Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clawt

Doom Fetish!

What is your favorite weird part of doom? Now I don't mean level or something common, but like favorite little weird ass detail that makes the game...your game? Whats the one thing that will make you laugh or smile when you see/hear it no matter what mood your in?
I personally love the 'THUMP!' sound of pinky hitting the floor. It's when you hear that and nothing else, thats the best! Also the Blue and grey 'tech' textures are really cool to.(only in e1 i think)
Now I know post your favorite.. has been done before, but lets get somethin' new out of this one!

For some reason, the crack of the SS is great. I remember one time, I was on Zdaemon, and the wad we were playing changed the SS sound. It screwed me up so bad, just not hearing the familiar bang from the super shotgun threw my game off, and I still dont know why. Also, is the sound of a cacodemon dying, that weird... Squeal they make. and that growly sound that the bull demons make, while they walk around. I cant even describe it. It's the weirdest sound ever.

It's my understanding that American McGee did several of the sounds. He also provided the player pain and death sounds for the Quake test, so that doesn't surprise me.

I love the revved up sound of the chainsaw. Like, when I play deathmatches against my friends I enjoy stalking them through the dark, letting them hear my chainsaw as their only warning to where I am. I just find that really cool. But these friends I play against sorta suck at doom, so that's why I can stalk them so easy. If I'm playing against someone skilled, I can't do my stalking routine. Just ask Ralphis.

But yeah. Chainsaw.

Doom was the first game i bought that had the epilepsy warning on the inside. Although i never went into convulsions or anything similar, there was a time when after playing DooM for several hours, one of my eyes would bleed. I would come downstairs and my wife would get all spooked out by it. Its been so long i cant even remember which eye it was, but i remember it being all fukked up. I contributed it to the rapid light flash's going on in the game, and me playing it in the dark. I used to zone so hard on that shit while playing it, im surprised i didnt go into a coma or something.. lol. DooM ruled me back than.

Seeing Cacos plummeting from a height after being blasted, especially if you're on a platform and they drop out of sight. That or running right up to enemies and SSG-ing them, i loved doing that on DSV, though most well balanced wads dont let you take such gun-ho risks. Also when going that you can get a split-second glimpse of the enemy falling and the blood coming out of them where the pellets impacted, so you can imagine they are all being torn up in different ways like real life.

Oh, and catching myself ducking in my seat to avoid fireballs, its such a cool effect doom has on people. I dont know of any other game that does that..and it puts todays 'immersive' games to shame

Heh I always do that. That and leaning to the left or right when I'm trying to dodge rockets in DM.

Hmmm, I think I'd say killing spectres in a heap, so that their corpses form a shimmering black smudge. I did that on The Citadel once when I was new to the game and thought it was pretty cool.

deathbringer said:

Oh, and catching myself ducking in my seat to avoid fireballs, its such a cool effect doom has on people. I dont know of any other game that does that..and it puts todays 'immersive' games to shame

Yeah, I do stuff like that when I've gotten into the game pretty well. I remember one time I was playing Alien Vendetta and was at a corner with low health, and I suspected a monster was waiting around the corner, so I was leaning my head trying to peek around.

Heh, I was playing a little Edge mod I'm making, playing with my revolver weapon, and I caught myself trying to absorb the recoil with my elbow. And then there's the times when I kinda hunch over in my seat when I crouch (also an Edge thing).

deathbringer said:

Me too, i always lean over in my seat when evading the imp's fireballs.

Mines killing imps and zombies with the beserk, just running up to them and splatting them. Awesome stuff. As well as killing imps with the shotgun.

Probably the pure speed of the game when fighting big battles in Plutonia, AV, HR etc. (buzz) Also the tactical and against-the-odds nature of slaughter maps.

deathbringer said:

Heh, I do that sometimes too. Particularly with revenant rockets.

i like the gameplay and atmosphere that doom has, it's the best i've seen in any game

the cheap way they just make half of the graphic of the gun (when you're carying it) and they just flip and paste the one half to make a whole. you get me?

also that stupid pointless line in MAP30 that they forgot to take out. And the lone out-of-reach stimpack outside in Episode 1 of Doom1. And that grey stump- and the flying shells, and all the other crap they forgot to take out.

the cheap way they just make half of the graphic of the gun (when you're carying it) and they just flip and paste the one half to make a whole. you get me?

also that stupid pointless line in MAP30 that they forgot to take out. And the lone out-of-reach stimpack outside in Episode 1 of Doom1. And that grey stump- and the flying shells, and all the other crap they forgot to take out.

Er..what?, wrong thread?

chopkinsca said:

The game has a certain 'flow' feeling to it and I think it is great. Other games seem to be missing this aspect. Yeah...

All the good levels seem to have you going on a long brutal battle for a key you need and return just find just enough health and ammo to help you survive whats behind the door you just unlocked! Also if you start to cover the same ground over and over and its empty, you might be doing something wrong!

Serious Sam:FE had some good levels with flow like this, but SE did not IMHO

Kill a fistful of imps with a shotgun, taking down each with a single but precise blow it's just exciting.

deathbringer said:

Er..what?, wrong thread?

No- the thread is about your favourite weird ass thing about doom- and those are my favourites.

it everyone else who seems to be lost.