Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kompleet

No specular, No bump on my ATI ...

Hi, I 've got a notebook with a 2.4 ghz pentium 4, 512 ram, and an ati mobility radeon 7500 and I have a big problem :

The specular effects and bump are not working !!!
So the game is pretty ugly...

Any ideas ?

huhuhu

that's really helping me !

BTW, I use 3dsmax and never had any problem even with big models...

Fuck these commercial trick beetween nvidia and john carmack,

I will never bought a new card just for a simple game...

I suspect it's the age and power (rather than the make) of the card that's the problem. After all, the 7500 is 2 1/2 years old, and in the official Doom 3 requirements (i.e. what's said on the box), the Radeon graphics card listed as the minimum is the 8500.

New computers can quite easily come with fairly old components. I mean, I got my computer back in Autumn 2002 and it came with a then brand new Radeon 9700 graphics card, but it also had an ancient SB Awe32 sound card.

Have a look at the dates givens on the reviews listed here if you don't believe me. If you still don't believe me after that, look in the specs box on your Doom box at the bit where it says the minimum Radeon graphics card you should use is the 8500 ;).

The Radeon/Radeon Mobility 7500 is a DirectX 7-compliant card, not DX8. You need at least an 8500 for specular and bumpmap effects to work properly in Doom 3.

kompleet said:

And in 3dsmax 6 the specular works...

Does 3dsmax render the scenes in real time?

laptops are not made for gaming. so basicly forget about it. if you bought it for gameing you should have stuck with a desktop.

there is no way it will work well. needs at least 8500 and 64MB vRAM.

Hehe, i had a good time reading this thread ;-)
First of all, comparing 3DS Max with a running game is kinda tricky.. I dont see how you can do that :/

2nd, gaming on a laptop dot dot dot.
I know that in the last 2 years laptops has become smaller and better, but not ready for gaming just yet.. maybe in a few years.

3rd (and last) bought in 2003, well, alot if stuff can happen in the "computer world" in one year my friend :-D
You should try getting a stationary computers like the rest of the gamers :)

kompleet said:

I will never bought a new card just for a simple game...

you bought the game didn't you? you spent money "just for a simple game" have you not? if you dont got the required hardware don't buy the software! (assuming you did, however i have my doubts as a decent card only costs twice as much as the game itself...)

if ppl just read the required system specs on the bottom of the box they could rid themselves of money well wasted "just for a simple game". reading system specifications is simple too, try it sometime

yea, Like you wouldnt buy a CD if you dont have a cd drive, and like everyone said, laptops arent anywere near gaming compatibality(and portability) yet, so either chose one, Portability or gaming. They have the new DELL XPS witch is an AMAZING computer, muchless a laptop, so if you have endless amounts of money go for it.