Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Grazza

The /newstuff Chronicles #195

Holy crap, I read 6 posts and suddenly there are 5 more posts in this thread. Craziness.

Am I the only one who doesn't have any trouble with Legacy? I actually like the way it looks... although I think I'll likely move on to JDoom, but first I want a nice patch of 3d models for the original monsters.

I mainly use Legacy for its adjustable respawn time on multiplayer. Whee 200% with one health bonus in about 5 seconds.

sweet flamewar dudes

now stfu and start talking about the damned wads before I DESTROY YOU ALL

Cyb, it's your fault, you and your DOOM 3 review!

A lot of cool stuff this week, got it sitting on the hard drive at home and i'll try some of it out once i get home. That Kaiser wad looks cool, though it doesnt sound like my idea of fun i'll give it a chance. Option denied sounds cool, i like short sweet blasts through small but good looking tech maps (hey, just like RTC, heh). The first shot of Tremor looks VERY cool, and i'll probably be impressed by those SP skulltag ones no matter what the architecture is like because "OMG, Neu powerups!!"

Can you guys stop bashing legacy and talk about how good Tremor is if I'm not the only one here who played it and liked it.

Eloba DOES have a point, though. I did some pretty cool flamethrower sprites (IMO) using Espi's Minigun and WolfenDoom Ex's flamethrower as bases but I haven't released them because of the permissions bit in Minigun.wad said you MAY not use this WAD blah blah blah.

Mystical.wad:
Doom is not game this is something black disk eggs on pictures. And by that i mean doom maps dont seem to be made to be fun any more, they seem to be made to make some bullshit artistic statement, take this idocy. The ammo balance is non-existant, well, in fact the ammo itself is non existant, you are surrounded by demons and imps with only 50 pistol bullets to fight them, who could make something like this and still sleep at night?

Kaiser 12:
Pretty architecture, non-existant gameplay, HOW are you supposed to survive 2 hellknights in a hallway with 20% health? i'd rather play doom 3!

Dreadful.wad:
Hey, something FUN at last!, its very convincingly E2, Like E1 but you can see a hellish influence taking its hold upon the base, with marble faces and tentacles starting to appear, plus the architecture is top-notch and the gameplay is pretty fun. One complaint though..criminally short!

The gate.wad:
This was pretty cool too, i couldnt beat the cyber at the end (low health), but the journey to him was very fun, again pretty architecture and some cool swimmable areas, lots of blood and green slime which is not harmful, so feel free to go wading in. Might have been better to make it water though, just to put player's minds at ease, plus water can look good with marble.

Option Denied:
Great architecture, hard but possible gameplay (well ok i used god mode to box some revenants, but thats what you are expected to do in wads these days), exciting traps and cool litte areas with nice features which are just pleasing to the eye, Might even be worth a second -nm run through to have a look. I got a little lost towards the end of the second map, but that doesnt matter very much. Its my personal Wad of the week

Tremor:
Tried it in EDGE cause the text file said i could, and some doors wouldnt open. So i tried it in zdoom, the doors did open letting out another horde of imps and a few spectres to reinforce the one i was running away from...

E1M5 Reincarnated:
Didnt have the energy to play it after that lot, well i died and loaded and i had saved too far back. will continue it later on. What i saw was beautiful though

Let's all take note the Xaser IS NOT the first person to spawn weapons from other games into Doom using Zdoom. Enjay and I were pretty much the ones who figured all that out. He showed me an example of how to spawn monsters then I did it with weapons and as far as I know that's where it began. How come I've never even heard of this Xaser character? Is he new or something?

Oh well I think I should just get around to finishing Underworld. (anyone remember that?) It'll never get finished if I don't do something soon.

deathbringer said:

Mystical.wad:
Doom is not game this is something black disk eggs on pictures. And by that i mean doom maps dont seem to be made to be fun any more, they seem to be made to make some bullshit artistic statement, take this idocy. The ammo balance is non-existant, well, in fact the ammo itself is non existant, you are surrounded by demons and imps with only 50 pistol bullets to fight them, who could make something like this and still sleep at night?

That's what happens if you don't read the text file. You're not supposed to kill anything on map01, you just 1. run for the exit or 2. grab the shotgun, risk taking damage, and then run for the exit. Please READ THE FUCKING TEXT FILE before saying shit like this. This is not your average arcade wad. You don't have to kill everythingthing.

