too easy.
I'm sure most of us here at DW have similar experiences with it.
I'm psyched for HR-esque third-party DOOM3 sp maps!
edit: Alice was the last game I played and that was freaking hard! but then, I always use my gun first and my head second so that may have something to do with it.

Took me 3 days I installed it at 6pm on Tuesday the 3rd and finished it at 9:30pm that friday night, I played about 4-5 hours a day maybe a little longer on a couple nights. So I would say about 20 hours which has been the average time I've seen so far. I also have seen everything everyone else claims to have seen ni the game so I don't think I cheated myself by "taking my time" because I did actually take in all the areas and see all the stuff.

I've also played the game on all the difficulties each time taking a little bit shorter of a time to compelete since I know where all the creatures and things where I needed.

Edit: I must also add that after playing all the difficulties I don't really plan on playing it much anymore until some new mod comes out, or something to add co-op. Deathmatch is really not my thing. Fun game, but not worth the 60.00 I paid for it, I should have just got it from a friend to play through it once in single player and saved 60.00.

Took me until yesterday morning to beat it for the first time.

I started playing the weekend before it was released (heh heh) and only got up to delta labs 2 at marine difficulty before I left for vacation. I brought my laptop with Doom 3 installed on that to play but only got up to alpha labs 4 in recruit before I got back. Then I lost my marine savegames from a hard drive crash, so I started over on Veteran when I got everything back in working order.

So ...

1. It took me six nights with 3-6 hours of play, each. So that´s about 25 or 30 hours I think. I played at a fairly slow pace to suck in the atmosphere.

2. Dunno; died a couple of times but the game reloads fast so about 5% wasted on that, I guess.

10 hours maybe? I got bored of the repetition and used give all and god about 3/5 to 3/4 the way through

Quast said:

10 hours maybe? I got bored of the repetition and used give all and god about 3/5 to 3/4 the way through

CHEATER!

heh, j/k each their won is my motto, but only cheaters really cheat themselves ;)

Real life hours my first time through -- around 20 I would guess.

Time spent reloading maps because of death -- I don't know... an hour? I played at the default difficulty and didn't die very often at all.

For those interested, I beat the guardian my very first try. Don't get me wrong, I was at (literally) 4% health, but I did do it. :D

ZiGZaG said:

heh, j/k each their won is my motto, but only cheaters really cheat themselves ;)

not in this instance, not with doom 3. By the time I did that I was sick and tired of running around the UAC labs and I just wanted to see the hell levels. At that point I stopped cheating and played. Oh joy...wait, only one hell level, then back to the labs? super

/resume cheating

About 30 hours on normal. I did take a lot of time over the alpha labs just kicking chairs around and stuff :P I like to take my time. I also went back and disobeyed the send communication to fleet order just to see if that would change anything drastically. I also took forever over the guardian, wasn't being very bright the evening I came to him.

I'd say about 20% was reloads. If I don't deal with a batch of enemies as good as I think I should I usually go back and make myself do it again. This usually led to surplus health and way too much armour on most levels which then had to be discarded but still.

Doom3 took me around 25 hours to beat on Marine difficulty, and I usually explore everything. I lost very few time due to deaths. Safe often though :)

i think it was about 15-20 hours. spread out over a week period.

maybe 10% was wasted. 8% of that was having fun with physics, STTP3 and such. like punching the "jello" torsos. imp baiting is fun, see how many in a row you can kill with only 1 shot from the shotgun. i died more from my imp baitng game than anything else.

I spent a little over one week real time with around 4-5 hours per day. I believe about 35 hours total, but I played on Veteran, scouted all the areas for secrets of which I found two besides the id PDA...those are actual hidden panels with goodies secrets, not open areas which just requires crawling around. I would frequently backtrack and explore after clearing out a section. I figure perhaps 5% of that time was dying and reloading...I made like 60 save points.

Now I'm on Nightmare and after one week I'm not even half-way through. Dying and reloading is up to around 15% and my save points are up to 50 already. It's Hell just trying to survive with only 25 health even with the SoulCube.

About 20+ hours over a period of 10 days. I guess about 5% wasted on deaths, reloading etc. Wasn't that hard though i saved quite a lot.