Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FlexGalaxy

Sarge

Use3D said:

Sure I like Doom3 alot, but all of the bosses to come out of id have sucked completely since Doom2.

What about the Guardian?

I thought he was kickass, because he really made me feel hunted.

Side note: when I first fought the guardian, I thought you couldn't sprint in Hell so the guardian kept kicking my ass since I couldn't really get away from it.
Try fighting him without using the sprint key - really brings the fear to your heart ;-)

lupinx_resurrected said:

BTW, I sent the transmission on that part and beat the game that way. I never whent back to see what happens if you cancel the transmisson. So what changes if you choose to cancel the message?

I had to replay the game just to see what happened after being thanked by Dr. Betruger for calling the fleet.

After canceling the message while leaving the communications center, you are threatened with an insubordination radio headset message from Sarge. Then when Betruger tries to kill you with the poison gas (talking to you via the computer monitor ) He gives the identical speech with the exception that he say "Pity you did not call for the fleet, but don't worry, I will sent the distress call myself" - or something close to that effect.

Either way, it has absolutely no difference in the gameplay or maps.

dsm said:

What about the Guardian?

I thought he was kickass, because he really made me feel hunted.

I thought that was a terrible, hideously contrived fight. The ridiculous trick to killing him was old, dull and frustrating. The guardian itself was a cool enemy but the fight was awful IMO.

Evil Dad said:

I had to replay the game just to see what happened after being thanked by Dr. Betruger for calling the fleet.

That was weak and cheap (not you playing - what happened). You chase all over mars, trying to catch up with Bravo Coy. (despite the fact it becomes very clear very early on that you are never going to catch them until the game allows you to - making Sarge Kelly's messages to hurry up pointless and annoying). Finally you meet the survivor of B-Coy (who predicatably dies a few seconds later) and get the data needed to call the fleet. Then you make it alone across the mars base to the comms tower, insert the data and then get asked whether you want to send or not. The game is now totally in your hands. You have earned the right to make this decision. You are going to shape how the game turns out. Well, no actually, it makes fuck-all difference as some NPC will call the fleet if you don't because the game needs it to be that way.

So just don't give me the "choice" in the first place.

It doesn't make sense anyway. If Betruger is so all powerful, and can call the fleet anyway, why do I need to call them? This is even worse when you consider that Sarge may have already been in league with Betruger. Sarge encouraging me to send the message, coaxing me down every corridor, also trying to get Bravo Coy. to do the same whilst all the time Betruger could have done it himself. Bah!

Enjay said:

It doesn't make sense anyway. If Betruger is so all powerful, and can call the fleet anyway, why do I need to call them? This is even worse when you consider that Sarge may have already been in league with Betruger. Sarge encouraging me to send the message, coaxing me down every corridor, also trying to get Bravo Coy. to do the same whilst all the time Betruger could have done it himself. Bah!

Betruger Isn't eveil yet, or Betruger is a lazy B#stard, or its a game.

Enjay, I feel your pain...

When I saw the "choice" to send or not send the distress call, I thought - Kewl! a DooM with two possible endings! But alas, it was little more than a tease.

I can't help but think of the possibilities if id had elected to have two endings depending upon your decision to send or not send the message, but dang, I guess I have to agree that if I really never had any choice, then why give it to me. ( ? )

That said, I do think they did an excellent job on the game, and my only real disappointment was the absence of the background music so associated with the original DooM. sheesh, type "DooM midi" in a search engine and you can see just how popular it still is today. I can understand the explanations of why the BG music was omitted, but I feel that it took us too far away from the familiarity, originality, CDI factor or whatever you wish to call it - that endeared us to the game so many years ago.

predit0rian said:

You have to kill the Sarge?! Why?! Is it because of the key card caller thing you get from the one guy(i have not really played the game too much)?

You should stay out of the spoiler sections if you don't want the surprises ruined, Predit0rian.

Deathmatcher said:

You donĀ“t like Strogg Leader?

Looked great, but hardly difficult.

Caco-Puff said:

Fell in a vat of that green goo.

Where is this said goo as I don't think I have seen it, I only recall of the goo in Recycling 1.

Mr. Chris said:

Where is this said goo as I don't think I have seen it, I only recall of the goo in Recycling 1.

That stuff.He left containment too early and he wasnt cured so he transformed into the Sabboth.Then he didnt report a man he saw take a poop in one of the holding cells,And they strapped a BFG to him for punishment.

I agree with Enjay

But that said, in and of itself, the design for Sarge was cool, just out of place as compared to everything else, and a blatant ripoff of the tank in Quake2

Also, why did the arena you fight him in have to be so SMALL... really

Mr. Chris said:

well the word "goo" is actually used in the game. one of the audio logs. kinda funny considering that alot of high-tech info is being explained, then they throw in the word goo.

Here's how I see the damn thing:

Betruger: Was a normal, but very ambitious scientist. Possibly coaxed by the UAC to work harder on the teleporters to get the UAC their "product". When the teleporters opened up the link to Hell, he was affected by the Hellish presence (Hell picked him to corrupt because he was the guy in charge), voices kept calling to him and he was lured in there when the time came and once in Hell, he fully fell prey to Hell's corruption (was possibly possessed by a demon).

When all things went to Hell, Sarge was still a normal human, but being the logical, straight-forward military commander that he is, he concludes: "We need reinforcements", so he orders his remaining troops to get a distress call across to the fleet, not knowing that he will Doom the entire human race in doing so.
He himself has made his way to the Delta Labs where he thinks he's safe, but after a while, he realizes that the demons are coming from the Delta Labs. Betruger (an Hell) decides: "This guy is a threat to us, we need to corrupt the bastard and lure that annoying Marine hero into a trap", so they catch up with him, possibly drag him into Hell where he's given the same treatment Betruger was subjected to, then he's sent back to "his post" in the Delta Labs, where he's different. That's where he talks to the Marine and tells him: "plans are changed".

Betruger (or Hell) eventually warps ol' Sarge into Sabaoth.

Why the Marine isn't corrupted when he goes to Hell may be because he doesn't allow demons to possess him (Sarge was possibly captured/subdued, so he couldn't resist).

Man, this stuff has potential for a cool fanfic :-P

According to the video transmission you get from the sarge right after the initial invasion, it says he stays in Marine HQ, where you got your first orders from him. The only time I could see him getting possessed/mutated is when you're in Hell.

I think i need to remember all of the events but I tend to think that Sarge was in it the whole time. You don't get any orders from him after establishing contact ("He's done our deed! We have no further use for him").

Then again there is that bit in the labs when you see him on the video screens. Then after you come out of hell he's the saboath thing.

Deathmatcher said:

A pitty, that there isnĀ“t a cutscene showing his transformation.

I e-mailed Matthew Costello personally and asked about Sarge and his transformation into Saboath and he said it was all going to be explained in the third Doom novel (the previous two being Worlds On Fire and Maelstrom) but unfortunately the third book was cancelled for an unknown reason or reasons :( I was really disappointed with that.