Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arioch

Doom 3: Arena?

Recommended Posts

Some crazy Germans have released Q3toD3, which is a tool that automates the conversion process of changing Quake 3 maps over to the Doom 3 format. There are some limitations currently, mainly that shader effects aren't working (yet?) so there is no fog or texture animation, and texture placement is a bit odd, but the end result looks convincingly like the original level.

Share this post


Link to post

I think they did a great job on it, too bad I could never see myself wanting to do that. And they pushed newstuff down for the third time?! AH!

Share this post


Link to post

What exactly is the point of this? I think I'd rather play quake 3 maps with quake 3.

Share this post


Link to post

Neat trick, but without normal maps and specularity maps and gloss maps and appropriately moody lighting, the Doom 3 engine is just a bunch of polygons and looks no different from any other engine with a bunch of polygons. In fact this probably looks worse than Quake 3 because 1) it doesn't have the shaders and 2) Quake 3 was built to look good with precompiled lightmaps, not runtime-calculated non-scattering lighting.

Share this post


Link to post

IMO, they should replace the Q3A textures with D3 textures, since
1. the D3 textures look way better with normal and specular maps
2. it's illegal to rip the original Q3A textures

But in general I like the idea of playing in overhauled oldskool maps. A couple of years ago I had quite a bit of fun on Q3DM1 and Q3DM17.

Share this post


Link to post

I agree 99% with what Linguica said.... however

The dynamic lighting MIGHT look better in some maps, maybe not necessarily those that came with the game, but the team arena and mod maps might benefit

Im gonna try and see, but for the most part i dont think this will work out too well

now if somebody went and retextured the textures for quake 3 (not really retexturing, but adding normal maps) then ... there still might be issues

the maps in quake3 werent designed for doom3s weapons, id like to see how the rocket launcher woudl function in wide open areas.

What i really want to see are *conversions* of the quake 3 maps into doom3, using doom3s textures and items and *******, but quaek3 level design and geometry, which was excellent

also, does anybody know if doom3 supports the same jump and ramp entities? Could i convert the space maps like q3dm17 with the jumppads? or even basic maps like q3dm7 for that matter

Share this post


Link to post

You people are missing the REAL reason they did this: Slige for Doom3!!!!!11one Just use D2Q for Doom->Q2, this thing for Q2->Q3, and their tool for Q3->D3! FAME AND FORTUNE AWAIT!

It won't be long now before Woolie Wool gives us a TC for Doom3!

Share this post


Link to post

I don´t know what you people are complaining about. The guys did not simply convert the original Q3A maps. They created a tool with which mod makers can easily convert their maps into Doom3, as a basis to work on them from there. This will give us a whole lot of custom made stuff in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Deathmatcher said:

I don´t know what you people are complaining about. The guys did not simply convert the original Q3A maps. They created a tool with which mod makers can easily convert their maps into Doom3, as a basis to work on them from there. This will give us a whole lot of custom made stuff in the near future.


Yeah, seems pretty cool....

Share this post


Link to post
Revenant100 said:

You mean I could get my Doom 2 map into Doom 3? Wow, I wonder what it would look like in the end.


I haven't looked into these tools at all, but I imagine that you would end up with a rough version of the level geometry (I would think that the Doom->Q2 conversion would be the biggest problem). Dragging the texturing through the entire process probably wouldn't work very well, and even if it did the results would be like what you see in those screenshots - boring, uniformly lit rooms. Any of the GL Doom ports would probably look better.

Share this post


Link to post

I think this tool will be great for people who want to upgrade their Q3 project to D3.

I can imagine there's quite alot of people who want to do that.

Share this post


Link to post
kristus said:

I think this tool will be great for people who want to upgrade their Q3 project to D3.

I can imagine there's quite alot of people who want to do that.

This should also give the Doom 3 mapping community a nice boost. And in the future this will help every mapping community around any game based on the Doom 3 engine.

Share this post


Link to post
david_a said:

You people are missing the REAL reason they did this: Slige for Doom3!!!!!11one Just use D2Q for Doom->Q2, this thing for Q2->Q3, and their tool for Q3->D3! FAME AND FORTUNE AWAIT!

It won't be long now before Woolie Wool gives us a TC for Doom3!


You, my friend, are God.

Share this post


Link to post

I have a request. I don't know anything about building maps or even using this tool. I also realize this might spawn tons and tons of spam with people begging for map conversions, but this one really should be done, I think.

Would somebody convert the map ztn3tourney1 from Quake III to DOOM 3 and upload it somewhere? That is the greatest 1v1 map of all time (probably) and I would just like to get a rough, sketchy idea of how it might play in DOOM 3.

You can download the map here.

http://www.cyberfight.org/offline/files/f/59/

Share this post


Link to post
Deathmatcher said:

I don´t know what you people are complaining about. The guys did not simply convert the original Q3A maps. They created a tool with which mod makers can easily convert their maps into Doom3, as a basis to work on them from there. This will give us a whole lot of custom made stuff in the near future.

Um, arent the formats the same to begin with? unless this tool works with Bsps, then its only purpose os to do the retexturing, which as Linguica pointed out really isnt a big deal

david_a said:

I haven't looked into these tools at all, but I imagine that you would end up with a rough version of the level geometry (I would think that the Doom->Q2 conversion would be the biggest problem). Dragging the texturing through the entire process probably wouldn't work very well, and even if it did the results would be like what you see in those screenshots - boring, uniformly lit rooms. Any of the GL Doom ports would probably look better.

you can do a "Search and replace" for texturing any converted map, its faeture in the editor

Share this post


Link to post
Wobbo said:

you can do a "Search and replace" for texturing any converted map, its faeture in the editor


Sure, but any texture offsets would more than likely be lost, so you would have to go through and manually align all of them. There's also the issue of scale; 128 units in Doom is probably not the same as 128 units in any other engine, and I doubt that the proper scale is carried through all these conversions. Walls may end up being the wrong height/width. I don't really know anything about editing for newer game engines though, so maybe you can just tell a texture to stretch to fill a wall correctly no matter the size. In any case, I'm 100% positive the results will look worse than if you ran the original in JDoom or something.

Share this post


Link to post

(This is probably the most I've posted since I've joined, I guess now that I finally can actually be useful)

I've notice when fooling with the editor that D3 has a slightly larger scale. You can see this in the Q3toD3 screenshots - look at the steps in the first screenie, and the catwalk in the second. You'll probably need everything to be 1.1x or so in order to look proper, and not look like you're Andre the Giant.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×