Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkhaven

New Kind of Deathmatch?

In one of the XDoom Deathmatch maps, I am planning on introducing a new kind of Deathmatch: Stealth Combat. The maps are intended for 3 or more players, for reasons explained a bit later into this post.

In Stealth Combat, as the name suggests, the player will be challenged to use stealth to his or her advantage, because here's a little twist: There is only one medikit in the map! And here's another thing: since there's only one constantly-respawning medikit, and a perpetual 2-vs-1 deathmatch, the player will usually end up in the shadows, somewhat hidden from opponents. However, there's always at least one set of Light-Amp Goggles in the map as well. But there's a bit more as well: the stealth player will usually only be using the noiser weapons, not including the berserk pack, which means if the other player is in earshot, he or she can come and investigate his/her friend's corpse, and hunt the stealthy player down.

Anyone have any suggestions for this "game mode"? More importantly, has this been done before? I searched the forums and found no such thread pertaining to this kind of Deathmatch, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Also, the map in question will be included in the next version of XDoom. :P

Sounds good to me except for one thing, you can still see people pretty well no matter how dark you make it.

I'd be suggesting some pallete work... either that or 'specialty' non-colour changeable skins.

maybe the player could be made virtually invisible(transparent) when in shadows, or something, and then when he shoots he becomes more visible for a little while ?

Darkhaven, exactly which of the maps in XDOOM a.k.a Oddyssey of Oblivion are going to support this feature?
Are you planning to make a fourth episode which is intended strictly for Deathmatch play with no SP?
Currently, my E2M5 doesn't contain any DM start points at all. It only contains COOP and SP start points.

for UT theres was a mod called Thievery which was like this, stealth. But like the problem, no matter how dark it is, its still easy to see, you instead have the game use the light levels in different areas to change transparancy, so the darkest setting makes the player completely invisible, unless they attack or move or something similar. It basically used darkness, and movement/action to determine transparancy, so you had to sneak around and steal crap while avoiding the guards.

That kinda system would work for this I think

DarkJedi188 said:

Darkhaven, exactly which of the maps in XDOOM a.k.a Oddyssey of Oblivion are going to support this feature?
Are you planning to make a fourth episode which is intended strictly for Deathmatch play with no SP?
Currently, my E2M5 doesn't contain any DM start points at all. It only contains COOP and SP start points.

Oh, don't worry, you don't have to include any extra DM start points ;) The maps in mind are XDDM1-XDDM6.

And WildWeasel, in the maps, at least one light source per room with Light at 200 is how it's gonna work, with 8 gradient light levels coming out of the sides of that light source. Realism rules.