Tremor is good, gameplay is solid and I was never short of ammo or health. But cut out all the floor trim and stuff stuck in the ceiling and you have a bland layout with mostly square rooms. All those sectors coulda been used to make the progression more exciting imo. Cool map though, love the theme.

hobomaster's level also is very good, not over the top, concise and to the point. Wonderful use of slopes and lighting. I really liked this one, but I agree with Udderdude that music choice is weird.

Lazer said:

Let's all take note the Xaser IS NOT the first person to spawn weapons from other games into Doom using Zdoom. Enjay and I were pretty much the ones who figured all that out. He showed me an example of how to spawn monsters then I did it with weapons and as far as I know that's where it began.

You've done a weapon wad like that that works with any level? Well, sorry, I didn't know about that or anything, and I've never seen any wad that spawns the weapons like that, so I kind of assumed that I was the first person to do this.

Or are you talking about the general spawning weapons from other games thing? I mean that I'm the first to make a weapon wad that works with any level and has more than 9 weapons.

Also, could you send me the wad or something so I can see for myself?

Lazer said:

How come I've never even heard of this Xaser character? Is he new or something?

No, not really. I'm pretty well known at zdoom.org, but I rarely show up here (and when I do, it's usually just to check t/nc). And also, how come I've never heard of you before? Heh. You're probably someone I've heard of, only with a different nickname. "Lazer" doesn't bring anything to mind.

And also, I've uploaded the updated version of 0verp0wered Weap0ns, so I hope we could get this thing all sorted out. Sorry again for the annoyance.

And has anyone here even played I.C.T.O.A.N. yet?

I guess no one played my wad. Nobody likes a good maze? Only 2 levels have real mazes. I don't know what Grazza was talking about when he said most of them had them. And yeah, it's low on health, but I have beaten it fairly easy on UV. (You could always play on easy if it's too hard) Yes, savegames and loadgames are needed often, but it's a different style. Right? ... Oh wait.

Whatever. I made this two years ago anyways, and the maps were simply based directly from drawings I did when I was bored. I am FAR more capable than what's in this wad, but alas. I don't have as much free time as I did then.

Hey, Grazza. Did you find the BFG on level 31? I might have made it too hidden.

GGG said:

Did you find the BFG on level 31? I might have made it too hidden.

I didn't bother looking, given that it was possible simply to grab the key and exit.

"I leave the Spider alone. It does not kill me, so why should I kill it ?" - Steffen Winterfeldt.

deathbringer said:

Kaiser 12:
Pretty architecture, non-existant gameplay, HOW are you supposed to survive 2 hellknights in a hallway with 20% health? i'd rather play doom 3!

The key to beating kaiser_12 is to use your ammo wisely, don't bother taking out the Revenants in the pillars or any other enemy thats not in your way, unless you got enough ammo. And like Grazza said, its best that you get familar with the level before taking on the enemies, or just play on easy skill then move on up. I mean, no one isn't suppose to beat the thing on UV on one try...thats why we got the other difficulties to get the player adjusted to the maps.

Xaser said:

Or are you talking about the general spawning weapons from other games thing? I mean that I'm the first to make a weapon wad that works with any level and has more than 9 weapons.

Also, could you send me the wad or something so I can see for myself?

I'm confused by what you mean "working with every level" but I assume you mean this:
Replace the graphics and sounds of the weapon you want to spawn with your own graphics or import them from that game. Lets use the cross bow from Heretic as an example. Once you've created your own wad with these converted (I say converted because the doom palette is slightly different) and have the sounds converted you run a spawn command on them. It's been probably a year since I've done this so I forget the console command. Now you also need to bind the keys in a config file correctly so you can select the weapons as well. Now when you make maps and want these weapons spawned you just use a script to spawn at all of your spawn points whatever weapon you replaced the sprites/sounds for and your done. And proof I released something earlier?
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11798 (12/30/02)
Check out weapons #9 and #0. Works with every level. Make sure you are using Zdoom. Whats funny is this wad never got a review because some asshole changed around some things and reuploaded it as Underworld Beta 4 like a week before I was to upload the real beta 4. Oh well I'll add another level or two and finalize things and call it done. This project has been long on hold.

