Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foofoo

Whats the greatest 'epic' wad???

I don't mean what is the wad with the best gameplay, best graphics, best story, best yadda-yadda-whoopidee-doo-daa, I'm talking the grandest epic wad of wild grandeur!

Because seriously i can't really think of any. Oh! Galaxy.wad. I don't know why, but it's quite epic to me (probably just because of the music) Action Doom got into epic mode slightly in the beginning and mostly towards the end. I can't seem to think of anymore. But for some reason I remember playing quite a few epics in the old days, like in the mid to late 90's era. Whatever they were.

Grazza said:

Eternal

yeah, dunno how I didn't think of this first :P

RTC-3057
DOOM 64 TC
Eternal DOOM
Aliens Tc
Dwango (just for the popularity)
Skulltag

Umm, what about Chris Lutz (Inferno, PAR, Caverns of Darkness)?

I think his stuff would qualify as "epic" as well.

Oh yeah, and some of Virgil the Doom Poet's stuff is pretty bombastic too.

And then there is Millennium, (once the boss monster gets done).

Yeah, PAR is definitely epic (the crane in E1M3 rules), Temple of the Ancients is one I'd classify as an epic in the sense of Chrono Trigger, and then there's Massmouth 2.

rtc-3057
phobos anomaly reborn
equinox
eternal doom
action doom
massmouth 1&2
void

Deus Vult, on map5 (ie all 4 levels merged into one). You can slog through it for hours, moving from one vast set-peice battle to the next, in (mostly) stunning surroundings, it just needs a powerful computer to do so, and playing maps 1-4 seperately kills it

Deus Vult! I forgot all about that one.

I don't mean to sound mean but that RTC-043425323 whatever number, is terribly terribly cliched. Ugh.

Erp said:

the Talosian incident was good.

well... i always thought the Talosian Incident was quite anti-epic. Too quiet and not enought monsters.

Epic means tons of monsters, huge damn structures, that sort of thing. It doesn't have anything to do with 'feel' or story. Or even quality. It may enhance it though, but it's not what makes it epic.

Foofoo said:

Deus Vult! I forgot all about that one.

I don't mean to sound mean but that RTC-043425323 whatever number, is terribly terribly cliched. Ugh.

I disagree, RTC-3057 has to be one of the best wads i've ever played, the scripting was great, along with the maps and everything else, I thought they did an awesome job on it...

SmellyOgre said:

I disagree, RTC-3057 has to be one of the best wads i've ever played, the scripting was great, along with the maps and everything else, I thought they did an awesome job on it...

Well technically they did it well, sure, but that doesn't mean it isn't cliched/typical. Everything was like out of Aliens to me, and about a million other identical looking wads.

MasterOFDeath said:

... I always have loved Icarus ...

I love Icarus too, but I certainly wouldn't think of it as an epic. Most of the maps are only medium-sized, and can all be completed fairly quickly.