Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

GNU's Not Doom

Our little known sister site LunixGames has posted an interview with id Software's Timothee Besset aka TTimo, the guy in charge of the Radiant editor as well as all the Doom 3 Linuxy stuff. The article is very penguin oriented but there's some snippets about Doom 3 in there too. Thanks Crusader for bugging me about this.

I actually took the time to read that... he said that, unpolished, the linux client ran much better than the windows version. Which is always nice to know. Who knows, maybe the Doom 3 nerds all jumping to get a higher FPS might dump Windows...

He didn't say that exactly. He's "getting surprisingly good performance compared to the Windows version", which could be interpreted a few different ways.

Given that cvscedega / wine etc. already run the game just about as fast as natively on windows, I'd be very suprised if there wasn't a fair boost in performance when the linux binaries are released. We already get faster loading times...

Yeah, great news. I'll buy my DooM 3 box as soon as the Linux binaries are out and working.
Thanks for the link, the interview warmed my heart a lot!
Yes, that's real high tech. That's PROFESSIONAL development. Platform independent, no half things, polished, and high performance on many platforms. That's the way it has to be. That's id soft.

the lone crouton said:

Given that cvscedega / wine etc. already run the game just about as fast as natively on windows

Are you sure? I very much doubt it.

cacodemon said:

Yeah, great news. I'll buy my DooM 3 box as soon as the Linux binaries are out and working.

me too