Xaser said:

No, not really. I'm pretty well known at zdoom.org, but I rarely show up here (and when I do, it's usually just to check t/nc). And also, how come I've never heard of you before? Heh. You're probably someone I've heard of, only with a different nickname. "Lazer" doesn't bring anything to mind.

Eh I'm kinda a vet to these boards. Registered a long time ago used to be a big poster then I kinda moved onto other games. I come back here every once in a while cuz I still enjoy Doom.

I think xaser means that the enemies drop heretic/hexen weapons, but the normal weapon pickups are doom weapons, so that it "works with any level" in that in any level with enemies they will drop the extra weapons...

Though actually Immoral Conduct did that ages ago, for instance Chaingunners drop Miniguns, but the Chaingun pickup is a UZI

Nice week, interesting wads, Tremor is cool and so on...

What do you know! I'm a total sucker for E1 remakes, and E1M5:R is really a good surprise! Looks so nice and plays fine (although a bit too hard for me, poor clumsy old guy).

Keep those remakes coming pleeeaase ! :P

Wow! FearDM started a very long time ago. I thought it was long dead. (I'm talking YEARS ago, before Darkening E2)

I remember greatly anticipating it when I first heard of it. If it's only five maps, I wonder if they were originally going to make more, then after years of no progress, they simply released what was done long ago.

Hyena said:

Wow! FearDM started a very long time ago. I thought it was long dead. (I'm talking YEARS ago, before Darkening E2)

I remember greatly anticipating it when I first heard of it. If it's only five maps, I wonder if they were originally going to make more, then after years of no progress, they simply released what was done long ago.

it was originally going to be more, like 15 or so. all of the maps we started back then were lost, which is probably a good thing, as they weren't near as good as the ones i released now. i just happened upon the html files for the old site, and resurrected the idea. i haven't talked to kliqten in quite some time, so the levels were all done by me, started from scratch a couple weeks ago.

Xaser said:

So anyway, my point is, I'm sorry, I screwed up, I'm fixing the problem, and I'm not gonna do it again. Now let's put this all aside and start talking about /newstuff again.

Good idea. Erm, that BFG in the first weapon's WAD is mental. Nice :)

Lazer said:

Eh I'm kinda a vet to these boards. Registered a long time ago

pfft! You're a veritable newbie! :P

Let's all take note the Xaser IS NOT the first person to spawn weapons from other games into Doom using Zdoom. Enjay and I were pretty much the ones who figured all that out. He showed me an example of how to spawn monsters then I did it with weapons and as far as I know that's where it began. How come I've never even heard of this Xaser character? Is he new or something?

Well I think we've come to the conclusion that there are crossed wires here, but even if you had worked out the same method before, unless you actually release said method, you can't really lay claim to it.

Jon said:

Well I think we've come to the conclusion that there are crossed wires here, but even if you had worked out the same method before, unless you actually release said method, you can't really lay claim to it.

Scroll up and read my post. I released a 10 map mod using this trick back in '02!

I really liked Tremor. I actually liked the layouta lot. Started out a bit linear but opened up later on. I'm surprised more wasn't mentioned in the review about it's level of detail. I can't think of many other levels of that size which are as detailed (with about 32k sidedefs).

I don't think I would personally have included quite as many monsters, and some of the big battles weren't as good as I thought they could have been. The first one where all the imps teleport in was a bit annoying. In fact that room annoyed me by itself, with it's annoying nukage pits which you couldn't get out of (and which killed you really slowly). In fact a number of the nukage pits throughout the level seemed a bit pointless to me. And the second big battle was a bit dull also, just shooting down a hallway, but the final one was fun. But despite these nitpics it's ********ly one of the better single levels released for some time (and would have been nice in CC2).

Have to give the E1M5 remake a go. I liked the last one, but thought it was a little too similar to the original doom level. Hope there are some more changes to the gameplay in this one.

Lazer said:

Scroll up and read my post. I released a 10 map mod using this trick back in '02!

I got the impression from your post that you used a fairly labourous script-based method (with the console stuff etc.) to spawn the weapons on the enemy death event; I get the impression from Xaser's posts that he's using the heretic/hexen code pointers on the doom monsters frames, so different tricks.

However I'm not 100% sure since I don't want to disassemble the wads right now, trying to write a presentation for a job interview and this is a form of avoiding that.