Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

"The Scream" stolen

Heh, just saw a news clip about "the scream" being stolen. For those less artful people, its the painting of the guy screaming. some guys literaly walked out with it and others. 10 years ago the same thing happened. however could not find anything on the net, accept about the incedent in 1994. if you have a link, post it. kinda funny that there wasnt much security

Heh, good thing so meone posted this, cause I wanted to make this rant.

Okay, what the fuck are you going to do with a stolen painting, especialy one that is world famous? What, sell it on the black market? Yeah, maybe you'll find a bidder but thats rather unlikely. I mean, what is someone going to do with it, hang it on thier wall? "Oh, how lovely, Munsch's The Scream. I heard that was stolen last year. Now let me just call the cops." Seriously, there would be no point unless you were full of yourself enough that just owning it and keeping in some secret basement gave you some kind of smug satisfaction. What the Hell is the point?

Anyway, I hope they recover it safe and sound. It's one of my favorite works of art.

Danarchy said:

Okay, what the fuck are you going to do with a stolen painting, especialy one that is world famous? What, sell it on the black market? Yeah, maybe you'll find a bidder but thats rather unlikely. I mean, what is someone going to do with it, hang it on thier wall? "Oh, how lovely, Munsch's The Scream. I heard that was stolen last year. Now let me just call the cops."

thats exactly what happens.

and whod call the cops when you can buy a print of a painting? we have a monet in the kitchen, just a reprint on some poster paper. no ones called the cops yet. although i think you can buy monet's.

Danarchy said:

Heh, good thing so meone posted this, cause I wanted to make this rant.

Okay, what the fuck are you going to do with a stolen painting, especialy one that is world famous? What, sell it on the black market? Yeah, maybe you'll find a bidder but thats rather unlikely. I mean, what is someone going to do with it, hang it on thier wall? "Oh, how lovely, Munsch's The Scream. I heard that was stolen last year. Now let me just call the cops." Seriously, there would be no point unless you were full of yourself enough that just owning it and keeping in some secret basement gave you some kind of smug satisfaction. What the Hell is the point?

"Ransom"

Sephiroth said:

Heh, just saw a news clip about "the scream" being stolen. For those less artful people, its the painting of the guy screaming.

the guy isn't screaming jerkface, it's the landscape around him.

Certainly one of the best impressionist paintings in existence. But I would wager that there a a bunch of Private Collectors who would love to have that painting and they would not show it to people they did not trust. There are many art works out there that have been stolen and not found.

Fredrik said:

Expressionist, not impressionist.

Doh!!!! Right. The hands didn't type what the mind was thinging. Sheesh!

/me spanking hands.

"Looking at Picasso's paintings made me wonder what kind of women he visualized while masturbating" - George Carlin

Edvard Munch I do believe. It's a shame such a staple of expressionism will probably never be seen again. Oh and who just grabs a painting off the wall and runs away with it?

Scuba Steve said:

Edvard Munch I do believe. It's a shame such a staple of expressionism will probably never be seen again. Oh and who just grabs a painting off the wall and runs away with it?

Nah, it'll come back. These stolen paintings always seem to come back in the end when people grow tired of getting a ransom and the heat builds on them.

Scuba Steve said:

Some people might just do it for the rush and the excitement of being able to fuck off with something well known and priceless as everybody looks on helplessly in horror.

How does somebody steal a painting like that? Isn't it in a glass box with tight security?

Apparently there was only one security guard nearby and it was just hanging on the wall with a wire.

Yeah, some people need to review their security.

well i guess the image fit the faces of some of the people who saw the event take place. i only hope they get those pices of art back, it would be a shame should any damage come to them.

i am sure security will, and is, beefed up at the place.

i wonder what the great artist himself would think of this? i dont really know much about the guy.

I don't know why everyone talk about a great art thievery.

Given that they were taken away at gunpoint without any use of stealth, wouldn't the incident be more accurately described as a great art robbery

Danarchy said:

Yeah, some people need to review their security.

If you ever end up visiting Scandinavia, you'll find this is fairly widespread. A lot more trust is given to people that they won't ruin/steal/deface things. Some of the time it doesn't work that well, unfortunately.

Oh, and you guys know that Munch made five copies of this painting, right? Even in the worst-case scenario it's not lost forever.